• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need help regarding computer wireless internet connection issues...

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Need help regarding computer wireless internet connection issues...

My wife and I have been dog sitting at a friend's house. We take our laptops and connect to their wireless network (they gave us the code).

When we get home, my laptop connects back to our wireless network just fine.

My wife's laptop does not. Something about the wrong 'homegroup'. When she tried to connect manually to our home network she gets an error message that it cannot be done. I'm thinking the whole 'homegroup' thing is at work here, and that it is still looking for our friend's 'homegroup', but I don't know for sure.

We both have Windows 7.

How can we fix her laptop so it finds our home network? Thanks.

Go here:
HomeGroup from start to finish - Microsoft Windows Help

and look under more options. It might also be helpful to read through the tuitorial and gain some understanding of homegroups.

Also I know some versions of Win 7 were restricted as to their networking options (primarily the "Home" versions). Perhaps your wife's machine has this version and can only store one homegroup at a time?

Since I have a MAC and thus am mostly problem free, I'm just going to give you a guess.

I bought my friend a Windows 7 computer last year. Suddenly, she couldn't connect to her network. Finally, I deleted McAfee which conflicted with Windows and the problem was solved. You can then install and updated virus protection program (or just stop downloading from untrusted sites).

Since I have a MAC and thus am mostly problem free, I'm just going to give you a guess.

I bought my friend a Windows 7 computer last year. Suddenly, she couldn't connect to her network. Finally, I deleted McAfee which conflicted with Windows and the problem was solved. You can then install and updated virus protection program (or just stop downloading from untrusted sites).

I agree that McAfee sucks hairy goats, but that is not the issue here. Btw, you won't have any problems if you use an Etch A Sketch either. :mrgreen:

I agree that McAfee sucks hairy goats, but that is not the issue here. Btw, you won't have any problems if you use an Etch A Sketch either. :mrgreen:

I'm not a Republican candidate.

Just a guy with a great computer that easily connects to MEOW-NETWORK.

Go here:
HomeGroup from start to finish - Microsoft Windows Help

and look under more options. It might also be helpful to read through the tuitorial and gain some understanding of homegroups.

Also I know some versions of Win 7 were restricted as to their networking options (primarily the "Home" versions). Perhaps your wife's machine has this version and can only store one homegroup at a time?
Her's is the Home version and mine is Professional. Forgot to mention that.

Back
Top Bottom