• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neighbors upset downstate school has been converted to strip club

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I would like to visit this strip club. I wonder if most of the dancers dress as school girls, teachers, school nurses,girl's coaches and principals?

School turned strip club: Neighbors upset school has been converted to strip club - chicagotribune.com

Nancy Ward isn't happy about what's become of Pioneer School, which served for more than 50 years as both a place of learning and a community center where people gathered to sing hymns, attend 4-H meetings and sell homemade pies.

About six months ago, the vacant elementary school bordered by homes on a rural highway was converted into a strip club called The School House. Downstate residents are still fuming.

"It's a whorehouse," said Ward, co-owner of a nearby garden center where she and her husband live. "I honestly don't feel as safe here as what I did. And the name they gave it — that is unbelievable. There's nobody in there learning anything, I guarantee you."

The school about 60 miles south of Champaign was sold by the Neoga school district in 2002 for $36,800. Now, three nights a week, as many as 10 topless dancers perform in the former cafeteria on a small stage with a mirrored backdrop set that includes two stripper poles under black lights.

Property values near a school are higher for a reason. Property values near a strip club are lower for a reason.

Yeah.

The zoning laws and ignorant prejudice.

What's so ignorant about it? So now we have to be PC about having strip clubs in our neighborhoods? I don't think so, Jack.

where's the problem?
the government sold the surplus property
a businessman bought it
there was no prohibitive zoning restriction which would have ended the possibility such an establishment could be operated at that location
and appearently there is a demand for this service, causing the businessman to put his resources at risk
i say again, where is the problem?

where's the problem?
a businessman bought it
there was no prohibitive zoning restriction which would have ended the possibility such an establishment could be operated at that location
and appearently there is a demand for this service, causing the businessman to put his resources at risk

I'm saying they have a right to be upset as they watch their property values go down. They have a right to be upset that their (presumably) quiet neighborhood is going to be loud at 1 am (or whenever the club closes). They have a right to be upset that where once the school was quiet at night, now there will be testosterone and alcohol infused men fighting, peeing and yelling, "Did you see the TITS on that one??"

I'm not saying it's illegal or immoral. I'm saying that stuff can go downtown. I wouldn't want it where I live, and I'd be upset, as well.

Last edited:
What's so ignorant about it? So now we have to be PC about having strip clubs in our neighborhoods? I don't think so, Jack.

I've always thought that strip clubs should only be zoned in a business district. I wouldn't be happy about one down the street from my house.

When I was a kid we used to go to the school yard and play during the summer, sometimes on weekends. It was a great place to hang out....swings, slides, monkey bars, etc.

I wonder if the strip club retained any of those items in the purchase?

:?:

When I was a kid we used to go to the school yard and play during the summer, sometimes on weekends. It was a great place to hang out....swings, slides, monkey bars, etc.

Now they have naked mud wrestling pit:mrgreen:

Good point, Missy. Maybe in these tough economic times, they were able to. :shrug:

I paid a premium to build my house near the schools. I would not be happy if one closed, and a strip club moved in. I would guarentee that I would have a difficult time selling the house.

I'm saying they have a right to be upset as they watch their property values go down. They have a right to be upset that their (presumably) quiet neighborhood is going to be loud at 1 am (or whenever the club closes). They have a right to be upset that where once the school was quiet at night, now there will be testosterone and alcohol infused men fighting, peeing and yelling, "Did you see the TITS on that one??"

I'm not saying it's illegal or immoral. I'm saying that stuff can go downtown. I wouldn't want it where I live, and I'd be upset, as well.
I've always thought that strip clubs should only be zoned in a business district. I wouldn't be happy about one down the street from my house.

those posts confirm i failed to make my point
there are many who oppose government intrusion, inclusing any form of zoning, in the belief that they should be able to do whatever they want on their property
but when they buy in an unzoned area they should not complain when someone else buys nearby and establishes a facility of their own choosing

these residents are monday morning quarterbacking. they failed to perform due dilligence when they bought/rented in their location. had they done that they would have been able to recognize that there were no zoning regulations which would prevent them from having such a neighborhood enterprise which they might oppose

it appears to be a matter of caveat emptor - or alternatively, hypocrisy; where residents wanted to live in an unzoned location so they could use their property any way they want but simultaneously expect to be able to object to how another property owner chooses to use his neighboring property

there are many who oppose government intrusion, inclusing any form of zoning, in the belief that they should be able to do whatever they want on their property
but when they buy in an unzoned area they should not complain when someone else buys nearby and establishes a facility of their own choosing

these residents are monday morning quarterbacking. they failed to perform due dilligence when they bought/rented in their location. had they done that they would have been able to recognize that there were no zoning regulations which would prevent them from having such a neighborhood enterprise which they might oppose

it appears to be a matter of caveat emptor - or alternatively, hypocrisy; where residents wanted to live in an unzoned location so they could use their property any way they want but simultaneously expect to be able to object to how another property owner chooses to use his neighboring property

Ahhhh. Yeah, I wasn't getting that from your first post. ;)

Last edited:

Build a 24 hour liquor store, a McDonald's and you'll have prime bachelor real estate.

All 3 of life's necessities in one place. :2razz:

where's the problem?
a businessman bought it

I have to agree here. I mean, this was all done legally. That people don't like it means they can move somewhere else if it bothers them that much. This is a free country so...

Where do you get that it was unzoned? I didn't see that in the article, but admittedly I skimmed it. What I did see, however, was that the club failed to specify what type of club it was when it applied for its permits.

What's ignorant about it?

Let's see...

What is said in the article?

"It doesn't serve alcohol and has never been cited by authorities, and only one person has been arrested there — for damaging club property."

Hmmm...doesn't serve alcohol...

So where did you come up with "...alcohol infused men fighting, peeing and yelling..."? It looks like nothing more than your prejudiced expectation based on ignorance of the situation.

And another point:

"Residents here have happily lived alongside other sometimes-noisy organizations, such as the Central Illinois Motorcycle Club and the bar that opened in an old church up the road."

So, apparently it's not because of potential noise or because of possible drunken behavior (which is a moot point with a place that does not serve alcohol). Otherwise people would have been complaining about those ventures as well.

It's knee-jerk prejudice.

What's ignorant about it?

Let's see...

What is said in the article?

"It doesn't serve alcohol and has never been cited by authorities, and only one person has been arrested there — for damaging club property."

Hmmm...doesn't serve alcohol...

So where did you come up with "...alcohol infused men fighting, peeing and yelling..."? It looks like nothing more than your prejudiced expectation based on ignorance of the situation.

And another point:

"Residents here have happily lived alongside other sometimes-noisy organizations, such as the Central Illinois Motorcycle Club and the bar that opened in an old church up the road."

So, apparently it's not because of potential noise or because of possible drunken behavior (which is a moot point with a place that does not serve alcohol). Otherwise people would have been complaining about those ventures as well.
It's knee-jerk prejudice.

emphasis on the jerk

Apparently it was zoned for business. They got a business permit.

Just curious...

Would your opinion change if they maintained the playground?

Say they fenced the property so that it was completely isolated from the building and the business. Let's even say that the club is only open at night, so they close the playground before the club opens. (It couldn't be done because of the "1000 ft" law that they have since enacted, so this is completely hypothetical.)

Where do you get that it was unzoned? I didn't see that in the article, but admittedly I skimmed it. What I did see, however, was that the club failed to specify what type of club it was when it applied for its permits.

So what?

They were not required to.

They went through the process to get their business permits. Where is the grounds for complaint?

It was either unzoned or zoned to include businesses. Again, the owners went through the correct process to get their business permits. If the property is not zoned to permit a business, they could not have gotten a business permit for that property. QED.

If the neighborhood succeeds in kicking them out, they will most likely have to compensate the owners for the expense of moving their business.

Back
Top Bottom