• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neil deGrasse Tyson Under Investigation for Rape

BrainNebula

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Neil deGrasse Tyson Under Investigation at Fox, Nat Geo Following Sexual Misconduct Accusations

On Nov. 8, Patheos published an interview with Tchiya Amet, who says Tyson drugged and raped her in 1984 when they were both grad students. On Thursday, two more women came forward with accusations in Patheos: Dr. Katelyn N. Allers, an associate professor of physics and astronomy at Bucknell University who says she was “felt up” by Tyson at a party in 2009, and his former assistant Ashley Watson, who said she quit her job because of Tyson’s sexual advances.

Source

There's a woman who says Ronald Reagan raped her. There's a woman who says Bill Clinton raped her. We need more than one woman.

And "felt up" at a party and sexual advances at work are not in the same category so lets not lump them together.

And I never believed that the allegations against Kavanaugh were sufficient to block him. I always said the problem with Kavanaugh was that he clearly lied about his yearbook and drinking.

Anyway, I've learned to wait and see with these stories. If it's just one woman nothing will come of this. If it's 0.2 Bill Cosby units then Neil is screwed.

He's so likable it's hard to believe.

There's a woman who says Ronald Reagan raped her. There's a woman who says Bill Clinton raped her. We need more than one woman.

And "felt up" at a party and sexual advances at work are not in the same category so lets not lump them together.

And I never believed that the allegations against Kavanaugh were sufficient to block him. I always said the problem with Kavanaugh was that he clearly lied about his yearbook and drinking.

Anyway, I've learned to wait and see with these stories. If it's just one woman nothing will come of this. If it's 0.2 Bill Cosby units then Neil is screwed.

He's so likable it's hard to believe.

There's 3 women and 1 woman claims he drugged and raped her in the 1980's, so I'm not lumping anything together.

I like him better than that fake scientist, Bill Nye.

There's 3 women and 1 woman claims he drugged and raped her in the 1980's, so I'm not lumping anything together.

If that is true, it is utterly horrific. But during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings, I expressed my thoughts and feelings regarding acts of sexual impropriety (up to and including rape and attempted rape): I have to wait to see more evidence before I simply accept an accusation as true. And the more I disagree with someone politically, the more important it is for me to give that person the benefit of the doubt, in order to correct for my own ideological bias. In this case, I do believe Tyson is generally on the political left (though I do not follow him particularly heavily). I believe that since I am a conservative, it is therefore incumbent on me to give the man the benefit of the doubt while listening to the accusers and weighing their evidence with the gravity it deserves.

If that is true, it is utterly horrific. But during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings, I expressed my thoughts and feelings regarding acts of sexual impropriety (up to and including rape and attempted rape): I have to wait to see more evidence before I simply accept an accusation as true. And the more I disagree with someone politically, the more important it is for me to give that person the benefit of the doubt, in order to correct for my own ideological bias. In this case, I do believe Tyson is generally on the political left (though I do not follow him particularly heavily). I believe that since I am a conservative, it is therefore incumbent on me to give the man the benefit of the doubt while listening to the accusers and weighing their evidence with the gravity it deserves.

Neil deGrasse Tyson regularly tries to remain apolitical. He will almost never answer a direct political question. It does seem he's on the political Left, however, given his push of issues like global warming. He not only supports the reported evidence that is seen now, but he supports the projections and radical changes, which are much more political in nature.

Exactly.
As I read what seems like the weekly rape charges against someone famous I am beginning to feel like a Saint. And I believe most of my friends are Saints too now unless there is a woman out there who hasn't came forth about them.

I mean what the hell is going on? Am still waiting to open the newspaper someday and see accusations against Fred Rogers to come out.

I'm starting to wonder if Twitter has been suppressing this from trending because a lot of people were Tweeting about it yet it never trended. It seems strange that such a big story isn't trending.

Neil deGrasse Tyson Under Investigation at Fox, Nat Geo Following Sexual Misconduct Accusations

Source

More #metoo crap.

