• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need Info on TPM's (Trusted Platform Modules)

bicycleman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I got the message on both my PC's that I couldn't install Windows 11 because I didn't have my TPM configured. I do have a slot for a TPM on my motherboard, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the best TPM to install? I have seen cheap ones and expensive ones but would like to know the difference and is it worth it for me to install one? Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with Windows 10.

I got the message on both my PC's that I couldn't install Windows 11 because I didn't have my TPM configured. I do have a slot for a TPM on my motherboard, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the best TPM to install? I have seen cheap ones and expensive ones but would like to know the difference and is it worth it for me to install one? Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with Windows 10.
I don't have TPM on my desktop and I haven't bothered to check if I have a slot for it. Win10 works. But on my Windows tablet, I do have TPM and I've upgraded that device to Win11. I like it.

Having said that, there are good tech websites that explain the whole thing. Here are two that will help you:

In a nutshell, the module you'll need to buy depends upon the pin layout of your socket. They aren't all the same. It's best to look at your motherboard manufacturer website and see what they recommend. And be aware that, after you install the module, you'll have to go into your UEFI to enable it.

Windows will and is being supported until late 2225. By then, most of the 10 users will be ready for a new computer anyway.
Also, Windows 11 is really not that big-a-deal. I installed it on my Acer Nitro and all it did for a week was reconfigure my drivers...not in a good way.
Took me hours to get things straightened out. Also again, You won't hardly be able to tell the difference except for the start interface and a few other
things.

I don't have TPM on my desktop and I haven't bothered to check if I have a slot for it. Win10 works. But on my Windows tablet, I do have TPM and I've upgraded that device to Win11. I like it.

Having said that, there are good tech websites that explain the whole thing. Here are two that will help you:

In a nutshell, the module you'll need to buy depends upon the pin layout of your socket. They aren't all the same. It's best to look at your motherboard manufacturer website and see what they recommend. And be aware that, after you install the module, you'll have to go into your UEFI to enable it.
Thanks for the sites. I have done some research, even priced out the modules but have not made a move toward any yet. I build my own desktops, but my laptop will be stuck with ten for the duration.

Thanks for the info on UEFI because I didn't see much info on my BIOS setup on how to enable the TPM.

Windows will and is being supported until late 2225. By then, most of the 10 users will be ready for a new computer anyway.
Also, Windows 11 is really not that big-a-deal. I installed it on my Acer Nitro and all it did for a week was reconfigure my drivers...not in a good way.
Took me hours to get things straightened out. Also again, You won't hardly be able to tell the difference except for the start interface and a few other
things.
I was afraid of that. I'm open for new software, but I hate it when the entire system gets corrupted in the process.

Check your bios (google how to get into it for your computer model) and see if you can enable it

things.
Your driver issues are almost certainly caused by your laptop manufacturer...not Microsoft...and it's your manufacturer who you should be looking toward to fix them.

My Windows tablet is made in China...Chuwi...and it pretty much uses standard drivers. I didn't have any issues when I upgraded.

Regarding Win11...I like that new start interface. Simpler than the Win10 Start Screen. Some of the Settings pages have been changed a bit. But what I really like is the file explorer. They got rid of that ribbon control bar and went back to a more normal control bar.

Your driver issues are almost certainly caused by your laptop manufacturer...not Microsoft...and it's your manufacturer who you should be looking toward to fix them.

My Windows tablet is made in China...Chuwi...and it pretty much uses standard drivers. I didn't have any issues when I upgraded.

Regarding Win11...I like that new start interface. Simpler than the Win10 Start Screen. Some of the Settings pages have been changed a bit. But what I really like is the file explorer. They got rid of that ribbon control bar and went back to a more normal control bar.
Oh yeah, I kinda figured that out when my self-built desktop and my HP laptop took it all in stride when upgrading to 11.
Actually, every time 10 decided to update the Acer Nitro, the neighbors could probably hear me cussing. I dual boot on the Nitro and the D: partition
is for video, Photoshop and other Astronomy stuff. The D: (Win 10) has no internet, updates...and no cussing.. :)

Check your bios (google how to get into it for your computer model) and see if you can enable it
There is slot for a TPM but no TPM in the slot. In fact, I don't even see a line in the BIOS to enable it. It may only appear if the BIOS senses the TPM and then asks if I want it enabled.

There is slot for a TPM but no TPM in the slot. In fact, I don't even see a line in the BIOS to enable it. It may only appear if the BIOS senses the TPM and then asks if I want it enabled.
Ok, it was worth checking. I have seen a lot of people think their computer was not win11 ready when it was just a config issue. I was hoping to save you some money.

Just FYI, TPM is called different things depending on the motherboard manufacturer...yes it is annoying as hell.

Just FYI, TPM is called different things depending on the motherboard manufacturer...yes it is annoying as hell.
On my motherboard, it does provice a slot for the TPM, Gigabyte MB. I'm looking at my options, but as it stands now, I wouldn't want to install Windows 11 until I build a new computer. I don't want to run the risk of corrupting my files. Yeah, I have backups, but it's a pain reinstalling software again. I like to hit the ground, running.

On my motherboard, it does provice a slot for the TPM, Gigabyte MB. I'm looking at my options, but as it stands now, I wouldn't want to install Windows 11 until I build a new computer. I don't want to run the risk of corrupting my files. Yeah, I have backups, but it's a pain reinstalling software again. I like to hit the ground, running.
Provided it is an Intel chip.

• After loading into the BIOS, press ‘F2’ to switch to advanced mode
  • Click on ‘Peripherals’ and you will see ‘Intel Platform Trust Technology’ (PTT)
  • Click on PTT and switch to ‘Enabled’
  • Save and exit. Load back into BIOS again
  • Click on ‘Trusted Computing’ to see the firmware version and the vendor ‘INTC’
So in Gigabyte motherboards it is called PTT, not TPM...just so you know.

But if you have a module slot, then that most likely means you need a 20 dollar module.

Oh and if you have an AMD system, then in the bios the TPM thing is under miscellaneous in the bios.

Provided it is an Intel chip.

• After loading into the BIOS, press ‘F2’ to switch to advanced mode
  • Click on ‘Peripherals’ and you will see ‘Intel Platform Trust Technology’ (PTT)
  • Click on PTT and switch to ‘Enabled’
  • Save and exit. Load back into BIOS again
  • Click on ‘Trusted Computing’ to see the firmware version and the vendor ‘INTC’
So in Gigabyte motherboards it is called PTT, not TPM...just so you know.

But if you have a module slot, then that most likely means you need a 20 dollar module.

Oh and if you have an AMD system, then in the bios the TPM thing is under miscellaneous in the bios.
Then the question becomes how good is a $20 TPM?

Then the question becomes how good is a $20 TPM?
Perfectly fine.. 20 dollars is for GIgaBytes own module and not a 3rd party.

The real problem is getting your hands on one, as the "free market" has hoarded most these days.

Back
Top Bottom