• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need a job....5.8 million job openings

gdgyva

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Job openings are just about everywhere today.

America had around 5.75 million job openings in March. That's just shy of the all-time high, 5.78 million openings, set last July, according Labor Department data published Tuesday.

It's great that U.S. businesses are hiring. But these record number of openings are also a sign that business owners can't find the skilled workers qualified to fill the jobs they have.

"Employers are having a tougher time finding qualified workers," says Peter Boockvar, chief market analyst at the Lindsey Group.
Related: America's part-time work force is huge

Since November, the number of job openings has increased for five straight months. In 2007, before the Great Recession began, job openings averaged 4.5 million per month. Last year there were 5.3 million openings per month on average.

America has near record 5.8 million job openings - May. 10, 2016

i have a couple of things open now....

but looking for the right people, not just warm bodies

and skills are lacking....(ie one in the accounting department, and most of the people i have had brought in failed our test on excel)

if you cant use excel in accounting, you are basically screwed

The growing debate is how much of this is a skills gap issue from education and experience vs. unrealistic expectations issue of those posting these "openings" they cannot fill.

I am sure it is some combination of the two greatly skewed by the profession in question, but I am unsure what to give the most weight to in a general sense. Because of that concern it is a real unknown if federal grant based intern programs or similar incentives will accomplish all that much.

The growing debate is how much of this is a skills gap issue from education and experience vs. unrealistic expectations issue of those posting these "openings" they cannot fill.

I am sure it is some combination of the two greatly skewed by the profession in question, but I am unsure what to give the most weight to in a general sense. Because of that concern it is a real unknown if federal grant based intern programs or similar incentives will accomplish all that much.
It would have some effect since corps are not investing significantly in job training. The fact that they are sitting on huge piles of cash while whining about the lack of "qualified" prospects.....and at the same time pushing for higher levels of H1B.....I say it is croc tears. We have been seeing less meritocracy, more over-qualified people in the positions they hold.....and a lot of excess labor.

The last time I tried to hire someone I got tons of resumes but 99.99% of them sucked.

If you want a job you should -
1. Be able to spell, punctuate and write in complete sentences.
2. Provide contact information that isn't "JoeyzaPimp@gmail.com" (yeah, that was one of them)
3. Answer your phone if I call.
4. Be on time for an interview.
5. Have had less than 20 jobs in the last year.
6. Have at least one or two verifiable references that aren't relatives or parole officers.
7. Show some kind of evidence that you understand and are capable of learning the job you're applying for.
8. Refrain from telling your potential employer that you already know his or her business better than they do.
9. Be able to explain at least one thing of value you can bring to the table.

Well, for one thing, I will wager that the majority of those openings are "McJobs". I mean, BJ's is hiring at every single one of my stores...so long as you are willing to work for 10 dollars an hour, 20-25 hours per week, and have open availability (IE, be available from 7am till 10pm, and weekends a MUST). Plus, you have a pass our back ground check (glorified credit check) and drug test. Getting the job involves up to THREE interviews, first with an HR person, second with the overseeing mid manager, and last with a senior manager. Three separate trips. And then a 4th and 5th trip for the back ground check and drug test. Then another couple trips for the 3 days of orientation. Then....THEN....you may start working for BJ's. A ****ty retail job that is a dead end for the majority of people working there. And from the many places I have worked, BJ's is one of the best. So I can only imagine the hoops you gotta jump through for some of these other McJobs.

As for needing people with actual skill sets, trades, or professions...well, I'll be honest, I don't know much about it. Retail and restaurants are my forte.

we give everyone that applies for accounting type jobs a basic excel test

move cells, add, subtract, multiply, add columns, etc

not advanced stuff....basic

if you cant work a basic spreadsheet program....learn it.....

i cant hire anyone other than high schoolers that dont know the basics

The last time I tried to hire someone I got tons of resumes but 99.99% of them sucked.

2. Provide contact information that isn't "JoeyzaPimp@gmail.com" (yeah, that was one of them)
6. Have at least one or two verifiable references that aren't relatives or parole officers.
7. Show some kind of evidence that you understand and are capable of learning the job you're applying for.
8. Refrain from telling your potential employer that you already know his or her business better than they do.

This, too, lol. Last week, I went through something like....200 online applications. I came out with 20 that were worthy of wasting actual paper on...of that, NONE were decent. Can't spell your name, or read the instructions to properly fill out an online resume? Keep on walking. Can't seem to list a phone number that is either A, in service, or B, has a voice mail that is set up? Keep on walking. Can find something other that saggy jeans to wear to the interview? I'll stop you at the door and send you on your way. Sorry, but I just don't have the time to waste. Mind you, these applications were for MANAGEMENT positions. Retail management, sure...but still. Get a pair of khakis, at least. SOMETHING.

If you're a CPA and don't know excel, there is something wrong with the school you went to. I learned excel on the fly managing restaurants. If you can figure out your way around excel, prepare for a life of manual labor.

If you're a CPA and don't know excel, there is something wrong with the school you went to. I learned excel on the fly managing restaurants. If you can figure out your way around excel, prepare for a life of manual labor.

these werent cpa positions...but good office staff accounting positions

base pay 35-40k to start

i need that person to have actual ACCOUNTING knowledge and experience....

excel is a MUST....

knowing a debit from a credit is a must....and asset from a liability is a must....

and the head and neck tattoo's.....

sorry....cant use you

I do not think it is just a shortage of skilled people...which it surely partly is.

I think it is also because the jobs offered are lousy...and few want them.

Look at the BLS's employment figures by education level...specifically, the first employment-population ratio, not seasonally adjusted (which is a much better gauge of employment then the U-3 unemployment rate). A higher number is better, btw,

In the last 12 months, the 'Bachelor's degree and higher' and 'Some college or associate degree' category have seen their ratio's drop...I.e. a lower percentage of their groups are now employed. That strongly suggests that there are not enough jobs appropriate for there level of education available...not that there are not enough skilled Americans.

However, over the last 12 months, the two least educated categories have seen their employment-population ratios rise. And the group without even a high school diploma have seen by far the most growth. This strongly suggests that these people are increasingly finding work.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Last edited:

Some of us went to school pre-excel days. :2razz: They did have Lotus 123 but no classes on it at the time, I had a bootleg copy to screw around with though. No our business computer requirement was learning cobol... yeah that came in handy. :lol: They had dropped the 10-key class by that time so that was a learn on your own thing, I taught myself how to do it left handed so I wouldn't have to put my pencil down.

these werent cpa positions...but good office staff accounting positions

base pay 35-40k to start

i need that person to have actual ACCOUNTING knowledge and experience....

excel is a MUST....

knowing a debit from a credit is a must....and asset from a liability is a must....

and the head and neck tattoo's.....

sorry....cant use you

So many "bookkeepers" think they know accounting because they've managed to reconcile a bank account in quickbooks, doesn't matter that they don't know draws on operating loans are not income.

A few years back I needed someone who could handle basic write up stuff (reconcile cash accounts, enter disbursements and maybe enter income). I didn't need anyone to audit and didn't really even need anyone who could get the whole process through trial balance. I just needed someone to get the grunt work done so that I could get it all tied up with a bow without expending too many additional brain cells. The first one I hired had just received her BA. I handed her a checkbook, a bank statement and a bunch of extraneous receipts the client had accumulated over the month. I asked her to reconcile the bank statement and showed her the very basic spreadsheet I use. She couldn't do it without Quickbooks. A little later I had her enter disbursements for another client. When I reviewed her work I commented that she had debit balances in a couple of income accounts. Her exact words "You mean a plus amount?" She didn't make it through the first week. The second guy must have gone to the same school the first one did because he had most of the same issues. I ended up with a woman who had little formal education in accounting but had kept books for a family business for years. She was damned near flawless, fast and great with the clients.

Some of us went to school pre-excel days. :2razz: They did have Lotus 123 but no classes on it at the time, I had a bootleg copy to screw around with though. No our business computer requirement was learning cobol... yeah that came in handy. :lol: They had dropped the 10-key class by that time so that was a learn on your own thing, I taught myself how to do it left handed so I wouldn't have to put my pencil down.

LOL!!!

I remember my first accounting classes. The book actually said, "In a few years you'll be able to do this on a computer". Like you, I had to learn COBOL and PASCAL but it wasn't really part of the accounting program because we were still using 20 column pads.

Yer offering lousy pay, or else you would attract qualified prospects.

Last edited:
So many "bookkeepers" think they know accounting because they've managed to reconcile a bank account in quickbooks, doesn't matter that they don't know draws on operating loans are not income.

Had a client this past year who was doing a little construction. He's an architect but decided to get into building too. Anyway, last year I looked at his books and noticed one cash account with a $2.4M credit balance. Figuring that there might be something amiss I asked about it and found that it was actually his customer's account and they were writing all the checks out of that because the customer wanted a record. I explained that the account didn't belong to the business and showed him how to fix it.

This year I got his books and everything looked good...up until I realized that we sent out about $250k more in 1099's than he showed in his Subcontractor expense. I came to find that he was still writing checks out of the draw account but keeping a separate set of books for that.

And number 10. Don't show up stoned as the bejesus. LOL.

Had a client this past year who was doing a little construction. He's an architect but decided to get into building too. Anyway, last year I looked at his books and noticed one cash account with a $2.4M credit balance. Figuring that there might be something amiss I asked about it and found that it was actually his customer's account and they were writing all the checks out of that because the customer wanted a record. I explained that the account didn't belong to the business and showed him how to fix it.

This year I got his books and everything looked good...up until I realized that we sent out about $250k more in 1099's than he showed in his Subcontractor expense. I came to find that he was still writing checks out of the draw account but keeping a separate set of books for that.

:doh :lamo :roll: :confused: They ALL seemed appropriate.

Job openings are just about everywhere today.

America had around 5.75 million job openings in March. That's just shy of the all-time high, 5.78 million openings, set last July, according Labor Department data published Tuesday.

It's great that U.S. businesses are hiring. But these record number of openings are also a sign that business owners can't find the skilled workers qualified to fill the jobs they have.

"Employers are having a tougher time finding qualified workers," says Peter Boockvar, chief market analyst at the Lindsey Group.
Related: America's part-time work force is huge

Since November, the number of job openings has increased for five straight months. In 2007, before the Great Recession began, job openings averaged 4.5 million per month. Last year there were 5.3 million openings per month on average.

America has near record 5.8 million job openings - May. 10, 2016

i have a couple of things open now....

but looking for the right people, not just warm bodies

and skills are lacking....(ie one in the accounting department, and most of the people i have had brought in failed our test on excel)

if you cant use excel in accounting, you are basically screwed

And by "qualified" that often means "while they can do the work, they won't work for the near free price I want them to".

Picky, picky. ;)

Yer offering lousy pay, or else you would attract qualified prospects.

35-40k starting for a basic staff accountant is lousy pay?

I got like 200 resumes submitted for the job....

I guess it can't be too bad....

But thanks for your opinion

Is speaking English required ? :lamo

Is speaking English required ? :lamo

That depends on the job. If you want to work in my office it's a requirement that you at least understand English and it's a benefit if you can translate between English and Spanish.

Back
Top Bottom