• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netflix to Stream Films From Paramount, Lions Gate, MGM

Cool. Can you please help liberate me by PMing me with your social security number, birth date, and bank account passwords?
Help yourself, I have less than $100 to my name and $1,500 worth of medical bills Im trying to sort out. Go ahead, steal my identity :D

Maybe the reason those "cookie cutter movies and cliches" do so well at the box office is because people LIKE them.
Or because it's the only game in town

How exactly are independent studios harmed by the pay-for-access model anyway?
I dont recall claiming they were.

In five years, DVDs will be as dead as VHS tapes. It's all going to be streaming video.
I disagree. You are still going to need some form of portable media that doesnt require internet to use.

My sister, my mother, and pretty much all of my older extended family couldn't navigate their way around a computer if their life depended on it. Teaching them to download by torrent would be an exercise in futility.

Itunes and Netflix are recovering a lot of so-called "lost money" due to piracy by virtue of the fact that they are user friendly.

Torrents are the modern equivalent of a tape deck and a radio. There will always be an underground for content, and the damages will be exaggerated because private companies want to maximize profits. They can spare the change to launch campaigns against areas of loss, however non-noteworthy.

I think the real danger here is that government has largely been supportive of legislation to encroach upon net neutrality, and the reason is the same as the reason my mother and sister can't navigate a torrent: most people in government are old, and don't know nearly enough about computers to legislate properly. They are highly susceptible to industry propaganda.

Theft is the intentional removing of property from one person. Copying is not theft as no one is deprived of anything they own.

Some day, when you get older, perhaps you will understand the concept of intellectual property.

Some day, when you get older, perhaps you will understand the concept of intellectual property.
I find the idea of intellectual property to be ridiculous.

I find the idea of intellectual property to be ridiculous.

That's why I indicated you need more maturity before you are capable.

Perhaps you could explain to me why I should support the idea rather than engaging in the very same maturity level of behavior that you accuse me of.

Or because it's the only game in town

It's not. There are lots of independent movie studios and filmmakers NOW. Piracy reduces the incentive for anyone to go into the industry in the first place.

Hoplite said:
I disagree. You are still going to need some form of portable media that doesnt require internet to use.

Why? In five years, internet connectivity with new TVs will be standard. There will be a very blurry line between what is a computer and what is a television. As such, I see little reason for media that doesn't require internet. The range of circumstances when people will be without internet connectivity will be much smaller than it currently is.

Under the letter of the law, it isnt.

I support it for two reasons.

The first, I support the freedom of information. ALL information. Access to information is what makes a society free

Second is because it will eventually lead to the downfall of the Hollywood industry. Once the INDUSTRY is gone, it paves the way for more independent work, it clears out all the cookie cutter movies and cliches, it lowers the cost of consuming media for the average person, and we still get access to a wide variety of different media. We keep out creativity and urge to create but we lose the industrial side of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself, kudos to you sir.

I think the more mature stance, is not to hold information hostage, for the retarded belief that you should be able to infinitely profit off of something that no longer requires your labor.

Information is nearing it's economic maximum, replication of information costs virtually nothing, why should I continue to pay full price for it?

It's not. There are lots of independent movie studios and filmmakers NOW. Piracy reduces the incentive for anyone to go into the industry in the first place.
Is there any indication that piracy is putting a serious dent into anyone?

And the fact that there are lots of independant studios and filmmakers now suggests it IS still possible for them to survive even with the weight of all this piracy.

Why? In five years, internet connectivity with new TVs will be standard. There will be a very blurry line between what is a computer and what is a television. As such, I see little reason for media that doesn't require internet. The range of circumstances when people will be without internet connectivity will be much smaller than it currently is.
Except then you have to deal with the fact that wireless hotspots and connectivity are far from ubiquitous and it's going to be a LONG time before they are. DVDs dont have a buffer time and they require extremely cheap equipment to play them. I'll give you that there might be an update in delivery technology (discs may become chips or you may have the equivalent of micro-SD cards pre-loaded with moves or players that read these cards) but there will ALWAYS be a demand for hardcopy data.

I think the more mature stance, is not to hold information hostage, for the retarded belief that you should be able to infinitely profit off of something that no longer requires your labor.

Information is nearing it's economic maximum, replication of information costs virtually nothing, why should I continue to pay full price for it?

The other thing is that the movie industry still makes a profit on theatre showings and DVD sales. They always recoup the cost of making the film and then make extra, often even if the movie was crap. The attack on piracy is more about maximizing profits than it is about saving a dying industry. I still hold the belief that the industry can co-exist with pirating activities, it just doesn't want to, and it's using outdated IP laws to attack the information age.

