• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 90,000 Small Businesses in US Expected to Close After Senate GOP Kills Main Street Relief Bill

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

"The fate of these small businesses," said one advocacy group, "will be tied to those senators who voted down this lifeline today."

Advocates for independently-owned businesses warned that restaurants, gyms, and other Main Street businesses across the U.S. will be forced to close in the coming months after Republicans in the Senate on Thursday blocked a $48 billion package to provide relief to owners who have struggled to stay afloat during the coronavirus pandemic.

The bipartisan Small Business Covid Relief Act (S. 4008), which was meant to replenish the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) passed last year, was cosponsored by Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), but still failed to get more than five Republican senators to support it.

The vast majority of GOP lawmakers claimed that helping locally-owned restaurants and bars to stay open and continue employing people in their communities would worsen inflation and contribute to the deficit, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) saying on the Senate floor that "dumping more money in the economy is simply pouring $5-a-gallon gas on an already out-of-control fire."

As a result, said Erika Polmar of the Independent Restaurant Coalition (IRC), "we estimate more than half of the 177,300 restaurants waiting for an RRF grant will close in the next few months."

The bill would have given $40 billion to independent restaurants left out of the restaurant relief program which passed last year but ran out of funds in just three weeks, with only one in three applicants receiving grants.

"Ironically, this filibuster followed a vote to stand in solidarity at a similar level of funding with a group of European allies that handled some of the worst effects of the past two years with far more grace and unity."

"Local restaurants across the country expected help but the Senate couldn't finish the job," said Polmar. "Neighborhood restaurants nationwide have held out hope for this program, selling their homes, cashing out retirement funds, or taking personal loans in an effort to keep their employees working."

The RRF bill would also have given $2 billion for gyms and fitness centers, $2 billion for live event companies, $2 billion for bus and ferry operators, $1.4 billion for companies near border crossings which have shut down during the pandemic, and $500 million for minor league sports teams.

The Community Gyms Coalition told The Hill that although an RRF replenishment bill passed in the House, the Senate "failed to invest in fitness and exercise despite their obvious benefits for Americans' mental and physical health."

"After hanging on for another year, hurting restaurants and bars throughout America, especially in rural communities, may not see any relief despite the House passing a bill just last month to put more money into the RRF," said Didier Trinh, policy and political impact director for Main Street Alliance (MSA). "The fate of these small businesses—including ones owned by women and people of color that were left behind—will be tied to those senators who voted down this lifeline today."

snip

So you post an article and dont even put your own opinion after?

Do you agree with the Senate? Disagree?

Why?

Do you know what is in the actual bill?

So you post an article and dont even put your own opinion after?

Do you agree with the Senate? Disagree?

Why?

Do you know what is in the actual bill?
Why do you need my personal opinion on this for you to form our own thoughts on the subject?

Why do you need my personal opinion on this for you to form our own thoughts on the subject?
17. Starting a Thread - When starting a thread, it is best to express your own thoughts in your own words. Threads without original content may be summarily closed.

forum rules....although a lot of time, the mods do not enforce it

Assuming the statements in support of the bill are true, one could fairly say "gotta do what we can to generate a recession so we can blame it on Biden."

I doubt any citing inflation are acting in good faith. We could have avoided part of it by simply not bailing everyone out, but then we'd land in a massive recession that would leave everyone in a far worse position than they ended up in. My only real complaint is that the Democrats at the very least should have had people working out how to better target the 3rd stimulus. But so too should have Republicans; ditto the second. The first had to go out right away. From there, there should have been more attention paid, instead of assuming a second wouldn't be too necessary.

Of course... supply chains would've been screwed anyway because of COVID. Ditto demand being pent up. And then Russia would launch its war.

An analysis of any potential inflationary effect from whatever bill is being discussed, as measured against the effect on the economy from doing nothing, would be useful. Given the the amounts in question and the lying liars in the GOP, I think we can accurately guesstimate that the inflationary effect would be somewhere between none and a fraction of a fraction of a hair past none.

Advocates for independently-owned businesses warned that restaurants, gyms, and other Main Street businesses across the U.S. will be forced to close in the coming months after Republicans in the Senate on Thursday blocked a $48 billion package to provide relief to owners who have struggled to stay afloat during the coronavirus pandemic.

No, they have struggled to stay afloat after the idiot asshole government shut the economy down over a virus with a 99.5% survival rate.

Most of these restaurants took advantage of the PPP money from the original bailout money

If not, then well, they screwed up.....because it was available

I was still getting emails about money available until maybe 2 months ago for my business

So no....i dont think we need to add more money to the credit cards that just keeps growing and growing

And of course this bill has extra crap in it also....border money....everyone has their hand out for freebies

No, they have struggled to stay afloat after the idiot asshole government shut the economy down over a virus with a 99.5% survival rate.

The idiot asshole government, huh?

I can't think of anything more idiotic than arguing we would be in a better position if we did nothing. I suppose it's callous, too. But those overly impressed by Atlas Shrugged would probably call it "tough love", perhaps never having experienced and having no reason to think they will experience living under the government they pretend to want.

The GOP is not the party of life OR the party of business.

"The fate of these small businesses," said one advocacy group, "will be tied to those senators who voted down this lifeline today."

The bipartisan Small Business Covid Relief Act (S. 4008), which was meant to replenish the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) passed last year, was cosponsored by Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), but still failed to get more than five Republican senators to support it.

The vast majority of GOP lawmakers claimed that helping locally-owned restaurants and bars to stay open and continue employing people in their communities would worsen inflation and contribute to the deficit, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) saying on the Senate floor that "dumping more money in the economy is simply pouring $5-a-gallon gas on an already out-of-control fire."

As a result, said Erika Polmar of the Independent Restaurant Coalition (IRC), "we estimate more than half of the 177,300 restaurants waiting for an RRF grant will close in the next few months."

The bill would have given $40 billion to independent restaurants left out of the restaurant relief program which passed last year but ran out of funds in just three weeks, with only one in three applicants receiving grants.

"Ironically, this filibuster followed a vote to stand in solidarity at a similar level of funding with a group of European allies that handled some of the worst effects of the past two years with far more grace and unity."

"Local restaurants across the country expected help but the Senate couldn't finish the job," said Polmar. "Neighborhood restaurants nationwide have held out hope for this program, selling their homes, cashing out retirement funds, or taking personal loans in an effort to keep their employees working."

The RRF bill would also have given $2 billion for gyms and fitness centers, $2 billion for live event companies, $2 billion for bus and ferry operators, $1.4 billion for companies near border crossings which have shut down during the pandemic, and $500 million for minor league sports teams.

The Community Gyms Coalition told The Hill that although an RRF replenishment bill passed in the House, the Senate "failed to invest in fitness and exercise despite their obvious benefits for Americans' mental and physical health."

"After hanging on for another year, hurting restaurants and bars throughout America, especially in rural communities, may not see any relief despite the House passing a bill just last month to put more money into the RRF," said Didier Trinh, policy and political impact director for Main Street Alliance (MSA). "The fate of these small businesses—including ones owned by women and people of color that were left behind—will be tied to those senators who voted down this lifeline today."

snip
Why do small businesses need help in Biden's booming economy?

From the op, he is correct

The vast majority of GOP lawmakers claimed that helping locally-owned restaurants and bars to stay open and continue employing people in their communities would worsen inflation and contribute to the deficit, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) saying on the Senate floor that "dumping more money in the economy is simply pouring $5-a-gallon gas on an already out-of-contro

Again, can people please read the OP...
I did. Classic Common(wet)dream loony left nonsense. $48 billion? Have we even spent that much on Ukraine? The bars and restaurants I've seen in the past few months are booming as much as possible - they need MORE employees, not more "free money".

I can't think of anything more idiotic than arguing we would be in a better position if we did nothing.

The classic leftist argument for government intervention:

Government should do something.
This is something.
Therefore, government should do this.

No discussion about costs vs benefits or pros vs cons. Any crisis, real or imaginary, automatically justifies "bold government action" because government doing something is always better than government doing nothing.

Bad leadership at the top.

Most people know why republicans would vote against this. Anything to blame it all going to hell on Biden.
You did that for Trump for four years - same logic still applies.

Correct me if I did the math wrong but this amounts to over $50k per establishment. Other than just kicking the failure can a little further down the road what is the taxpayer getting for that money?

From the op, he is correct

The vast majority of GOP lawmakers claimed that helping locally-owned restaurants and bars to stay open and continue employing people in their communities would worsen inflation and contribute to the deficit, with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) saying on the Senate floor that "dumping more money in the economy is simply pouring $5-a-gallon gas on an already out-of-contro

Businesses must close and people must lose their jobs because we have to fight inflation and the deficit.

Businesses must close and people must lose their jobs because we have to fight inflation and the deficit.
That sounds similar to the lefts response to raising the minimum wage

You said "most people", I assume that would include you.
Yes, I know why republicans are trying to make everything awful right now.

Back
Top Bottom