• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need a little advice -

@Superfly - If you go into contract with an informed buyer, once the title transfers, the burden of removing your family members transfers from you to the new owner.

I buy houses for cash at Clerk Auctions on the regular. I bought two within the past 30 days, one (unoccupied and untenable 3BR/2B) via a Clerk’s Tax Deed; the other an Estate situation via a Clerk’s Certificate of Title, not a homestead, lien foreclosure 2BR/2B pool home, occupied and in better condition.

Last Monday, I contacted the occupant, Betty, age 76. I listened to her attentively. She accepted my offer to accept $500 financial incentive and help moving. She agreed to move out by January 20th.

If she reneges, then immediately, at about the same cost, I plan on filing an Unlawful Detainer Complaint in County Court. This quickly leads in successive order to a Court date and a 24 Hour Writ of Possession. A Sheriff posts the notice.

Blessings to you staying strong and composed through your heart wrenching situation! I understand the slippery slope inherent with self-preservation and detachment (with love).

Thanks to Good Karma, my current situation affords me many charitable opportunities. I give often; I give on my terms. For the sake of your physical and mental health, I strongly suggest you primarily focus on your needs first!

Don’t get weeks and months ahead of yourself. I call this “Future Tripping”. Stay in the day. Stay true to you. Keep trying to do the next right thing. Years of following this formula, ever so slowly, resulted in unprecedented rewards for me!

@Superfly - If you go into contract with an informed buyer, once the title transfers, the burden of removing your family members transfers from you to the new owner.

I buy houses for cash at Clerk Auctions on the regular. I bought two within the past 30 days, one (unoccupied and untenable 3BR/2B) via a Clerk’s Tax Deed; the other an Estate situation via a Clerk’s Certificate of Title, not a homestead, lien foreclosure 2BR/2B pool home, occupied and in better condition.

Last Monday, I contacted the occupant, Betty, age 76. I listened to her attentively. She accepted my offer to accept $500 financial incentive and help moving. She agreed to move out by January 20th.

If she reneges, then immediately, at about the same cost, I plan on filing an Unlawful Detainer Complaint in County Court. This quickly leads in successive order to a Court date and a 24 Hour Writ of Possession. A Sheriff posts the notice.

Blessings to you staying strong and composed through your heart wrenching situation! I understand the slippery slope inherent with self-preservation and detachment (with love).

Thanks to Good Karma, my current situation affords me many charitable opportunities. I give often; I give on my terms. For the sake of your physical and mental health, I strongly suggest you primarily focus on your needs first!

Don’t get weeks and months ahead of yourself. I call this “Future Tripping”. Stay in the day. Stay true to you. Keep trying to do the next right thing. Years of following this formula, ever so slowly, resulted in unprecedented rewards for me!

Thanks, luv. I appreciate it. I try to stay positive for the most part. That's what frustrated me so much yesterday. I continually tried to help, tried to give them options. They came back with nothing but anger, hatred, vitriol, and negativity. I ended up blocking two of them, and the third just walked away from the conversation entirely. I can't (won't) allow that kind of negativity to affect me anymore. Refuse. I've seen the results of a positive attitude in my life, and I'm staying in that frame of mind.

*sigh* They are now refusing to even allow buyers to come in and view the house. I'm going to have to evict my own children, and grandchildren.

What the actual **** ----

*sigh* They are now refusing to even allow buyers to come in and view the house. I'm going to have to evict my own children, and grandchildren.

I am so sorry. Please stay strong and know that while ripping off the bandaid is very painful it's also necessary for future healing.

Just a quick heads up, make sure you are doing things legally...did you consult a lawyer?...but also know that the more 'heads up' you give them if imminent action the more likely they are to do malicious damage, so I hope you can avoid that. It was an issue on foreclosures that I remember.

would seem to be an excellent time to thoroughly 'bomb' the house with insect repellant to get the place ready to be shown
change the locks first
maybe even have the utilities turned off for a while so the handyman can work without concern for electric or water problems

make sure your insurance is current as they might do you a favor and torch the place ... that would not be on you

I am so sorry. Please stay strong and know that while ripping off the bandaid is very painful it's also necessary for future healing.

Just a quick heads up, make sure you are doing things legally...did you consult a lawyer?...but also know that the more 'heads up' you give them if imminent action the more likely they are to do malicious damage, so I hope you can avoid that. It was an issue on foreclosures that I remember.

I can't afford a lawyer right now. Just don't have the money. Their not paying the rent has put me in a bind.

The thing is, though, and I appreciate what you said, and you're right - if I don't give them ample time, the judge will hold that against me.

would seem to be an excellent time to thoroughly 'bomb' the house with insect repellant to get the place ready to be shown
change the locks first
maybe even have the utilities turned off for a while so the handyman can work without concern for electric or water problems

make sure your insurance is current as they might do you a favor and torch the place ... that would not be on you

Yeah I always keep my insurance current. That's what has put me in a bind, because the rent that they would pay would be used to pay the homeowners. That's all I ever asked them for was the money to cover the insurance.

long as they paid my homeowner's
I'm sorry, as a foreigner I don't understand something.
If the house is yours... which landlord? Or are you so in relation to an economic utility company (water supply, central heating, sewerage, electricity)? I didn't understand this moment, what is the rent for?

But in general... I'm afraid advice is inappropriate here, you need to somehow solve this issue yourself and still try to convey your position to your daughter in a non-confrontational way. In such family matters, it is worth turning to the simplest method, you know perfectly well what kind of situation she is in, put yourself in her place and think about how you have similar problems... after thinking it over, go to your daughter for a discussion with the conclusions.

I'm sorry, as a foreigner I don't understand something.
If the house is yours... which landlord? Or are you so in relation to an economic utility company (water supply, central heating, sewerage, electricity)? I didn't understand this moment, what is the rent for?

But in general... I'm afraid advice is inappropriate here, you need to somehow solve this issue yourself and still try to convey your position to your daughter in a non-confrontational way. In such family matters, it is worth turning to the simplest method, you know perfectly well what kind of situation she is in, put yourself in her place and think about how you have similar problems... after thinking it over, go to your daughter for a discussion with the conclusions.

I own the home outright. The utilities are in my name, so I'm sure when they finally vacate, I'll have huge bills leftover in my name.

I was going to sell the house a year ago, but my daughter needed a place to go, as she lost her lease. I let her live in my house temporarily, while she remodeled her house. The remodeling stopped when I allowed her to live in my house. She hasn't done much of anything since. I told her when she moved in that all I would ask for rent is for her to cover the cost of my homeowner's insurance, and she agreed. She has since stopped paying rent.

I've tried to handle this nonconfrontationally, but they are having no part of it. I have tried to work with them in any way I can, including telling them that I will pay for the first month's rent on a new rental for them if their house isn't finished in 60 days, or I will give them $500 each (x3) just to leave peacefully, and not steal or damage anything, and allow for showings.

They're not answering me.

Wow, that's it. If I were you the gloves ought to come off.

Forget about even giving them some byebye money, just get them evicted ASAP. They are a bunch of lazy ingrates and dont deserve your love or respect.

Wow, that's it. If I were you the gloves ought to come off.

Forget about even giving them some byebye money, just get them evicted ASAP. They are a bunch of lazy ingrates and dont deserve your love or respect.

Thanks, bud. I know. I've been hurt. Cried ever since Monday morning. Now, though, I'm getting pissed.

Reactions: PoS
Thanks, bud. I know. I've been hurt. Cried ever since Monday morning. Now, though, I'm getting pissed.
Go get 'em, Supes. Show no mercy this time.

cobra.jpg

@Superfly I'm sorry for your difficulties, but what would happen if you just gave the house to your children? Have all 3 names on the deed and then you wash your hands of the whole situation? Congratulations, here is your inheritance.

You gave your children an asset to do with as they see fit, you get out of a bad situation and gain all that piece of mind.

Just thinking out of the box, the $75k may not be worth it and you get out from under any bills associated with the property.

In Florida, eviction begins with:

1. owner conspicuously posts, hand delivers or mails by USPS a 3-Day Eviction Notice. You can make your own or probably find one to download for free. State tenants did not pay rent when due. State the exact amount. State the due date. Include your name, address and phone number.

Sample: THREE DAY NOTICE TO TENANT(S)
(Demand for payment or possession)

DATE ___________ COUNTY ____________________

TO: _______________________ _______________________ _____________________

_______________________ ______________________ ________________________ .

You are hereby notified you are indebted to me $___________ for rent and use of the Premises, known by street address ________________________________ , in County and State.

I demand payment of the Rent or Possession of the Premises within 3 days (excluding Saturday, Sunday and legal Holidays) from the date of delivery of this notice, specifically on/before _________________ .

I certify, I (state how you served Notice: conspicuously posted, hand delivered or mailed) a copy of this Notice on the tenants named above, at the premises noted above, on _______________________ .

Landlord‘s Signature __________________________________ .
Printed Name:
Landlord’s Street Address _________________________________________ .
Landlord’s City, State and Zip:
Landlord’s cell phone number ________________________________ .

2. After the three days lapse, owner files an Unlawful Detainer Complaint in County Court. The Clerk can assist you in obtaining the appropriate form. This step requires a filing fee (usually several hundred dollars) and a Service of Process fee (usually under $100). Obtaining a Court Date can easily take 30 to 60 days.