I can't wait until humanity gets past this ownership of ideas stint. Our society will be so much better off.

Another "I want free stuff" poster! With his own twisted reason why the PRODUCERS of Entertainment that he wishes to obtain, do not deserve his money.

And a Libertarian thinking that people don't have the right to protect what is theirs... odd.

Im done with you. I have no interest in feeding a troll.

You mean you cannot counter the truth, that you wish to obtain IP that you have no right to, because you are incapable or unwilling to pay for it? It's called stealing, and you are a thief, your running away merely re-enforces your guilt.

Another "I want free stuff" poster! With his own twisted reason why the PRODUCERS of Entertainment that he wishes to obtain, do not deserve his money.

The facts are, producing information has become cheaper and has accelerated.
At the same time the length of ownership, which was originally set to a maximum of 22 years, has been extended to beyond death (now life of the author plus 60 years for individuals and 90 years for corporations).

The entertainer does not have a right to my money, his/her creative value is subjective.
If he/she wants me to buy it, they need to let me see/read/hear what I'm buying first.

And a Libertarian thinking that people don't have the right to protect what is theirs... odd.

If it is your's, then stop me from taking it.
Reality trumps crazy.

The other thing is that the movie industry still makes a profit on theatre showings and DVD sales. They always recoup the cost of making the film and then make extra, often even if the movie was crap. The attack on piracy is more about maximizing profits than it is about saving a dying industry. I still hold the belief that the industry can co-exist with pirating activities, it just doesn't want to, and it's using outdated IP laws to attack the information age.

I can't wait until humanity gets past this ownership of ideas stint. Our society will be so much better off.

Just a classic example of industry protectionism and the "something for nothing" attitude that some people hold.
In time it will pass.

The facts are, producing information has become cheaper and has accelerated.
At the same time the length of ownership, which was originally set to a maximum of 22 years, has been extended to beyond death (now life of the author plus 60 years for individuals and 90 years for corporations).

The entertainer does not have a right to my money, his/her creative value is subjective.
If he/she wants me to buy it, they need to let me see/read/hear what I'm buying first.

If it is your's, then stop me from taking it.
Reality trumps crazy.

Dont even bother. He's not interested in anything someone has to say that conflicts with his worldview.

Dont even bother. He's not interested in anything someone has to say that conflicts with his worldview.

Oh I understand, I like to get Vich all pent up with frustration.

No one can defeat the economic argument of it.
It's completely sound.

Information is approaching perfect competition.
Perfect competition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All the barriers being thrown up are an attempt to retain or set up monopolistic powers.
They will all be utter failures.

Last edited:
Use Pirate Bay, then you dont have to pay ANYTHING :)

Screw that. For the most part, Netflix's streaming service has tremendous benefits over torrenting the files. Far more convenient, far more reliable, little need of user storage space, and perfectly legal for a legitimate monthly fee. Most encodes offered are not tremendously better on torrent sites, if not worse than what is available on Netflix.

Last edited:
Actually, just for you, I started a fresh thread to give this debate a proper and straight format. I have addressed the issue, and dare you, or any of your fellow "IP is an IDEA MAN" folks to come debate the subject.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...0-dishonesty-intellectual-property-theft.html
I have no interest in participating as you seem to have none either. You use loaded language and insults, ignoring what I say. It's clear that nothing will ever make you even think about budging from your position and I have no interest in such a Sisyphean task

So, from this logic, why do you not obey their wishes....and not view their content and support others with your frame of mind?

It would suppose to me that if you take this ideology seriously enough, you should forfeit your entire relationship between said studios and their property, since it is not offered in the standards you desire.

You can go elsewhere, no? If the content is not up to your standards, you'll just have to wait for the outdated and dying industry to come to its senses and in the mean time, support those who already came to their senses.

Last edited:
I love Netflix.

Screw that. For the most part, Netflix's streaming service has tremendous benefits over torrenting the files. Far more convenient, far more reliable, little need of user storage space, and perfectly legal for a legitimate monthly fee. Most encodes offered are not tremendously better on torrent sites, if not worse than what is available on Netflix.

So, from this logic, why do you not obey their wishes....and not view their content and support others with your frame of mind?

It would suppose to me that if you take this ideology seriously enough, you should forfeit your entire relationship between said studios and their property, since it is not offered in the standards you desire.

You can go elsewhere, no? If the content is not up to your standards, you'll just have to wait for the outdated and dying industry to come to its senses and in the mean time, support those who already came to their senses.

The industry won't comply with the market if no one puts pressure on them to do so.
I buy what I like, not what I don't like.

Should I get a refund, on the time I wasted, watching terribly made movies?

Back
Top Bottom