• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neighbor Was Hacked

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I traded email addresses with my neighbor a few years back. He is the type that sends racy jokes and vignettes that I consider a nuisance. We got on the same page, but he kept my email address.

After not hearing from him in years, I get a message this morning about how he is laid up and can I get him an ITUNES card for his niece. I called his house and got the machine. I responded to the email asking for the amount and email address of his niece. Didn’t hear back......a half hour later I get his wife on the phone and she tells me they have been hacked.

I never sent any money; what do I need to do now that this guy/gal has my email address?

I traded email addresses with my neighbor a few years back. He is the type that sends racy jokes and vignettes that I consider a nuisance. We got on the same page, but he kept my email address.

After not hearing from him in years, I get a message this morning about how he is laid up and can I get him an ITUNES card for his niece. I called his house and got the machine. I responded to the email asking for the amount and email address of his niece. Didn’t hear back......a half hour later I get his wife on the phone and she tells me they have been hacked.

I never sent any money; what do I need to do now that this guy/gal has my email address?

If they just have your email address, not really much to worry about, especially if you didn't click any links or open any files in the email.

For peace of mind, go ahead and change your password but just based on that, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

If they just have your email address, not really much to worry about, especially if you didn't click any links or open any files in the email.

For peace of mind, go ahead and change your password but just based on that, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Jet is right

Change your password, check your sent messages and deleted folder.

But it was your neighbours email that was hacked not yours so you should be fine

Every server you've ever accessed has your email address.

That's like saying someone has your phone number.
Lots of people you don't know have your phone number.
If email had existed back in the 1940s/50s/60s etc there would have been "phone books" full of email addresses just like phone numbers.

The same sort of scam hit a friend of my wifes

She received an email from her boss asking her to buy Google Play gift cards. She bought them but never sent the code to the emailer. Called her boss and found out he never sent the email. So now she has google play gift cards that she never uses

Check your email address here: Attention Required! | Cloudflare

Back
Top Bottom