• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need advice on working out & losing weight

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Okay you fitness gurus, I need some advice.

A couple of months or so ago, my doc told me that my thyroid had stabilized. So I figured that was a good time to start trying to lose the weight the ****er helped me to gain. I started changing my eating habits, keeping track of everything I ate and trying to restrict my caloric intake. I aimed for a 1200 calorie diet and not exceeding 1500.

In about a month, I'd lost 10 pounds. BAM! Yay me!

But, I plateaued there, as I expected. I hadn't started working out yet and I knew that I'd only get so far on diet alone.

I moved, and started a new job. When I started that job, I began walking 2 miles a day at a fast pace. 1 mile in to work, 1 mile back. I did that for about a week before starting a fairly intense exercise routine. P90X (Yeah, I paid for it, shut up). Did that for a week and then hopped on the scales.

I'd gained three ****ing pounds. Kept the same caloric intake, and everything. The only thing I really changed in my diet is adding a protein bar before the workout and a "recovery drink" post workout (chocolate milk). But I included those calories in my count. Though, living alone now, I eat much more fresh produce and meat, and far less packaged food. Sooo... eating healthier, working out = gaining weight? WTF?

Trying not to get discouraged, I continue on my workout routine. Two more weeks of it after a few days off for pulling a muscle, and now I've lost the three pounds I gained.

So, after a month of healthier eating habits, walking 2 miles/day, 1200 calories/day (on my "bad" days I get up to 1500), 3 weeks of pretty intense cardio/strength training ... I'm at the same point weight-wise that I was when I started.

What gives?

Is it possible I'm not eating ENOUGH? Or maybe it's just the balance of carbs - fat - protein? The software I use says that about 40% of my diet is carbs and I think 25% protein. (not positive those numbers are 100% accurate though, I'm not at home)

I mean, I HATE working out just to workout. HATE IT. Loathe it. And not seeing results is only making it VERY easy for me to say "**** it". Trust me, it doesn't take much. LOL But really... I've been working my ass off. And I don't understand.

Start running. Work your way up to at least 20 miles a week and preferably 30 or more. You will drop weight continuously until you get down to around 12 to 15% body fat.

It is pretty much that simple. Not very many overweight distance runners at all out there.

Last edited:
Start running. Work your way up to at least 20 miles a week and preferably 30 or more. You will drop weight continuously until you get down to around 12 to 15%.

It is pretty much that simple. Not very many overweight distance runners at all out there.

I can't run. It hurts my knees too bad.

I can't run. It hurts my knees too bad.

I have knee pain. What kind of knee pain do you have? Believe it or not, but my knees give me less trouble when I exceed 30 miles a week than they do when I am just running 15 miles a week. Most people that have knee pain have it because of muscle imbalances in their legs. If you strengthen your inner quads and hamstrings, most likely your knee pain will stay under control.

Think of it this way, if you could figure out a way to work yourself up to over 30 miles a week, that would be at least 4000 calories burned every week doing it.

I have knee pain. What kind of knee pain do you have?
I have knee pain when I jog. That's the kind I have. LOL

Believe it or not, but my knees give me less trouble when I exceed 30 miles a week than they do when I am just running 15 miles a week. Most people that have knee pain have it because of muscle imbalances in their legs. If you strengthen your inner quads and hamstrings, most likely your knee pain will stay under control.
I tried jogging and I went from being able to move my knees without pain to being unable to move them without pain. It took a week after I stopped before I was able bend/flex them again without discomfort.

Think of it this way, if you could figure out a way to work yourself up to over 30 miles a week, that would be at least 4000 calories burned every week doing it.
I have tried. I started at a mile a day, did that for a week or two and it just caused me way too much pain.

My knees are pretty ****ed from age, over use, and injury. But, they only really bother me when I keep them in stationary positions for too long. (Straight or bent) I just have to switch from bent to straight, straight to bent periodically or they will ache. Other than that, they're fine unless I do something (like jogging) to **** with them.

Do some body measurements as well

Ie how big your waist, bust hips, arms legs are

In combination with the scale

remember that muscle has a higher density then fat

So if the scale is going up but the measurements are going down you are losing fat.

Also crash diets are no gooda

They will depress your metabolism(sp) meaning at rest you will not burn as many calories.

For dietary supplements

Asprin, (White willow bark)
Cayenne Pepper
ginger root
and caffine should be taken to increase metabolism

I have knee pain when I jog. That's the kind I have. LOL

I tried jogging and I went from being able to move my knees without pain to being unable to move them without pain. It took a week after I stopped before I was able bend/flex them again without discomfort.

I have tried. I started at a mile a day, did that for a week or two and it just caused me way too much pain.

My knees are pretty ****ed from age, over use, and injury. But, they only really bother me when I keep them in stationary positions for too long. (Straight or bent) I just have to switch from bent to straight, straight to bent periodically or they will ache. Other than that, they're fine unless I do something (like jogging) to **** with them.

You could try biking then. To burn as many calories you are looking biking around 100 miles a week or so.

I know people that have had a lot of success with PX90 as well.

Did you get off the pill, like I advised you some time ago?
That seems to help some people.
My recommendation, as always, is inline skating, because that's my thing.
But really, you should do whatever you like to do. Something you really like.
There must be some exercise that you like.
I love ice-skating, but that involves paying money to get into the rink, and water-skiing, but that involves driving out to the lake and borrowing my dad's boat, and dragging somebody else with me to drive it so I can ski.
Inline skating is the compromise: I like it almost as well as those other things, and it fits conveniently into my lifestyle and budget.

That's the sort of thing you need to find.
What about swimming?

Also, you might try a brief fast, maybe a fruit and juice fast if you've never done it before, just to sort of cleanse your internal organs and reset your metabolism. Sometimes a fast will really help you adjust your thinking toward food: healthier food will taste better afterward, and you might find that you don't want to eat large portions, because your stomach has shrunk.
Plus the immediate weight loss (even though it will mostly just be water weight) might be a good motivator.
My husband fasts occasionally, with good results.
He also does these liver cleanse things, but I wouldn't really recommend them because I'm not sure how safe, healthy or effective they are. They involve inducing diarrhea by drinking a bunch of epsom salts. He swears he feels great afterward, but I think it's quackery, personally.

Last edited:
My experience with P90X is that it will help you tone up, but you won't lose a pound.

I have a ton of advice. First, go slow. I'm guessing you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks, you have to give it some time to come off. I'm sure you've heard the old 2-3 pounds a week is safe, I'd say even less than that. One pound a week is slow enough that you can maintain a change in habits.

Try to eat mostly vegetables and watch the grains. I'm not saying don't eat grains, but limit them to whole grains and just two or so servings a day. They don't add anything to your diet except calories and fiber and you can get fiber from fruits and vegetables. Don't cut them out entirely though! Especially if you work out, they help replenish your glycogen stores so working out is easier. Some of the training books I've read for endurance athletes suggest no starches after lunch to lose weight, but I haven't really given it a try. Also limit the fruit. I have two servings a day for the vitamins, but they do have a lot of sugar. And watch the alcohol. If you can limit it to a glass a night (which I can't), it's fine but any more than that you are completely ruining your weight loss. Two beers equals about three miles of jogging.

I had a lot of luck adding a new habit every two weeks. Too much change and I flip out after about a month and binge.

As far as exercise goes, if you have a lot of time to spend, get a bike. It's a fabulous work out and low impact. If you only have like an hour or so a day, maybe spinning if you can't do running.

Rivrrat, I don't think you're eating enough. P90X burns a lot of calories, and if you're eating 1,500 max, then you're only netting about 800 with all the walking and P90X. Your body will store fat at that large of a deficit.

45% carbs is good IMO. I'm usually at 50-60% carbs :3oops:, and I'm maintaining. I just need carbs or I crash. I'd be thrilled with 45%.

Also, make sure you weigh yourself before the weekend, not after. If you allow cheats on the weekend, then you may be retaining water for a few days.

I agree with the poster who said focus on measurements more than weight. I didn't mean to, but I dropped 2 pounds this month. Not a biggy, but when I went to put on my jeans the other day, I realized I may have dropped a size :shock: from the weight lifting. There's no way 2 pounds would have reflected that.

Keep up the great work. You will get there! :thumbs:

Okay, so I checked my software thing here at home.

It says that since March 1st:

Avg Daily Caloric intake: 1218 (There may be one or two days that I've neglected to count, but I'm very good about accounting for everything)

21% Fat (6% sat, 5% poly, 8% mono)
45% Carb
16% Protein
2% Alcohol

Avg Daily Calories burned: 2275 (that's after subtracting about 300 calories from their avg daily background calorie burn, due to my thyroid being dead)

Do some body measurements as well

Ie how big your waist, bust hips, arms legs are

In combination with the scale

remember that muscle has a higher density then fat

So if the scale is going up but the measurements are going down you are losing fat.
Yup, I did measurements prior to starting the program, but wasn't going to do them again until I'd done the P90X for 30 days. One more week. ;)

Also crash diets are no gooda

They will depress your metabolism(sp) meaning at rest you will not burn as many calories.
I absolutely agree! I don't really consider what I'm doing "dieting" so much as changing my eating habits.

For dietary supplements

Asprin, (White willow bark)
Cayenne Pepper
ginger root
and caffine should be taken to increase metabolism
Nice suggestions, thank you!

You could try biking then. To burn as many calories you are looking biking around 100 miles a week or so.

I know people that have had a lot of success with PX90 as well.
Yeah... I'm considering it. I just hate "city" biking. Considering getting a stationary one though. But, there is a road by my place here that doesn't have much traffic. I may drive all the way down it and see how many miles it is. I gather it's only a couple though.

Did you get off the pill, like I advised you some time ago?
That seems to help some people.
Yes, I got Mirena IUD put in. I stopped smoking and quit the pill due to high blood pressure. **** that blood pressure medicine ****. hehe

My recommendation, as always, is inline skating, because that's my thing.
But really, you should do whatever you like to do. Something you really like.
There must be some exercise that you like.
I love ice-skating, but that involves paying money to get into the rink, and water-skiing, but that involves driving out to the lake and borrowing my dad's boat, and dragging somebody else with me to drive it so I can ski.
Inline skating is the compromise: I like it almost as well as those other things, and it fits conveniently into my lifestyle and budget.

That's the sort of thing you need to find.
What about swimming?
I like doing activities that are fun and just happen to be a good workout too, ya know? It's hard to do that around here, or in any city really. When I worked on the river and guided climbing, etc... my work WAS my workout. I want *that* again, but alas. LOL I hear people say that they "feel good" after a workout. I do NOT. I don't get any "endorphin rush" after a normal workout. I get one after jumping my snowboard off a cliff or paddling down a class v river. But after a normal workout? I just feel tired, drained, ****ing glad it's over with.

I can walk down the hill to the lake below my place here. There's no swimming allowed, but I am considering getting a paddleboard for playing and working out. It's not like it's massive cardio or anything, but it would be a full body workout and fun at the same time. However, such boards run about $800.

I love swimming too, but that requires driving across town to the pool, and being forced to be there on the hour that they allow lap swims. Not easy with my work schedule. I wish the lake allowed swimming. I can get away with it on occasion, but I don't think I could on a regular basis. Eventually the Warden will catch me. LOL

My experience with P90X is that it will help you tone up, but you won't lose a pound.
I don't want to hear that! LOL I've heard only good things from other buds dagnabbit

I plan on adding RevAbs to my routine too (back to back with P90X), but I need to wait until I get a good mat for my hard ass stone floor.

I have a ton of advice. First, go slow. I'm guessing you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks, you have to give it some time to come off. I'm sure you've heard the old 2-3 pounds a week is safe, I'd say even less than that. One pound a week is slow enough that you can maintain a change in habits.
Yeah, I know. :( I didn't expect to lose a ****load or anything, even a pound and I would have been happy. It was just the GAIN that pissed me off and confused me.

Try to eat mostly vegetables and watch the grains. I'm not saying don't eat grains, but limit them to whole grains and just two or so servings a day. They don't add anything to your diet except calories and fiber and you can get fiber from fruits and vegetables. Don't cut them out entirely though! Especially if you work out, they help replenish your glycogen stores so working out is easier. Some of the training books I've read for endurance athletes suggest no starches after lunch to lose weight, but I haven't really given it a try. Also limit the fruit. I have two servings a day for the vitamins, but they do have a lot of sugar. And watch the alcohol. If you can limit it to a glass a night (which I can't), it's fine but any more than that you are completely ruining your weight loss. Two beers equals about three miles of jogging.

I actually don't eat too much grains. Except for breakfast really. I eat either oatmeal, Special K cereal, or Grapenuts for breakfast. With a yogurt, and sometimes fruit. Occasionally a boiled egg.

Hmm... actually, come to think of it, I guess I eat a bit of rice. Hardly any pasta though, or bread. I've had the same loaf of bread on my counter for 3 weeks now, if that tells you anything. LOL

I have an apple a day as far as fruit goes. Sometimes an orange too, but usually only have oranges a couple of days a week.

I had a lot of luck adding a new habit every two weeks. Too much change and I flip out after about a month and binge.

As far as exercise goes, if you have a lot of time to spend, get a bike. It's a fabulous work out and low impact. If you only have like an hour or so a day, maybe spinning if you can't do running.
It's not so much time with a bike outside as it is places to ride. I'm not too keen on city riding. LOL Gonna check out this road below me though and see how far it goes.

Rivrrat, I don't think you're eating enough. P90X burns a lot of calories, and if you're eating 1,500 max, then you're only netting about 800 with all the walking and P90X. Your body will store fat at that large of a deficit.

45% carbs is good IMO. I'm usually at 50-60% carbs :3oops:, and I'm maintaining. I just need carbs or I crash. I'd be thrilled with 45%.
That's really what I'm wondering... am I working out TOO much while not eating *enough*. Or maybe I need more protein and fewer carbs.

I mean, I think I'm working out enough. I know I'm eating healthier. It just doesn't make sense that I'm not losing.

But, this has been a problem before... when I was in Cali, I ate VERY healthy. As healthy as I am now, or even better. I worked out on my bowflex for 45 minutes (at least), 3x/week. I went surfing 3x or more a week for about an hour on my way home from work. (body boarding, but still). I walked the dog for 30 minutes at a fast pace, daily. I did 30-45 minutes of a cardio dance or kickboxing *daily*.

I didn't lose but a pound or two in the months that I maintained that.

So I quit. Said **** this ****. WTF am I working my ass of for, suffering daily, for *nothing*?

But then I found out about my thyroid and I've been working on getting it "right" for the past year. Figured this was a good time to try again. I was excited and thought that this time it would work since my thyroid wouldn't [shouldn't] be working against me so much.

Also, make sure you weigh yourself before the weekend, not after. If you allow cheats on the weekend, then you may be retaining water for a few days.

Yeah, I really only weigh myself every now and again. Not often really. Cause I hate it. LOL

I agree with the poster who said focus on measurements more than weight. I didn't mean to, but I dropped 2 pounds this month. Not a biggy, but when I went to put on my jeans the other day, I realized I may have dropped a size :shock: from the weight lifting. There's no way 2 pounds would have reflected that.
I agree, but my scales also give me an estimated BF% based on my legs (sends a volt up your legs and gets a reading of fat/muscle from it) And yeah, in about a week I'll do my measurements again and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But right now? I don't want to do them. I'm afraid of what I will find and afraid I'll end up throwing all this exercise **** down the hill and into the lake. LOL

Keep up the great work. You will get there!
Thanks. I'm still trying! For now. ;)

I know like half of these aren't to me, but I am extremely bored so you get my opinion on everything!

Avg Daily Caloric intake: 1218 (There may be one or two days that I've neglected to count, but I'm very good about accounting for everything)

45% Carb
16% Protein
2% Alcohol

Avg Daily Calories burned: 2275 (that's after subtracting about 300 calories from their avg daily background calorie burn, due to my thyroid being dead)

:shock: That is way too little food. Up all of it, but increase your percentage of protein at the expense of carbs (alcohol is essentially a carb)

I like doing activities that are fun and just happen to be a good workout too, ya know? It's hard to do that around here, or in any city really. When I worked on the river and guided climbing, etc... my work WAS my workout. I want *that* again, but alas. LOL I hear people say that they "feel good" after a workout. I do NOT. I don't get any "endorphin rush" after a normal workout. I get one after jumping my snowboard off a cliff or paddling down a class v river. But after a normal workout? I just feel tired, drained, ****ing glad it's over with.

I can walk down the hill to the lake below my place here. There's no swimming allowed, but I am considering getting a paddleboard for playing and working out. It's not like it's massive cardio or anything, but it would be a full body workout and fun at the same time. However, such boards run about $800.

I love swimming too, but that requires driving across town to the pool, and being forced to be there on the hour that they allow lap swims. Not easy with my work schedule. I wish the lake allowed swimming. I can get away with it on occasion, but I don't think I could on a regular basis. Eventually the Warden will catch me. LOL

Yeah, that sucks. I know how important convenience is to working out. Other than running or moving, you're SOL. And the type of workout you need to feel good is so personal. Is there nothing else in your area?

I don't want to hear that! LOL I've heard only good things from other buds dagnabbit

I plan on adding RevAbs to my routine too (back to back with P90X), but I need to wait until I get a good mat for my hard ass stone floor.

Eh, it wasn't even my experience. A co-worker did it religiously (that I do know), but I can't vouch for what her diet was other than that she said it was good. And she was one of "those" girls. The size 6 that wants to lose 15 pounds. But she did get some absolutely gorgeous arms out of it.

Is it mostly just weights? Cause unless your heart is pumping, it's not burning a lot of calories.

Yeah, I know. :( I didn't expect to lose a ****load or anything, even a pound and I would have been happy. It was just the GAIN that pissed me off and confused me.

Muscle, water weight, hormones, who knows? That's why I try not to weigh myself too often.

I actually don't eat too much grains. Except for breakfast really. I eat either oatmeal, Special K cereal, or Grapenuts for breakfast. With a yogurt, and sometimes fruit. Occasionally a boiled egg.

Hmm... actually, come to think of it, I guess I eat a bit of rice. Hardly any pasta though, or bread. I've had the same loaf of bread on my counter for 3 weeks now, if that tells you anything. LOL

I have an apple a day as far as fruit goes. Sometimes an orange too, but usually only have oranges a couple of days a week.

Sounds good, though I don't know what a bit of rice is. Half a cup is a serving and that's not a lot. Grains are really the best thing to cut for weight loss since they don't do much nutrition wise.

It's not so much time with a bike outside as it is places to ride. I'm not too keen on city riding. LOL Gonna check out this road below me though and see how far it goes.

Ew blech. I hate sharing the road with cars, plus it's dangerous. If you have to just push your way through it, set up a tv in front of a stationary bike. We gotta do what we gotta do, even if it's not fun.

That's really what I'm wondering... am I working out TOO much while not eating *enough*. Or maybe I need more protein and fewer carbs.

I mean, I think I'm working out enough. I know I'm eating healthier. It just doesn't make sense that I'm not losing.

Um yes. Yes you are. As long as your body can handle the working out, leave it. But you need to eat way more. Shoot for a 500 calorie a day defency, not 1000.

But, this has been a problem before... when I was in Cali, I ate VERY healthy. As healthy as I am now, or even better. I worked out on my bowflex for 45 minutes (at least), 3x/week. I went surfing 3x or more a week for about an hour on my way home from work. (body boarding, but still). I walked the dog for 30 minutes at a fast pace, daily. I did 30-45 minutes of a cardio dance or kickboxing *daily*.

I didn't lose but a pound or two in the months that I maintained that.

So I quit. Said **** this ****. WTF am I working my ass of for, suffering daily, for *nothing*?

But then I found out about my thyroid and I've been working on getting it "right" for the past year. Figured this was a good time to try again. I was excited and thought that this time it would work since my thyroid wouldn't [shouldn't] be working against me so much.

Yeah, I really only weigh myself every now and again. Not often really. Cause I hate it. LOL

I agree, but my scales also give me an estimated BF% based on my legs (sends a volt up your legs and gets a reading of fat/muscle from it) And yeah, in about a week I'll do my measurements again and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But right now? I don't want to do them. I'm afraid of what I will find and afraid I'll end up throwing all this exercise **** down the hill and into the lake. LOL

Thanks. I'm still trying! For now. ;)

Those body fat scales are also pretty unreliable. And I also hate to go all Jillian Michaels on your ass, but it still sounds like your changing your lifestyle to lose weight. You have to be able to maintain it for at least six months without it breaking you, possibly forever. Change your lifestyle to be healthy, weight is only one measure of that.

Seriously the veggies though. Can't say enough. Get nine servings of those bad boys in a day and you'll feel to full for garbage.

I know like half of these aren't to me, but I am extremely bored so you get my opinion on everything!
LOL okay :)

:shock: That is way too little food. Up all of it, but increase your percentage of protein at the expense of carbs (alcohol is essentially a carb)
That's kind of what I was thinking. Probably going to add more eggs to my diet. But honestly, I'm not hungry. I have a hard time actually eating what I DO eat.

Yeah, that sucks. I know how important convenience is to working out. Other than running or moving, you're SOL. And the type of workout you need to feel good is so personal. Is there nothing else in your area?
Not that I can do daily. :(

Is it mostly just weights? Cause unless your heart is pumping, it's not burning a lot of calories.
Weights and cardio, with some yoga too.

Sounds good, though I don't know what a bit of rice is. Half a cup is a serving and that's not a lot. Grains are really the best thing to cut for weight loss since they don't do much nutrition wise.
Well, only meant that I'm probably getting most of my grains from rice and it's possible I could be having too much. I have rice with my dinner about 3 times a week, probably. And occasionally for lunch if I have left overs from dinner.

Um yes. Yes you are. As long as your body can handle the working out, leave it. But you need to eat way more. Shoot for a 500 calorie a day defency, not 1000.
Just seems... wrong. LOL But what I'm doing isn't working, hence me being here asking for advice.

Those body fat scales are also pretty unreliable. And I also hate to go all Jillian Michaels on your ass, but it still sounds like your changing your lifestyle to lose weight. You have to be able to maintain it for at least six months without it breaking you, possibly forever. Change your lifestyle to be healthy, weight is only one measure of that.
Yeah, weight is a part of it. But it's the part I can *measure*. I can't measure any of the other healthy stuff. If I'm going to be working out, I need some means of positive reinforcement or I will not continue doing it.

Seriously the veggies though. Can't say enough. Get nine servings of those bad boys in a day and you'll feel to full for garbage.
hehe I'll increase the veggies and protein, for sure.

LOL okay :)

That's kind of what I was thinking. Probably going to add more eggs to my diet. But honestly, I'm not hungry. I have a hard time actually eating what I DO eat.

Well, only meant that I'm probably getting most of my grains from rice and it's possible I could be having too much. I have rice with my dinner about 3 times a week, probably. And occasionally for lunch if I have left overs from dinner.

hehe I'll increase the veggies and protein, for sure.

I mean, three times a week is cool, as long as it's not two cups. You don't want to not eat grains, just limit them.

And veggies again. I swear by em. They're not fun, it's not as sexy as promising you that you'll lose weight by eating bacon. But you'll feel super healthy after a couple weeks. Have a HUGE salad for either lunch or dinner. Every day.

And EAT! You should be hungry eating 1200 calories. What that means is your body is trying to conserve what little you give it.

Not that I can do daily. :(

A gym? Or a PS2? I'm about to reveal a huge dorky side of myself, but DDR is the shizzle for a fun way to work out.

Weights and cardio, with some yoga too.

Do you happen to have a heart rate monitor? I'm curious how cardio it is.

Just seems... wrong. LOL But what I'm doing isn't working, hence me being here asking for advice.

Yeah, weight is a part of it. But it's the part I can *measure*. I can't measure any of the other healthy stuff. If I'm going to be working out, I need some means of positive reinforcement or I will not continue doing it.

I understand because I used to be the same way. And it's really hard to recondition yourself for a different goal. But the realities of weight loss is you're not always going to be losing weight. You are going to plateau. And when that happens, if weight loss is your goal, you are going to get hella discouraged and say "f it" like you did before. It's not something that can change overnight. Just try to change your way of thinking when you notice it. Whenever you daydream of being your goal weight, just try to switch it to a goal of being healthy instead. At least, worked for me.

45% Carb
16% Protein
2% Alcohol

1) Your breakdown is off, it only adds to 85%. But carbs are most likely too high, i would decrease them and increase protein and fat.

2) 1000 is a pretty large deficit. Take your morning body temp before you get out of bed for the next 4-5 days and record the number. Get your thyroid rechecked too if you have the chance. Odds are your metabolism is shot, especially if your thyroid just restabilized.

I mean, three times a week is cool, as long as it's not two cups. You don't want to not eat grains, just limit them.
Yeah... I was just wondering if maybe I'm eating more than I realize. I'll have to go through my food log.

And veggies again. I swear by em. They're not fun, it's not as sexy as promising you that you'll lose weight by eating bacon. But you'll feel super healthy after a couple weeks. Have a HUGE salad for either lunch or dinner. Every day.
I love veggies. I eat salads often, in fact. I cut them out this week because I was eating so many that I was starting to tire of them. Needed a change of pace.

And EAT! You should be hungry eating 1200 calories. What that means is your body is trying to conserve what little you give it.
I'm honestly not hungry. I would never try to starve myself, I know better than that. I thought 1200 - 1500 calories would be okay.

A gym? Or a PS2? I'm about to reveal a huge dorky side of myself, but DDR is the shizzle for a fun way to work out.
Dance revolution? I don't have a console at the moment, though

Do you happen to have a heart rate monitor? I'm curious how cardio it is.
Not every day is cardio. Only, hmm... twice a week is cardio. I don't have a heart monitor, but I check my rate throughout and it's 150 - 170 throughout. Usually 160 - 170. The other days are strength, which still get my heart rate up, and make me sweat like a mofo, but my heart rate isn't as high as on the cardio days.

I understand because I used to be the same way. And it's really hard to recondition yourself for a different goal. But the realities of weight loss is you're not always going to be losing weight. You are going to plateau. And when that happens, if weight loss is your goal, you are going to get hella discouraged and say "f it" like you did before. It's not something that can change overnight. Just try to change your way of thinking when you notice it. Whenever you daydream of being your goal weight, just try to switch it to a goal of being healthy instead. At least, worked for me.
Yeah, I want to be healthy too. Losing weight is part of that. I realize, or at least hope, that I won't always need to lose weight. I'm just hoping that once I lose what I want to, I won't need to workout quite as much and can rely on good eating habits with less workout to maintain the status quo.

1) Your breakdown is off, it only adds to 85%. But carbs are most likely too high, i would decrease them and increase protein and fat.
It's not mine, really... I'm pulling that from the software I use. I don't know what the other percentages are.

2) 1000 is a pretty large deficit. Take your morning body temp before you get out of bed for the next 4-5 days and record the number. Get your thyroid rechecked too if you have the chance. Odds are your metabolism is shot, especially if your thyroid just restabilized.
I don't own a thermometer, but I could get one. My thyroid will be checked every three months for likely the rest of my life (or until it's REALLY dead) since the disease I have is destroying the gland. I will forever be hypothyroid and require medication, and my thyroid function will only continue to decrease and eventually it will cease functioning altogether.

The sad thing is that I was hyperthyroid for many years due to the same disease. Damn I miss those days. LOL

It's not mine, really... I'm pulling that from the software I use. I don't know what the other percentages are.

Does it give you total numbers for carbs, fats and protein? The software may just be screwing up the percents.

I don't own a thermometer, but I could get one. My thyroid will be checked every three months for likely the rest of my life (or until it's REALLY dead) since the disease I have is destroying the gland. I will forever be hypothyroid and require medication, and my thyroid function will only continue to decrease and eventually it will cease functioning altogether.

The sad thing is that I was hyperthyroid for many years due to the same disease. Damn I miss those days. LOL

Sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. I've never worked with someone with this issue so figuring it out may be tricky, but get the body temp reading so we can find out whether or not your metabolism is shot and we can go from there.

Does it give you total numbers for carbs, fats and protein? The software may just be screwing up the percents.

Attached is a screenshot of it.

Sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. I've never worked with someone with this issue so figuring it out may be tricky, but get the body temp reading so we can find out whether or not your metabolism is shot and we can go from there.
My thyroid has been the bane of my existence since I was 16. I'm used to it ****ing with my life now. LOL

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
Exercising takes away my appetite, so I get what you're saying. I keep plenty of nuts on hand to fill up on protein and fats. When I was posting last night, I was munching on almonds even though I wasn't hungry. It had occurred to me that I barely ate yesterday, so I was trying to increase my intake.

Your protein amounts are definitely too low. Try to work some peanut butter, cottage cheese, nuts or anything like that into your menu. I add fresh parmesan cheese to just about everything.

I've heard really good things about P90X. But if you don't like to work out, I would think that series would be torture. Wait, doesn't P90X require you eat like 2,200 calories a day?

Have you ever tried Pilates? It's not the workout that P90X is, but it's the kind of thing that people who don't like exercise enjoy.

Cardio. I hate it. But it sounds like that's your forte. You've got to find a nature club or something like that in your new town so you can hit the trails. If you love it, the rest just follows.

I think once you increase your intake, you'll see results again. Good luck!

One other thing you could try would be to significantly increase your fiber intake. Fiber inhibits fat absorption.

caloric intake that low isn't sustainable. Its great for dropping 15-20lbs to geet into a bridesmaid dress that somehow shrunk over the past 9 months. But its not something that is sustainable as a life changing diet.

if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to adopt a lifestyle that you can almost unconciously adhere to. Otherwise you burn out over time and go right back to where you started, if not worse.

:shock:

:inandout:

I'm married. I am forced to sit through wedding design shows and Bridezillas against my will. I am just commenting on the fact almost all women mysteriously aren't the same size at wedding time as they were when they originally looking at dresses.

:2razz:

caloric intake that low isn't sustainable. Its great for dropping 15-20lbs to geet into a bridesmaid dress that somehow shrunk over the past 9 months. But its not something that is sustainable as a life changing diet.

if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to adopt a lifestyle that you can almost unconciously adhere to. Otherwise you burn out over time and go right back to where you started, if not worse.

Caloric intake that low is sustainable, and healthy, depending upon one's size, sex, and activity level.

I'm married. I am forced to sit through wedding design shows and Bridezillas against my will. I am just commenting on the fact almost all women mysteriously aren't the same size at wedding time as they were when they originally looking at dresses.

:2razz:

Likely story, Crip. :tongue4: I may have just found a new sig line. :giggle:

Caloric intake that low is sustainable, and healthy, depending upon one's size, sex, and activity level.

Sustainable yes, healthy no. Your body needs 1,200 calories a day just to function. When you are in a deficit, the body will feed off of itself, fat and muscle. But it will store as much fat as possible because it thinks you're starving. It may feel OK and look sort of good now, but when 40 or 50 comes knocking, there will be a price to pay in terms of overalll health.

Back
Top Bottom