• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need a book suggestion

soccerboy22

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I am taking a break from the classical books I have been reading for the past few months and want to get back into reading some non-fiction. I am looking for a good history non-fiction, preferably something that isn't U.S. history since that is my focus for my history major. I am looking mainly for books that deal with Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, China, or Japan since those are former subjects that have peaked my interests before. Although I am open to any area's history. Any suggestions any one can offer would be much appreciated.

Here's some of the books I'm reading at the moment.

Amazon.com: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany (9780671728687): William L. Shirer: Books

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany - Glenn Beck would say it's too liberal cause it doesn't indict Obama as being a Nazi.

Amazon.com: The Rise and Fall of Communism (9780061138799): Archie Brown: Books

The Rise and Fall of Communism - Absolutely excellent book. Again too liberal for Glenn Beck cause it has facts and ****.

Amazon.com: After the Party: Corruption, the ANC and South Africa's Uncertain Future (Updated edition) (9781844676279): Andrew Feinstein: Books

After the Party - Interesting, all about one White MP's time as a ANC politician in South Africa, and how he left because of how corrupt it was.

I have read the Brown book and I agree it was a very good read. The South African one looks really interesting. As for the third one I sort of want to jokingly hit you for bring the Nazis and Beck into this thread...they seem to be everywhere as of late. Joking aside it does look interesting.

Speaking of Beck, my aunt did get me his book for Christmas and it is still sitting underneath all my notes from Fall semester. Well I think it is still there.

jokingly hit you for bring the Nazis and Beck into this thread...they seem to be everywhere as of late. Joking aside it does look interesting.

I know I shouldn't have lol. I just couldn't help it, his ignorance on Hitler and the Nazi's astounds me (Although he's not ignorant, he plays on peoples fears and makes millions for it)

However, that Nazi book IMHO is THE definitive guide to how they started, gained power, what they were like in power, and eventually their downfall. One of the most well written and informative books I have ever read.

While not exactly the regions suggested

Tamerlane Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World was a very good read. Very in depth and covers the last of the great nomadic empire creators (Mongols

The Mughal Throne The Sage of India's Great Emperors.

The Mughals were descendants of Tamerlane

I am taking a break from the classical books I have been reading for the past few months and want to get back into reading some non-fiction. I am looking for a good history non-fiction, preferably something that isn't U.S. history since that is my focus for my history major. I am looking mainly for books that deal with Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, China, or Japan since those are former subjects that have peaked my interests before. Although I am open to any area's history. Any suggestions any one can offer would be much appreciated.

A World Lit Only by Fire, by William Manchester.

Last edited:
While not exactly the regions suggested

Tamerlane Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World was a very good read. Very in depth and covers the last of the great nomadic empire creators (Mongols

The Mughal Throne The Sage of India's Great Emperors.

The Mughals were descendants of Tamerlane

Thanks all look fairly interesting. And it doesn't bother me that it isn't in the areas I mention. I just wanted something outside of what I normally read for school.

A World Lit Only by Fire, by William Manchester.

That looks really interesting thanks!

The Jack Tales. Apalachan Folklore. On AMAZON. Its different and its exciting. I read it to my kids.

The Spanish Civil War: Reaction, Revolution and Revenge:Amazon:Books

A fun read was a collection of Cicero's trial defenses in murder trials.

Have you Read Jared Diamond's mandatory piece: Guns Germs and Steel?

Solid foundations of global history there.

Empire by Niall Ferguson

The Mask of Command by John Keegan

The Middle East: A Brief History of the last 2,000 years by Bernard Lewis

Back
Top Bottom