IF The Kavanaugh circus taught us anything it is to VEHEMENTLY safeguard the presumption of innocence and due process whenever ANY heinous allegation as are made. If these accusers wish to pursue the matter then it is on them to dig up SOME sort of corroborating evidence. As we saw with Kavanaugh there are those in society who wish to ignore this and believe accusations such as Ford made without any supporting evidence of any kind and even in opposition to evidence.

For the most part Tyson is not very political and sticks to teaching science especially astronomy. However he IS a political target. Many would love to discredit and destroy the man because he is black. He is a high achiever who has done well in life with some help but mainly on merit. This flies smack in the face of what left wingers preach because a black kid cannot succeed in such a fashion at least according to left wing racists.

I'll wait to heard or see evidence which will likely never materialize but until it does he is innocent.

You really think that Tyson's accusers are going to get to testify publicly in front of Congress?

First, only one testified and, like Kavanaugh, it doesn't mean anything since there is no evidence.

Second, even if there was, the statute of limitations is long over.

It does seem he's on the political Left, however, given his push of issues like global warming.

All scientists are now leftists with a political agenda, according to Trump and many conservatives.

This flies smack in the face of what left wingers preach because a black kid cannot succeed in such a fashion at least according to left wing racists.

You don't realize you're beating up a straw man?

First, only one testified and, like Kavanaugh, it doesn't mean anything since there is no evidence.

Second, even if there was, the statute of limitations is long over.

Only one testified in front of Congress, but another got an interview with the news.

Most scientists actually are Leftists.

If believing in climate change makes you a leftist. If believing in treating gays, Muslims and illegal immigrants with compassion makes you a leftist. Even the Bush family are now leftists according to today's deplorable conservatives.

More #metoo crap.

IF The Kavanaugh circus taught us anything it is to VEHEMENTLY safeguard the presumption of innocence and due process whenever ANY heinous allegation as are made. If these accusers wish to pursue the matter then it is on them to dig up SOME sort of corroborating evidence. As we saw with Kavanaugh there are those in society who wish to ignore this and believe accusations such as Ford made without any supporting evidence of any kind and even in opposition to evidence.

For the most part Tyson is not very political and sticks to teaching science especially astronomy. However he IS a political target. Many would love to discredit and destroy the man because he is black. He is a high achiever who has done well in life with some help but mainly on merit. This flies smack in the face of what left wingers preach because a black kid cannot succeed in such a fashion at least according to left wing racists.

I'll wait to heard or see evidence which will likely never materialize but until it does he is innocent.

Speaking of being full of unsupported assumptions ^^.

Exactly.
As I read what seems like the weekly rape charges against someone famous I am beginning to feel like a Saint. And I believe most of my friends are Saints too now unless there is a woman out there who hasn't came forth about them.

I mean what the hell is going on? Am still waiting to open the newspaper someday and see accusations against Fred Rogers to come out.

Fred Rogers? He had his hand up that princess puppets skirt every episode!

Neil deGrasse Tyson regularly tries to remain apolitical. He will almost never answer a direct political question. It does seem he's on the political Left, however, given his push of issues like global warming. He not only supports the reported evidence that is seen now, but he supports the projections and radical changes, which are much more political in nature.

LMAO, a clear admission that understanding science is not something the right feels necessary to adhere to :doh

If believing in climate change makes you a leftist. If believing in treating gays, Muslims and illegal immigrants with compassion makes you a leftist. Even the Bush family are now leftists according to today's deplorable conservatives.

I didn't realize supporting illegal immigration, which leads to the rape and sex trafficking of many women in children is compassion. I didn't realize that allowing people to come in illegally, steal the social security numbers of others, and cost us money while we have homeless people that don't receive help is compassion. Is it compassionate to feed a stranger while your child starves? Also, notice how little of what you are mentioning actually has to do with science. Climate change is the only thing, and you create a strawman about whether climate change exists at all rather than the more popular debated what should be done about climate change. I didn't realize that it's common for scientists to all come to the same conclusion about what we should do about problems. I guess I grew up back in the day where scientists were supposed to be skeptical, and a diversity of opinions on what to do about an issue was considered healthy. Now we're expected to all believe in one cure or be considered anti-science.

Back
Top Bottom