• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Left Is Just as Guilty of Anti-Science as Right

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
We've covered this topic before, but it's interesting that he who left wingers suppose is the Dean of "Left wingers are reason based" is saying this.

And he said it on Bill Maher's show. Maher is an exemplar of anti-science bullcrap from the left.

Tyson appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher last week and said that both parties are hotbeds of scientific idiocy—it’s just compartmentalized into different issues. The context of this debate being that Maher himself is the embodiment of liberal anti-science ideas.

“Don’t be all high and mighty there,” Tyson said to Maher, interrupting Maher’s anti-Repbulican screed. “Because there is certain aspects of science denial that are squarely in the liberal left.”

“I know one, but I don’t want to get into it,” Maher replied, subtly denoting vaccine skepticism.

Tyson lists the anti-vaccine movement, alternative medicine and opposition to genetically modified organisms as examples of left wing anti-science. Most of these movements were kickstarted by leftist new agers in California, causing serious public health repercussions to the country.

Whooping cough is at epidemic levels in California, babies have died from parents treating their child’s curable illnesses with herbal remedies, and the proliferation of genetically modified golden rice has been stymied by activists.

Maher was less receptive to Tyson’s argument, which is not surprising, as he is guilty of many of the left’s anti-science dumbassery.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Left Is Just as Guilty of Anti-Science as Right | Heat Street

He's right.

We've covered this topic before, but it's interesting that he who left wingers suppose is the Dean of "Left wingers are reason based" is saying this.

Where did you get this from? He's a very smart guy, and I like him very much. I also think it's very important to point out idiocy whether it's creationism or hatred of GMO's or vaccines. But why do you try to put it as if leftwingers expect him to never criticize them?

My best guess is that your reason behind this thead is the same as all of your others. You're very upset that conservatives are generally deemed as "stupid" and you want to stick it to those stupid leftwingers and show them that they are even "stupider".

The left has become very intolerant of any challenges to their dogma.
I wounder if they throw Degrasse under the bus?

I know that you simply had a typo on "wonder" but it's so perfectly fitting because the question is so stupid. As if the left will swarm around him and take his first born for simply pointing out that some liberals believe stupid incorrect things.

What you will see is a few articles possibly expressing outrage from lefty blogs, maybe a few arguing "but the stuff conservatives believe is way worse!" and you'll find a handful from some from conservative sites saying "see! they be's a dumb too!" and it will have a headline like "Tyson destoys Maher and leftists!" And then it will all be over. No one's getting thrown under the bus. Quit being silly.

I know that you simply had a typo on "wonder" but it's so perfectly fitting because the question is so stupid. As if the left will swarm around him and take his first born for simply pointing out that some liberals believe stupid incorrect things.

What you will see is a few articles possibly expressing outrage from lefty blogs, maybe a few arguing "but the stuff conservatives believe is way worse!" and you'll find a handful from some from conservative sites saying "see! they be's a dumb too!" and it will have a headline like "Tyson destoys Maher and leftists!" And then it will all be over. No one's getting thrown under the bus. Quit being silly.
Sorry, for the typo,
I was just pointing out that the left can be very intolerant of someone questioning their beliefs.

I was just pointing out that the left can be very intolerant of someone questioning their beliefs.

You know who else doesn't like having their beliefs questioned? Most people on the planet.

Go in to the abortion forum and post "I think that woman should be able to do with her body as she wishes" and see the 'tolerance' displayed.

Quit thinking "Left! Bad!... Right! Good!" Because there are stupid and intelligent people on both sides. And Tyson made a very good observation here.

You know who else doesn't like having their beliefs questioned? Most people on the planet.

Go in to the abortion forum and post "I think that woman should be able to do with her body as she wishes" and see the 'tolerance' displayed.

Quit thinking "Left! Bad!... Right! Good!" Because there are stupid and intelligent people on both sides. And Tyson made a very good observation here.

All too often, the definition of "stupid" is "one who doesn't agree with me."

Agreed. And the people that use that definition are stupid, because they don't agree with me...

:poke

No Maggie, sometimes stupid is just stupid.

Vaccines don't cause autism.

Blind use of alternative medicine can kill

Technically, we've been genetically modifying crops since the beginning of agriculture.

Man made climate change is reality.

Evolution is fact.

Science. Done.

People in general have certain things they don't believe in when it comes to scientific understanding. The fact is there are things that people are uncomfortable with, unhappy about or would like to be in a certain way, and they are many times not open to correction on those issues when their beliefs are factually incorrect. That reality is a large part of what politics is about.

That's because the nature of dogma is that it is unassailable. Dogma is the believing in a concept for which there is a lack of credible evidence in support of that belief. It's a belief in "The Word".

Tyson is correct.

As long as he doesnt mention LGBTQQAAQASATRRALVAAABA issues...he should be fine.

Stupid is the inability or refusal to learn. Stupid is being rigid and unwilling to change despite evidence which demonstrates a need to.

Now that is a true statement, most definitely.

Technically, we've been genetically modifying crops since the beginning of agriculture.

Evolution is fact.

Science. Done.

Uh huh. Sure whatever you say bub. :roll:

Evolution is fact.

Science. Done.

Man assisted Climate Change....not man made.

Your talking about the girly men right?
Girly men, manly girls, robots with no sexual organs or identity, people that pretend they are both men and women depending on what time of day it is, etc...you get the picture. But yeah...as long as he doesnt suggest "gender fluid" defies biological science, he is fine.

Girly men, manly girls, robots with no sexual organs or identity, people that pretend they are both men and women depending on what time of day it is, etc...you get the picture. But yeah...as long as he doesnt suggest "gender fluid" defies biological science, he is fine.

:lamo Shhhhh don't say anything about the girly men Tyson or you will become pariah like us. Unless of course he wants to join the dark side. I love the dark it's fun.

Here he is helping Bill Nye battle rap verses Sir Isaac Newton.

Science fans on both sides of the aisle love Dr. Tyson. The folks who call GMOs frankenfood and think vaccines cause autism weren't likely Dr. Tyson fans to begin with. He has been calling out the anti-science people on both sides from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom