• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 40% of Gen Zs identify as LGBTQ

So, there's like 8 billion humans in the world.

I am totally okay with people being Gay or whatnot. Anything that means a reduction or at least stasis in population.
They aren't gay, they are typically straight but want to appear different. Things like non binary. Most of them will grow out of this particular fad

Your imaginary friends are gay? cool! ;)🤣
So is my imaginary daughter. I'm not sure I'd rely on that magic 8 ball, but it seems to bring you unwarranted confidence. ;)

Let's say in a society than 10 million people identify as B or Q (the number is certainly higher), but only 5 million people are willing to date someone that is B or Q, you don't see that as a problem for them?
Show me the study that says that (or that the percentage of people willing to date B or Q people does not support the number of B or Q people). I have not seen any data about that shown in this thread, just you repeating this point.

It can be both true that the majority of people will not date B or Q people and that there are still a sufficient number of people willing to date B or Q people to accommodate. With the poll you posted, which itself has questionable language, not breaking down the LGBTQ categories it’s difficult to determine anything about your question from it.

I have neither the time nor the right device (I’m on my phone) to do a deep dive, but some basic math doesn’t show this to me to be an obvious problem. Let’s say the first poll is dead on, which I find very suspect, and 40% of Gen Z is LGBTQ. Then let’s say half of it is neither L nor G. So 20% in the category you are concerned for. The first poll I found shows 43% of millennials willing to date a bisexual person. I’d say Gen Z would be even more likely to, but let’s say it’s the same for the sake of the argument. Is it truly a problem that more than double the 20% of the population of Bs and Gs is willing to date them? Maybe, but not obviously so. I’d need to see the data to support that.

This is just a terribly non-scientific guesstimate, but that’s kind of the point. You haven’t really presented evidence of the problem you’re hypothesizing, so I don’t really see how anyone could determine from what is in the thread, whether the problem you have suggested exists, actually does.

Show me the study that says that (or that the percentage of people willing to date B or Q people does not support the number of B or Q people). I have not seen any data about that shown in this thread, just you repeating this point.

It can be both true that the majority of people will not date B or Q people and that there are still a sufficient number of people willing to date B or Q people to accommodate. With the poll you posted, which itself has questionable language, not breaking down the LGBTQ categories it’s difficult to determine anything about your question from it.

I have neither the time nor the right device (I’m on my phone) to do a deep dive, but some basic math doesn’t show this to me to be an obvious problem. Let’s say the first poll is dead on, which I find very suspect, and 40% of Gen Z is LGBTQ. Then let’s say half of it is neither L nor G. So 20% in the category you are concerned for. The first poll I found shows 43% of millennials willing to date a bisexual person. I’d say Gen Z would be even more likely to, but let’s say it’s the same for the sake of the argument. Is it truly a problem that more than double the 20% of the population of Bs and Gs is willing to date them? Maybe, but not obviously so. I’d need to see the data to support that.

This is just a terribly non-scientific guesstimate, but that’s kind of the point. You haven’t really presented evidence of the problem you’re hypothesizing, so I don’t really see how anyone could determine from what is in the thread, whether the problem you have suggested exists, actually does.
He wasn't making a claim based on any statistics he was presenting a hypothetical I was kind of strange review to complain that his hypothetical doesn't reflect any studies why would it is a hypothetical.

He wasn't making a claim based on any statistics he was presenting a hypothetical I was kind of strange review to complain that his hypothetical doesn't reflect any studies why would it is a hypothetical.
I know his numbers were hypothetical. But it’s through that hypothetical that he seems to be presenting the problem he’s based this thread on discussing, namely that there is a problem because there are not enough people willing to date B or Q people to support the number of Gen Z B or Q people. Though he can correct me if I’m wrong, that seems to be the point of his thread.

I specifically called out the hypothetical numbers he provided as I believe his case would be more persuasive if he presented actual data for this claim.

His hypothetical numbers are not persuasive. If there were 10 million B or Q people and only 5 million willing to date them, that would of course be a problem. People would be more likely to take his claim seriously if he presented evidence that something like that scenario exists, which he has not.

I know his numbers were hypothetical.
Yet you asked for a servery on hypothetical numbers?
But it’s through that hypothetical that he seems to be presenting the problem he’s based this thread on discussing, namely that there is a problem because there are not enough people willing to date B or Q people to support the number of Gen Z B or Q people. Though he can correct me if I’m wrong, that seems to be the point of his thread.

I specifically called out the hypothetical numbers he provided as I believe his case would be more persuasive if he presented actual data for this claim.

His hypothetical numbers are not persuasive. If there were 10 million B or Q people and only 5 million willing to date them, that would of course be a problem. People would be more likely to take his claim seriously if he presented evidence that something like that scenario exists, which he has not.
Hypotheticals aren't meant to be persuasive they are meant to illustrate a point.

Yet you asked for a servery on hypothetical numbers?
Hypotheticals aren't meant to be persuasive they are meant to illustrate a point.
He used the hypothetical to show that if a situation like that existed it would be a problem. That’s a fine use of a hypothetical. But I’m the thread, he is arguing that we have a situation with the same problem as in his hypothetical.

I don’t see how anyone could be persuaded that we are in such a situation without data.

If his goal is to persuade people that in his hypothetical there would be a problem then I absolutely agree. If his goal is to persuade people that we actually have such a problem, I’d like to see the data before I agree with him.

He used the hypothetical to show that if a situation
No he didn't. That's not what a hypothetical is for.
like that existed it would be a problem. That’s a fine use of a hypothetical. But I’m the thread, he is arguing that we have a situation with the same problem as in his hypothetical.

I don’t see how anyone could be persuaded that we are in such a situation without data.

If his goal is to persuade people that in his hypothetical there would be a problem then I absolutely agree. If his goal is to persuade people that we actually have such a problem, I’d like to see the data before I agree with him.
The goal of a hypothetical still isn't too persuade.

No he didn't. That's not what a hypothetical is for.

The goal of a hypothetical still isn't too persuade.
Then why do you believe he put the hypothetical in his post. What purpose do you ascribe to him?

And either way, I’m not only referring to his hypothetical. He’s mentioned his point that he believes that there are not enough people willing to date Bs or Qs to support the total number of Gen Z people claiming to be Bs or Qs several times in this thread. If you have a problem with me calling out his hypothetical is being a poor way of showing his point, then I will expand my argument. Nothing he has said in this thread has been persuasive toward that point and the best way to be persuasive would be to provide data.

The fact there is a debate on any percent who pretend to be some stupid dress up character. Its an illness.

The fact there is a debate on any percent who pretend to be some stupid dress up character. Its an illness.
What stupid dress-up characters are you referring to?

The only illness that I see is being a MAGAite and obeying an obvious conman.

Then why do you believe he put the hypothetical in his post. What purpose do you ascribe to him?
the purpose of a hypothetical is to illustrate a point
And either way, I’m not only referring to his hypothetical. He’s mentioned his point that he believes that there are not enough people willing to date Bs or Qs to support the total number of Gen Z people claiming to be Bs or Qs several times in this thread. If you have a problem with me calling out his hypothetical is being a poor way of showing his point, then I will expand my argument. Nothing he has said in this thread has been persuasive toward that point and the best way to be persuasive would be to provide data.
No it isn't I understood it very easily.

the purpose of a hypothetical is to illustrate a point

No it isn't I understood it very easily.
I fail to see how illustrating a point is not intended to be persuasive toward his point.

Then clearly I have massively misunderstood his point. If I have, then I apologize to him. Since you understood it so clearly, I would be appreciative if you explain it to me.

I fail to see how illustrating a point is not intended to be persuasive toward his point.
I don't care why he was illustrating the point I'm just dating but that's the point of hypothetical it's not to persuade you.

If you can't see that get your eyes checked.
Then clearly I have massively misunderstood his point. If I have, then I apologize to him. Since you understood it so clearly, I would be appreciative if you explain it to me.
That's between you and him I was only referencing the hypothetical.

I don't care why he was illustrating the point I'm just dating but that's the point of hypothetical it's not to persuade you.

If you can't see that get your eyes checked.

That's between you and him I was only referencing the hypothetical.
What’s the point of illustrating a point if not to make it more persuasive. What other objective is achieved?

for people to understand

Making sure your argument is understood is a key part of the persuasiveness of an argument, something I would argue is the ultimate goal of debate which is the purpose that I believe ALiberalModerate has.

But a semantics argument is not interesting to me. I concede completely to your use of language here. I do not believe whether he is using a hypothetical to persuade or inform is a substantive issue so if we can just agree you are right on that issue that’s fine with me.

To ALiberalModerate: I believe that the point you are trying to make in this thread is that there is a problem with Gen Z forming romantic relationships because there are too many of that group identifying as B or Q without enough people who would date Bs or Qs to support it. If you believe I have misunderstood your point, please correct me.

I think that the only way one could be reasonably persuaded that this is the case is with data. I don’t think anything you have provided in this thread, whether you meant the hypothetical to persuade people or not, is persuasive to your point. If you have seen data that would support your claim, I’d like to see it.

Making sure your argument is understood is a key part of the persuasiveness of an argument,
That's something you should address to the poster that made the comment.
something I would argue is the ultimate goal of debate which is the purpose that I believe ALiberalModerate has.

But a semantics argument is not interesting to me. I concede completely to your use of language here. I do not believe whether he is using a hypothetical to persuade or inform is a substantive issue so if we can just agree you are right on that issue that’s fine with me.

To ALiberalModerate: I believe that the point you are trying to make in this thread is that there is a problem with Gen Z forming romantic relationships because there are too many of that group identifying as B or Q without enough people who would date Bs or Qs to support it. If you believe I have misunderstood your point, please correct me.

I think that the only way one could be reasonably persuaded that this is the case is with data. I don’t think anything you have provided in this thread, whether you meant the hypothetical to persuade people or not, is persuasive to your point. If you have seen data that would support your claim, I’d like to see it.
Your opinion is fine.

This seems very high to me. None of us know what it is like to be someone else, so when someone identifies somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, we should accept it. However, when you have a generation that identifies as LGBTQ at this high of a rate, that just seems really high and you have to think that some of it may be more social trend than actual sexual and/or gender identification.

I don't think such high rates of LGBTQ identification serves Generation Z well in terms of dating and relationships. This is evidenced by the fact that they both have sex less than other generations and are less apt to be in relationships than other generations. https://www.gq.com/story/gen-z-puriteens

What follows is my personal opinion, but I think its backed pretty well by real world experience and some studies: There is a percentage of the population that is willing to enter serious relationships with someone that is bisexual, pansexual, polysexual and so on, however, it is not anywhere near 40% of the population and I very much doubt it is even 40% of the Gen Z population. As the vast majority of people instinctively want romantic relationships, this is a societal problem.

For example, a majority of women would not consider dating a bisexual man and even bisexual women are less attracted to bisexual men: https://bi.org/en/articles/bi-men-are-not-considered-attractive-new-study-says

Now think about it, if a solid majority of women would not date a bisexual man, what percentage do you think would date a pansexual man, or a gender fluid man? I think we can safely say that number is likely much, much lower. People tend to want clarity in relationships. Long term relationships are difficult to begin with as one has to consider the wants and needs of another person. This is why people, right or wrong, tend to want simplicity in relationships. If you throw in something like gender fluid or pansexuality into a relationship, the emotional complexities of that relationship seemingly grow exponentially, which likely is why they are considered "less attractive", for relationships. I would suspect one could find studies where this was the case in same sex relationships as well. Ask many gay men to describe their perfect man, and likely he will be the stereotypical "perfect man". Ask most women to describe their perfect man, and he will likely be a handsome man's man that treats them as equals and contributes equally around the house and in the raising of their children. Ask most men to describe their perfect woman, and while she might be petite or really curvy, she will be feminine in either case.

My point is that regardless of what one thinks of such high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ, it will likely lead to a lot of challenges for many of them in forming long term romantic relationships.

I am curious what others think, and please do not turn this into an LGBTQ bash thread. That is not my intention at all.
I find this number too be far too high. Numerous studies indicate 9% of the population is homosexual. This number has remained consistent thru the last few years. Gen Z seem to want to jump on the bandwagon.

Personally I don't date bi men, they are ok for a bit of fun, but not much more. In my experience most bi men will always go the traditional route, marriage and children.

The kids I know, it seems to be "trendy".

But I don't know, they are just kids who look things up on the internet to self diagnose. They think they know it all these days and need to get off my lawn.
If i could like this post twice I would.

Believe me if I had a choice I would be straight, my life would have been far less complicated being a baby boomer.

An unreleased study on sexuality from:

Cultural Research Center at Arizona Christian University and Foundations of Freedom,
and we’re just gonna repeat this shit unquestioningly?

If i could like this post twice I would.

Believe me if I had a choice I would be straight, my life would have been far less complicated being a baby boomer.
Well yeah but I think that's because you're gay not because you're non-binary. Remember the LGBT has expanded quite a bit for a lot of identities that didn't even exist 10 years ago.

Well yeah but I think that's because you're gay not because you're non-binary. Remember the LGBT has expanded quite a bit for a lot of identities that didn't even exist 10 years ago.
Expanded into what?

Your either straight, gay, or bi

If your not happy with the parts your born with I suggest therapy. If a clinical therapist signs off on the sex change go for it.

Years ago if one needed a sex change it required a licensed mental health profesional to approve such a drastic life change, it still should.

These same non binary folks are the first to bitch and scream discrimination when gays or straights show no interest in dating them.

Just pick a gender and get on with it 🙄

Expanded into what?

Your either straight, gay, or bi

If your not happy with the parts your born with I suggest therapy. If a clinical therapist signs off on the sex change go for it.

Years ago if one needed a sex change it required a licensed mental health profesional to approve such a drastic life change, it still should.

These same non binary folks are the first to bitch and scream discrimination when gays or straights show no interest in dating them.

Just pick a gender and get on with it 🙄
Yeah I agree but the people in charge of this don't and now we have straight people that are telling themselves non-binary or demisexual so they can be part of the LGBT it has become quite a fad lately. I'm not a boomer I'm a millennial but I was one of the first millennials. And I remember the rainbow flag being seen Morris something a little on the garage side other side gay people didn't use that to represent themselves now it's silk screened on shirts sold at Walmart. It's become more popular.

Back
Top Bottom