• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Last month, we did not meet our donation goals. I'm not complaining, but my family needed to pitch in 137.50 to reach the target and pay the bills. In case you didn't know, I am currently unemployed and once again a full time college student - so my family is very tight on funds.

We are in danger of not being able to pay our bills this coming month. We are not and never have been trying to make any money here. The goal is and always has been - only to sustain.

If the donation bar goes full green (or disappears) please considering waiting until next month. I am working on a system that will be more transparent again for our bills and banked funds. Until then, the donation bar shows live funds and is always up to date.

If you enjoy our forum, I encourage you to help if you can. If you cannot help monetarily, no worries - we still love you. If you can, it is very much appreciated. Some members realize our situation and have some great ideas. For instance, some folks are selling their avatar space and/or signature space. If someone wants to auction off either of mine - feel free. If you want to gift a donation level for someone contact CC, Hugh or myself to help.

Thanks for your ear and thank you for being a part of the most amazing non-biased/non-partisan political forum in the known universe. :)

Last edited:
Last month, we did not meet our donation goals. I'm not complaining, but my family needed to pitch in 137.50 to reach the target and pay the bills. In case you didn't know, I am currently unemployed and once again a full time college student - so my family is very tight on funds.

Had no idea you were unemployed still. Sorry to hear that.

I'm unemployed and in college as well. :C
I wish I could donate sometime soon. Most likely over christmas or during a summer I will be able to.

This site will not receive one red cent from me until the changes I want to see actually happen.

You asked. I am giving you my answer.

Maybe it's time to pare down the membership and see what we have. We've got people who never participate and never give a dime.

This site will not receive one red cent from me until the changes I want to see actually happen.

So you reap the benefits of the DP government without contributing when you have the means?

Did this site receive one red cent from you BEFORE you decided you had this list of demands? If so, your comments might be slightly more meaningful. But, only slightly.

Last edited:
Did this site receive one red cent from you BEFORE you decided you had this list of demands? If so, your comments might be slightly more meaningful. But, only slightly.

I've donated before.

So you reap the benefits of the DP government without contributing when you have the means?

Not all of my attempts at contribution have been financial.

Not all of my attempts at contribution have been financial.

I apologize in advance for derailing. Mods, if you'd like to delete this, you'll get no argument from me.

Having had a website of my own for a brief period of time, and being an insider on another forum, I found myself absolutely inundated by well-meaning members with "great ideas" for me to implement. Had I devoted full time to it, I couldn't have done them all. No freakin' way. (And that assumes they were all "implementation worthy.")

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Post a thread asking for suggestions and it'd turn into the longest thread in history. It costs money to keep a site like this running. And $$$ are always in short supply. Unlike good ideas for change.

I probably spend 3 hours a week on this forum (maybe more). What's that worth to me? What's it worth to you for your time here? Is it perfect? Is it everything you want it to be? What is? But those dedicated to seeing that DP stays a vibrant and viable site -- a rare one, I might add, deserve all the $$ support we can muster.

Now, some can afford it. Some can't. But to tie one's support to, "When you make the changes I want, I'll support it," is just wrong on so many fronts. Personally, I hope you reconsider.

I apologize in advance for derailing. Mods, if you'd like to delete this, you'll get no argument from me.

Having had a website of my own for a brief period of time, and being an insider on another forum, I found myself absolutely inundated by well-meaning members with "great ideas" for me to implement. Had I devoted full time to it, I couldn't have done them all. No freakin' way. (And that assumes they were all "implementation worthy.")

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Post a thread asking for suggestions and it'd turn into the longest thread in history. It costs money to keep a site like this running. And $$$ are always in short supply. Unlike good ideas for change.

I probably spend 3 hours a week on this forum (maybe more). What's that worth to me? What's it worth to you for your time here? Is it perfect? Is it everything you want it to be? What is? But those dedicated to seeing that DP stays a vibrant and viable site -- a rare one, I might add, deserve all the $$ support we can muster.

Now, some can afford it. Some can't. But to tie one's support to, "When you make the changes I want, I'll support it," is just wrong on so many fronts. Personally, I hope you reconsider.

I fail to see why you are so personally invested in my reply to the OP. If someone makes a request of you, you can either fulfill it or deny it. I did the latter.

If you think this site deserves your money, then donate.

I cannot state my reasons for not donating here as I would likely receive an infraction or worse. Suffice it to say, that there is more to making DP "vibrant and viable" than donating money. All the money in the world cannot change the problems I refer to. Money supports the technical aspect, and that is all. The changes that need to happen in order for DP to rise to greatness again are of a completely different nature than those related to finances.

My suggestion is the opposite of yours. Everyone should stop donating immediately in order for those related to the source of the problem to acknowledge what is happening and take action.

My suggestion is the opposite of yours. Everyone should stop donating immediately in order for those related to the source of the problem to acknowledge what is happening and take action.

I made a gold donation today as a result of your post. I'd encourage others to do the same. I'm here because I want to be, and because I enjoy this forum. If you aren't willing to support this forum with your finances, then why on earth would you "support" it with your presence?

I made a gold donation today as a result of your post. I'd encourage others to do the same. I'm here because I want to be, and because I enjoy this forum.

I am here because this forum still has something to offer, but the problems I refer to are not static but growing. I would like to see DP progress beyond these problems and become better than it already is, but money is not going to cause that to happen. In fact, money will just maintain the status quo and the problems won't change.

You are a staff member so it is basically your duty to support donations, so I can forgive you for your obtuseness.

Catz Part Deux said:
If you aren't willing to support this forum with your finances, then why on earth would you "support" it with your presence?

So in order to be here, I have to donate?

I am here because this forum still has something to offer, but the problems I refer to are not static but growing. I would like to see DP progress beyond these problems and become better than it already is, but money is not going to cause that to happen. In fact, money will just maintain the status quo and the problems won't change.

I would like to see you, at this point, progress beyond this forum. You are not entitled to demand that this forum become what you want it to be. If you don't like it here, feel free to leave. Seriously.

So in order to be here, I have to donate?

Strawman. If you don't feel this site is worth donating to, WHY ARE YOU HERE, aside from causing drama? If you think this forum is not what you are looking for, I can assure you that there are literally hundreds of online forums. Find one you like better, versus attempting to cause problems here.

Last edited:
I would like to see you, at this point, progress beyond this forum. You are not entitled to demand that this forum become what you want it to be. If you don't like it here, feel free to leave. Seriously.

The owner of this forum just said that my opinions are respected. That is the kind of attitude this forum needs, and not your shining example above of "our way or the high way". You are part of the very problem I refer to. You are not entitled to tell me to leave because you disagree with me. If you are offended then that's your problem.

Strawman. If you don't feel this site is worth donating to, WHY ARE YOU HERE, aside from causing drama? If you think this forum is not what you are looking for, I can assure you that there are literally hundreds of online forums. Find one you like better, versus attempting to cause problems here.

It appears that you are either not paying attention or you have simply failed to comprehend my meaning.

You think donating will make this forum better. I think NOT donating will make this forum better. We have two different approaches to meeting the same objective. Just because my approach is different than yours does not mean I do not want to be here or do not think that DP is worthwhile.

I suggest we just find a way to make do without Orion's money. You don't hold a forum ransom. That's just plain arrogance.

Cute analogy, but hardly accurate. I am one person who can only exercise one choice, analogous to one vote. If enough people agree with me and don't donate, that's not holding the forum for ransom, that is democracy in action. But please, by all means, continue your smear campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom