• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Need some help

karmacode

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi,

I need some help with a debate I have to do in government class. I’ve never taken part in any debate and I’m having a lot of difficulty researching my topic which is ‘against-democracy.’ My team didn’t choose the topic. Pro-democracy seems to be a lot easier.

Can someone help write an opening and closing argument and also help me find some points to argue? Obviously I need to know why democracy isn’t a good idea. I also need to think ahead on what the other team may argue so I can have a good response.

If anyone can help me, please respond here or e-mail me at karmacode@gmail.com.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Do some research on rule of law and rule of man, this should outline the idea of mob mentality and should help explain why we live in a republic and not a democracy. Also take a look at some of the arguments the founders encountered when they where writing the constitution, this will help give you an idea of what to expect from the opposition and how to handle their arguments. Just take a day in the library or on the web and read about the history behind the constitution and why it was set up to help prevent a true democracy.

Hope that helps get you started.

Yeah...what he said...

But here's an idea...how does this debate work? I ask because you could consider twiddling with the definition of democracy...saying it is only really democracy if the people decide on each and every issue via referendums...or by ruling in individual city states such as ancient greece.

Of course, if this debate runs differently to the ones at my debate club, then that isn't gonna help much!

One point you could make is that democracy can be twisted and manipulated...if all power is vested in a single person, or group of persons, then, assuming they do whats best for the nation, they are much more difficult to corrupt.

Similarly, you could mention media corruption...the idea that elections / referendums can be decided by the newpapers and the mass media, rather then the people.

You could also argue that without the concern of elections, and having to compaign, politicians would do whats best for the country, rather then what their party says, or what the people neccerssarily want.

As galenrox says, I reckon most of the other sides points could be countered with the idea that people, as a whole, are morons.

Thats all I can think of for now...hope it helps.

-------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...irrelavant hisitorical point...

galenrox said:
There are some that believe that FDR allowed Pearl Harbor to happen solely because we needed to go to war

There's a similar theory in the UK by some people, but with a British twist...that British Intelligence intercepted a Japanese transmission about Pearl Harbour, before it occured, and Churchill decided not to tell FDR because he wanted the US to enter the war. Just thought I'd mention...

karmacode said:
Hi,

I need some help with a debate I have to do in government class. I’ve never taken part in any debate and I’m having a lot of difficulty researching my topic which is ‘against-democracy.’ My team didn’t choose the topic. Pro-democracy seems to be a lot easier.

Can someone help write an opening and closing argument and also help me find some points to argue? Obviously I need to know why democracy isn’t a good idea. I also need to think ahead on what the other team may argue so I can have a good response.

If anyone can help me, please respond here or e-mail me at karmacode@gmail.com.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

I would argue against absolute democracy (mob rule) and for Republic (a democratic system in which the will of the majority is respected while the rights of the minority are protected).

Plain old me said:
Yeah...what he said...

But here's an idea...how does this debate work? I ask because you could consider twiddling with the definition of democracy...saying it is only really democracy if the people decide on each and every issue via referendums...or by ruling in individual city states such as ancient greece.

Of course, if this debate runs differently to the ones at my debate club, then that isn't gonna help much!

One point you could make is that democracy can be twisted and manipulated...if all power is vested in a single person, or group of persons, then, assuming they do whats best for the nation, they are much more difficult to corrupt.

Similarly, you could mention media corruption...the idea that elections / referendums can be decided by the newpapers and the mass media, rather then the people.

You could also argue that without the concern of elections, and having to compaign, politicians would do whats best for the country, rather then what their party says, or what the people neccerssarily want.

As galenrox says, I reckon most of the other sides points could be countered with the idea that people, as a whole, are morons.

Thats all I can think of for now...hope it helps.

-------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...irrelavant hisitorical point...

There's a similar theory in the UK by some people, but with a British twist...that British Intelligence intercepted a Japanese transmission about Pearl Harbour, before it occured, and Churchill decided not to tell FDR because he wanted the US to enter the war. Just thought I'd mention...

Actually I thought the British conspiracy was for WW1 and it had to do with for knowledge of the Lusitania being sunk which wasn't given to the U.S. so that they could be brought into the war.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Actually I thought the British conspiracy was for WW1 and it had to do with for knowledge of the Lusitania being sunk which wasn't given to the U.S. so that they could be brought into the war.

Thats also quite possibly a theory, this is just something I gleamed off a conspiracy program I watched once when I was off school, and for some reason its stuck with me!

Back
Top Bottom