3. Go to Court. Plea your case.

4. If the Judicial Officer agrees with you, you probably obtain a 24-Hour Writ of Possession that the Sheriff posts on the Premises. You usually pay for this service (about $100). Sheriff ensures tenant(s) vacate. What tenant(s) leave behind, Landlord simultaneously removes to the street curb.

If you successfully evict, you probably stand a better chance to net more on the sale of your house. As a Realtor, I preach Sellers to:

1. demand Prospective Buyer(s) provide evidence of Proof of Funds (POF) with any and all written offers. Vet the source of funds!
2. Evaluate whether the Buyer has made their Best Offer. Can you obtain a higher sale price from someone else? Why or why not? How does the offer play out in terms of Net to Seller.
3. Obtain from a competent professional involved in the transaction a written Net to Seller Estimate.
4. Focus in on exactly how much and when you can expect your Net to Seller proceeds! You want your money!

@Superfly I'm sorry for your difficulties, but what would happen if you just gave the house to your children? Have all 3 names on the deed and then you wash your hands of the whole situation? Congratulations, here is your inheritance.

You gave your children an asset to do with as they see fit, you get out of a bad situation and gain all that piece of mind.

Just thinking out of the box, the $75k may not be worth it and you get out from under any bills associated with the property.

I need the money to buy a house for myself. If I didn't need the money, I would, but I'm 55 years old. I'm too old to start with a brand new mortgage. I'd have to work the rest of my life, when I already have a house that is paid in full. I'm in the fall of my life. They are in the spring. They have their whole lives to work and save and buy a house. I'm at the time in my life where I should be able to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labors.

Hell, asking her to give up an estimated 75K, maybe you can throw her a grand?

In Florida, eviction begins with:

1. owner conspicuously posts, hand delivers or mails by USPS a 3-Day Eviction Notice. You can make your own or probably find one to download for free. State tenants did not pay rent when due. State the exact amount. State the due date. Include your name, address and phone number.

Sample: THREE DAY NOTICE TO TENANT(S)
(Demand for payment or possession)

DATE ___________ COUNTY ____________________

TO: _______________________ _______________________ _____________________

_______________________ ______________________ ________________________ .

You are hereby notified you are indebted to me $___________ for rent and use of the Premises, known by street address ________________________________ , in County and State.

I demand payment of the Rent or Possession of the Premises within 3 days (excluding Saturday, Sunday and legal Holidays) from the date of delivery of this notice, specifically on/before _________________ .

I certify, I (state how you served Notice: conspicuously posted, hand delivered or mailed) a copy of this Notice on the tenants named above, at the premises noted above, on _______________________ .

Landlord‘s Signature __________________________________ .
Printed Name:
Landlord’s Street Address _________________________________________ .
Landlord’s City, State and Zip:
Landlord’s cell phone number ________________________________ .

2. After the three days lapse, owner files an Unlawful Detainer Complaint in County Court. The Clerk can assist you in obtaining the appropriate form. This step requires a filing fee (usually several hundred dollars) and a Service of Process fee (usually under $100). Obtaining a Court Date can easily take 30 to 60 days.

3. Go to Court. Plea your case.

4. If the Judicial Officer agrees with you, you probably obtain a 24-Hour Writ of Possession that the Sheriff posts on the Premises. You usually pay for this service (about $100). Sheriff ensures tenant(s) vacate. What tenant(s) leave behind, Landlord simultaneously removes to the street curb.

If you successfully evict, you probably stand a better chance to net more on the sale of your house. As a Realtor, I preach Sellers to:

1. demand Prospective Buyer(s) provide evidence of Proof of Funds (POF) with any and all written offers. Vet the source of funds!
2. Evaluate whether the Buyer has made their Best Offer. Can you obtain a higher sale price from someone else? Why or why not? How does the offer play out in terms of Net to Seller.
3. Obtain from a competent professional involved in the transaction a written Net to Seller Estimate.
4. Focus in on exactly how much and when you can expect your Net to Seller proceeds! You want your money!

Thanks. The problem I'm faced with is that the house is 3 hours south of where I live, and anything I do will have to be done in person, during the week. I'd have to take off "x" amount of days to do this. I can do it - it's not that. I have a great boss who is very helpful. Just can't afford to miss that many days. But I know I'm going to have to. Just irritating. Plus I don't want them on the street. I just want them to leave, and leave my property in the shape they got it in.

Thanks. The problem I'm faced with is that the house is 3 hours south of where I live, and anything I do will have to be done in person, during the week. I'd have to take off "x" amount of days to do this. I can do it - it's not that. I have a great boss who is very helpful. Just can't afford to miss that many days. But I know I'm going to have to. Just irritating. Plus I don't want them on the street. I just want them to leave, and leave my property in the shape they got it in.
Caught between the proverbial Rock and a Hard Spot. All roads (feel like they) lead to hell!

Feel some Trippy T. Love! Keep trying your best to do the next right thing!

No one fails who tries their best. Olympian Carl Lewis

Caught between the proverbial Rock and a Hard Spot. All roads (feel like they) lead to hell!

Feel some Trippy T. Love! Keep trying your best to do the next right thing!

No one fails who tries their best. Olympian Carl Lewis

Thanks so much, my friend.

Hell, asking her to give up an estimated 75K, maybe you can throw her a grand?
If she can't do with it as she wants, does she really have it? Your advice is sound, I was merely bringing up an option in case she didn't want to go the eviction route and all that heartache, aggravation and likely legal costs.

Hey, y'all. Could use some advice.

Hey Superfly.... I went in here with the intent of offering you advice, but I don't really have any to give you, at least anything that people like @Trippy Trekker couldn't tell you better.

What I've got is observations... whether they're fair or not.

I came across a quote a few years back which stuck with me.... "every family is in thrall to it's craziest member". It seems to me that in your case, it's your daughter. From reading your posts, she's the one who keeps making the mistakes, and it's everyone else around her who keeps paying the price for them. Her husband gets the stress heart attack. Her son has the depression issues. You get to handle her living expenses. But she loves her dogs. Well, Hitler loved his dogs too.

Your daughter reminds me of my sister-in-law. She's a sociopath. Feels like the world "owes" her. Everybody either has to bow and scrape to her wishes, or they're the scum of the earth. She treats her family like dirt. But she loves her dogs. I could go on and on... I don't know if this rings true for your daughter or not, but from what I've read in your posts, she seems like a sociopath too.

If that's the case here, then the only way forward for you is to out-crazy her. Take your power back. That's your choice.... either that or keep on being her bitch.

I know it's a tough decision for you to make.... but you're not the one who forced it on you.

Hey Superfly.... I went in here with the intent of offering you advice, but I don't really have any to give you, at least anything that people like @Trippy Trekker couldn't tell you better.

What I've got is observations... whether they're fair or not.

I came across a quote a few years back which stuck with me.... "every family is in thrall to it's craziest member". It seems to me that in your case, it's your daughter. From reading your posts, she's the one who keeps making the mistakes, and it's everyone else around her who keeps paying the price for them. Her husband gets the stress heart attack. Her son has the depression issues. You get to handle her living expenses. But she loves her dogs. Well, Hitler loved his dogs too.

Your daughter reminds me of my sister-in-law. She's a sociopath. Feels like the world "owes" her. Everybody either has to bow and scrape to her wishes, or they're the scum of the earth. She treats her family like dirt. But she loves her dogs. I could go on and on... I don't know if this rings true for your daughter or not, but from what I've read in your posts, she seems like a sociopath too.

If that's the case here, then the only way forward for you is to out-crazy her. Take your power back. That's your choice.... either that or keep on being her bitch.

I know it's a tough decision for you to make.... but you're not the one who forced it on you.

The worst daughter - the one who causes the most problems? She is a dog person until it becomes problematic for her, then she just "gives" her dogs to her older sister (the one with the husband and kids). She has very little empathy for anyone or anything. I would see her as a sociopath. She is fine as long as she gets her way. Once someone goes against her, they are the target of her white-hot rage, and that rage is nasty. I've heard her say the most horrible things to me over the last couple of months - things I never dreamed I'd hear her say.

All my kids are fighting this, but middle child is just horrible. Absolutely horrible. The oldest, the one with the family? She's just ****ing lazy and doesn't want to improve her situation by actually working. That's why she's angry. She'll get over it. So will the youngest. But I'm at the point now, that I don't really care. They can get over it or not. I'm the one who should be pissed. Not them.

The worst daughter - the one who causes the most problems? She is a dog person until it becomes problematic for her, then she just "gives" her dogs to her older sister (the one with the husband and kids). She has very little empathy for anyone or anything. I would see her as a sociopath. She is fine as long as she gets her way. Once someone goes against her, they are the target of her white-hot rage, and that rage is nasty. I've heard her say the most horrible things to me over the last couple of months - things I never dreamed I'd hear her say.

All my kids are fighting this, but middle child is just horrible. Absolutely horrible. The oldest, the one with the family? She's just ****ing lazy and doesn't want to improve her situation by actually working. That's why she's angry. She'll get over it. So will the youngest. But I'm at the point now, that I don't really care. They can get over it or not. I'm the one who should be pissed. Not them.

Okay.... then it seems to me that you need to do a divide and conquer thing. The sociopath is probably calling the shots there - she needs to be cut out like a malignant tumor. If you can get that done, it seems to me that the other two would be a lot easier to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom