• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neighbors Want Family's Handicap Ramp Removed

I wonder how much their property values will suffer when someone with an interest in purchasing a home in their neighborhood and finds this story, I'm guessing a lot more than a handi-cap ramp.

It takes the IQ of a turnip to complain about a handicap ramp medically required for a neighbor's child. These people are going to end up being the victims of anonymous hate mail themselves, self-important prigs that they are.

Unless I'm misreading the article, there is one neighbor whose mental condition was not identified, who complained. Must be a light news day.

Unless I'm misreading the article, there is one neighbor whose mental condition was not identified, who complained. Must be a light news day.

I didn't see anything about the complaining neighbor having a mental condition, and the community's builder acknowledges that there have been complaints, plural. Threatening people with a lawsuit unless they remove the ramp they need to care for their daughter is a crap thing to do, however. Karma's a bitch. ;)

I do think the ramp is ugly. I also think that aesthetics takes a back seat to the needs for the ramp. Ugliness is overruled.

Now, if it were me, I would plant shrubs and/or plants to hide the ramp as much as possible. But, I would do that whether other people complained or not. It would be part of my original planning.

I didn't see anything about the complaining neighbor having a mental condition, and the community's builder acknowledges that there have been complaints, plural. Threatening people with a lawsuit unless they remove the ramp they need to care for their daughter is a crap thing to do, however. Karma's a bitch. ;)

Nah, I'm the one who fabricated the mental condition. I (think) my point is that whomever the complainant was they a) don't have much of a case and b) all they could hope to accomplish was to earn a Grinch award.

I do think the ramp is ugly. I also think that aesthetics takes a back seat to the needs for the ramp. Ugliness is overruled.

Now, if it were me, I would plant shrubs and/or plants to hide the ramp as much as possible. But, I would do that whether other people complained or not. It would be part of my original planning.

I guaran-damn-tee that if you or someone you loved was confined to a wheelchair, that ramp would be the most beautiful piece of infrastructure on the planet!! :lol:

I guaran-damn-tee that if you or someone you loved was confined to a wheelchair, that ramp would be the most beautiful piece of infrastructure on the planet!! :lol:

It can be beautiful and "gussied up" at the same time. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

They sure did the whole "bare bones industrial" look on the ramp.

I certainly don't fault them for putting the ramp in but it was just plain stupid to use that design. Among other things, getting any kind of furniture into the house is going to suck.:confused:

Neighbors Want Family's Handicap Ramp Removed; Lawyer Weighs In

Neighbors Want Family's Handicap Ramp Removed; Lawyer Weighs In

The neighbors who are complaining sound like idiots. I'm not sure why they would think that the ramp would hurt their property values in the first place.

Plus, there is no HOA in that neighborhood, so those restrictions wouldn't prevent it. And the family satisfied the city's permit/zoning restrictions when they installed it. I can't imagine how the neighbors who complained think they have any leg to stand on if they take it to court.

I would love to pay a visit to that neighborhood.

While I agree that it could/should be gussied up to reduce the impact, and I would likely be the one to volunteer my services to these people to do so if I was within reasonable range, the neighbors can go shove a shovel where the sun don't shine, and I would gladly tell them so.

There before the Grace......

The family have every right to do as they did, and the complainants are entirely in the wrong.
Having said that, it's a new development. Why would a family needing wheelchair access choose a house on a slope? Even the driveway isn't level for getting into her special van.

I'm not sure where you found that - maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough. But, actually, that makes sense. When a neighbor has done something that involves changing the front of their home construction-wise, in this case, obviously moving the 'building line' forward, a neighbor's first line of defense is a call to the Building & Zoning Department. That call would have let the gruntled neighbor know that the structure alteration was legal. End of story.

As far as the builder saying there were multiple complaints, complaints are one thing..."Jesus! That ramp is ugly. Shouldn't be allowed." Threatening a lawsuit? Pfft.

Possible outcome: all homes in the area will be required to have handicap ramps installed.

What a bunch of douchebags, honestly. They better hope that they retain the use of their legs for - always.

You know - I think it's a pretty snazzy ramp. It's obviously new, where I life no one would make the effort to install a cement ramp, they'd just sort of stack up cinder blocks and try to sort of make some type of a thing out of plywood.

They sure did the whole "bare bones industrial" look on the ramp.

I certainly don't fault them for putting the ramp in but it was just plain stupid to use that design. Among other things, getting any kind of furniture into the house is going to suck.:confused:

Right - like a cement driveway looks any different? :roll: . . . Some flowers, some trees. No one will even see it after a while. Whoop dee doo.

Just another example of why people shouldn't have a say what other people do with their property. I know, I know, what about a dam! :roll:

The neighbors are ******* morons. They should be ridiculed by everyone that get's a chance and be made to feel like the pieces of crap they are.

I'm not sure where you found that - maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough. But, actually, that makes sense. When a neighbor has done something that involves changing the front of their home construction-wise, in this case, obviously moving the 'building line' forward, a neighbor's first line of defense is a call to the Building & Zoning Department. That call would have let the gruntled neighbor know that the structure alteration was legal. End of story.

As far as the builder saying there were multiple complaints, complaints are one thing..."Jesus! That ramp is ugly. Shouldn't be allowed." Threatening a lawsuit? Pfft.

I based it on this wording in the article:
"We're sending a letter today to the neighbor, and again, the tone of that letter is very explanatory. Just hoping that if they understand the law, that this problem will be resolved. Of course, if they want to meet, we'd certainly be open to a meeting," Robertson told 11 News.

The Gieseghs neighborhood doesn't have an HOA, and the family says the city of Fountain told them it was ok to install the ramp and widen their driveway for a handicap van

The neighbor was singular so I promptly extrapolated what I wanted to hear:) because I'm as tricky as a politician.

Since there is no HOA, there is no way "the neighbor" can win. Even if there was...I'm not sure. I'll ask my HOA how they would react. Of course, I live in a townhouse, not single family, so I could understand how much fear and loathing that question would generate but I'm on the board so **** 'em. I might just build one for the cats.

Ever look at a news story and just hope and pray this isnt from your country, let alone state?

Like the daughter that requires the ramp, I dont know that the neighbors will have a firm leg to stand on.

The ramp doesn't look great but I wouldn't call it ugly. Plants and shrubs would improve the curb appeal and I would have put them in too but it's hardly an eyesore and it's clearly new construction. It's reasonable to believe they'll be putting them in as they get settled. Either way, it's not like it looks like an abandoned home or anything.

I don't understand why people need to start trouble in their own neighborhoods. They obviously aren't going to be making any friends and it doesn't sound like they have a legal leg to stand on.

Last edited:
handicap+ramp.jpg2.jpg

As far as ramps go it's really not that bad looking. If the neighbors cared so much they would've offered to put the bushes around the ramp for them instead of spending their money on a lawyer. This country is getting uglier by the minute.

What an uppity hood. I had a renter once that was in a wheel chair and I built him a plywood ramp up the front stairs that was not real pretty but I didn't want to make anything permanent for a renter. Nobody and I mean NOBODY complained.

Back
Top Bottom