• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly All the Officers in Charge of an Indiana Police Department Have Been Disciplined — Including

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Nearly All the Officers in Charge of an Indiana Police Department Have Been Disciplined — Including the Chief Who Keeps Promoting Them
Mods- Title will not fit

Under Windbigler, Thayer and Long are not aberrations, according to a review of personnel files by the South Bend Tribune and ProPublica. Twenty-eight of the Elkhart Police Department’s 34 supervisors, from chief down to sergeant, have disciplinary records.The reasons range from carelessness to incompetence to serious, even criminal, misconduct. Fifteen of them have served suspensions, including Windbigler himself, who was once suspended for three days — and ordered to pay punitive damages in a federal lawsuit alleging excessive force.

From 2013 to 2017, Elkhart police shot and killed six people while New York City police killed 43. Elkhart’s population is 53,000 — New York City’s, 8.6 million. The NYPD had about seven times more police shootings — in a city with more than 160 times the people.
https://www.propublica.org/article/...diana-police-department-have-been-disciplined

Nothing wrong here folks.
28 of 34 Supervisors with troubling disciplinary records to complete incompetence.
Clear that this Dept needs to be cleaned up. And that begins with the Chief/Mayor/Council, rot starts at the head
Oh yes the Mayor has a son as a Supervisor who has, shall we say issues??
Just a bunch of good ol boys.

Civilian oversight lacking.
And going out on a limb, Depts like this are more common than we think.
Only times we learn of them is from a police shooting, to LEO's beating someone on video

Sessions lessened oversight of Police Depts. using the Courts and consent decrees. Clearly buying votes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/us/politics/sessions-limits-consent-decrees.html

In a major last-minute act, Mr. Sessions signed a memorandum on Wednesday before President Trump fired him sharply curtailing the use of so-called consent decrees, court-approved deals between the Justice Department and local governments that create a road map of changes for law enforcement and other institutions.

The move means that the decrees, used aggressively by Obama-era Justice Department officials to fight police abuses, will be more difficult to enact. Mr. Sessions had signaled he would pull back on their use soon after he took office when he ordered a review of the existing agreements, including with police departments in Baltimore, Chicago and Ferguson, Mo., enacted amid a national outcry over the deaths of black men at the hands of officers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine they would have a significantly disparity in police training budget as well.

Nearly All the Officers in Charge of an Indiana Police Department Have Been Disciplined — Including the Chief Who Keeps Promoting Them
Mods- Title will not fit

28 of 34 Supervisors with troubling disciplinary records to complete incompetence.
Clear that this Dept needs to be cleaned up. And that begins with the Chief/Mayor/Council, rot starts at the head

Only times we learn of them is from a police shooting, to LEO's beating someone on video

Sessions lessened oversight of Police Depts. using the Courts and consent decrees. Clearly buying votes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/us/politics/sessions-limits-consent-decrees.html

Is there a link as to the original article regarding the Indiana Police Department?

Look for the union label and the ability to have 'internal investigations' instead of criminal charges or even firing for incompetence or gross negligence.

Mods- Title will not fit

Other than you gratuitous "more departments like this . . ." you have a lot of good points here. The integrity of a police department is critical to its ability to serve its community. Elkhart is a total failure. I'm stunned that it's been allowed to fester for so long.

I imagine they would have a significantly disparity in police training budget as well.

Training, pay, fair discipline, many officers on the verge of firing, resign, then a good number are hired by other Depts.

Police corruption is bad, period. Agree, civilian oversight is a must.

I don't care who they are or what country they are from, house cleanings need to be done for corrupt police depts.

Yes, agree that the problem is more common than we think.

Hundreds of officers in the Greater Toronto Area disciplined for ‘serious’ misconduct in past five years

Yes Canada does have problems, that said I think the US has much more. Should they be addressed, yes
Thin Blue Line when lying, framing people should be gone, and never have an LEOs position again

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...arbitration-scott-maxwell-20171208-story.html

Other than you gratuitous "more departments like this . . ." you have a lot of good points here. The integrity of a police department is critical to its ability to serve its community. Elkhart is a total failure. I'm stunned that it's been allowed to fester for so long.

Not gratuitous. A substantial number of smaller to even large Depts have significant problems.

Do the timeline from the shooting to release of video. A coverup right from the Mayor down to the DA and Police

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ilty-murder-death-laquan-mcdonald/1525648002/

Not gratuitous. A substantial number of smaller to even large Depts have significant problems.
Yet another gratuitous comment. WTF is a "substantial number" MEAN? You're just throwing out clichés.
janfu said:
Do the timeline from the shooting to release of video. A coverup right from the Mayor down to the DA and Police

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ilty-murder-death-laquan-mcdonald/1525648002/
So, now we have Elkhart and Chicago PD comprising a "substantial number"?

Yet another gratuitous comment. WTF is a "substantial number" MEAN? You're just throwing out clichés.
So, now we have Elkhart and Chicago PD comprising a "substantial number"?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-doj-investigations-police-departments-20170112-htmlstory.html

The U.S. Department of Justice announced on Friday the results of its investigation into the Chicago Police Department, finding that the department engaged in unlawful policing that violated the U.S. Constitution. The Justice Department's initial report lays the groundwork for a pending consent decree that includes specific reforms overseen by an outside monitor.

The DOJ is currently enforcing 20 consent decrees and agreements around the country (not including Chicago), and there are four ongoing investigations. It's unclear, however, how President-elect Donald Trump's administration will handle civil rights investigations going forward.
And Sessions pretty well stifled consent decrees. Does that help or hinder?

Look for the union label and the ability to have 'internal investigations' instead of criminal charges or even firing for incompetence or gross negligence.

That's true to some extent, but I read an interesting book, Blue on Blue, by a former head of NYC's IAD, and he managed to clean up a bunch of NYC corruption by just being consistent and having the support at the top. It was more complicated than that, but that's the bottom line. He quit dinging guys for BS stuff, focused on the corruption, the really bad actors, hired really qualified people to do the job, provided incentives to do the job right, and things got better on every measure.

Unions made it hard to prosecute people in some cases, but couldn't protect the actual bad cops from at least getting fired, removed from the force.

Yes Canada does have problems, that said I think the US has much more. Should they be addressed, yes
Thin Blue Line when lying, framing people should be gone, and never have an LEOs position again

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...arbitration-scott-maxwell-20171208-story.html

I agree, and so does one of my three sons who is a chief of police in a suburban area of Chicago.
I remember he called me one time to tell me to read about one of his patrolmen who got busted in SD. for taunting an Hispanic at the beach.
When he returned home, he was suspended and when he was convicted he was fired. This is what it takes. Cops not covering for other bad cops.

I agree, and so does one of my three sons who is a chief of police in a suburban area of Chicago.
I remember he called me one time to tell me to read about one of his patrolmen who got busted in SD. for taunting an Hispanic at the beach.
When he returned home, he was suspended and when he was convicted he was fired. This is what it takes. Cops not covering for other bad cops.

I am not condemning US Police, but smaller Departments Officers are lowly paid, lack good training, further training, standards, and Polices are not adhered to.

These Officers that cannot perform their duties after many disciplinary incidents, should be seen off
The other points also need to be addressed, including strong civilian oversight

One does not throw Officers under the bus for minor crap. Far to much money invested in their training, sends a bad message to rank and file. Those are the ones that need leadership/training/oversight to address their shortfalls, and turn them around. That in itself also sends a positive message to the Officers

When screw ups get away with the crap as detailed in the link, that affects all Officers morale and leads to poor performance by others. And that is corrosive on all Officers performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom