• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netflix - The Social Dilemma

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's called a documentary. Not sure I agree with that.

Anyone watched this yet?

‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Unplug and Run - The New York Times

This documentary from Jeff Orlowski explores how addiction and privacy breaches are features, not bugs, of social media platforms.

Some of the "dramatic" stuff revolving around the family was at best humorous, and at worst just silly. Most of it fell somewhere in between that.

There was a lot of fear-mongering, and finger pointing, with very little attempt to explain how to change anything happening.

I don't think anybody who has a realistic idea of what's going on with the internet and social media should be surprised.

To paraphrase the show:

Everything you do on a computer when you're attached to the internet is recorded, filtered, and analysed. Then used (against you?) in a way to get you to spend your money, or vote, or perhaps even take up arms against your government. Specifically spotlighting social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and a few others plus companies like Google.

Anyone else seen it?

Thoughts?

It's called a documentary. Not sure I agree with that.

Anyone watched this yet?

‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Unplug and Run - The New York Times

Some of the "dramatic" stuff revolving around the family was at best humorous, and at worst just silly. Most of it fell somewhere in between that.

There was a lot of fear-mongering, and finger pointing, with very little attempt to explain how to change anything happening.

I don't think anybody who has a realistic idea of what's going on with the internet and social media should be surprised.

To paraphrase the show:

Everything you do on a computer when you're attached to the internet is recorded, filtered, and analysed. Then used (against you?) in a way to get you to spend your money, or vote, or perhaps even take up arms against your government. Specifically spotlighting social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and a few others plus companies like Google.

Anyone else seen it?

Thoughts?

I agree with the bolded part above.

Now, I can't watch the program as I don't have Netflix. So I don't want to provide an uniformed opinion on the production itself.

I can say this about my own "Social Media" usage and my opinion of the bolded part cited above.

I spent my pre-teen and teenaged years prior to social media. Hell, while the first "personal computers" hit the scene in the late 70's they weren't worth the expense. It wasn't until the late 80's that the "internet" became a "thing" and even then it was mostly BBS (bulletin board system) which wasn't very interesting.

Not until AOL came out was the effort worthwhile for social interaction. Then more and more developments like MySpace, Facebook, and the current enhanced accessibilities made it not only more popular, but almost a social necessity.

Having experienced all that, these days I just use YouTube (even in it's debased Google-controlled format) mostly for music and entertainment, and THIS Forum for political discussion.

So I have seen how an innocent information access system has come to control the lives of people with ever increasing "connectivity." There are even talks of wiring people directly into the system, as if the current handheld access is not enough.

I believe I know exactly what is going on with the Interweb. A few very brilliant people are trying to develop methods of controlling social thought and they are doing a damn good job of it when it comes to those who've grown up with it and want to be more "linked in."

IMO their goal is to control, or at the very least guide, society as a whole in whatever direction they think is best for humanity. Much like Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" using the internet as a form of Soma.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read about it, I’d rather vote for Biden than watch this movie.

Now, I can't watch the program as I don't have Netflix. So I don't want to provide an uniformed opinion on the production itself.

All digital products and information are free if you know where to look.

Moderator's Warning:
Please do not link to pirate or suspected pirate websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom