• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 40% of Gen Zs identify as LGBTQ

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

This seems very high to me. None of us know what it is like to be someone else, so when someone identifies somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, we should accept it. However, when you have a generation that identifies as LGBTQ at this high of a rate, that just seems really high and you have to think that some of it may be more social trend than actual sexual and/or gender identification.

I don't think such high rates of LGBTQ identification serves Generation Z well in terms of dating and relationships. This is evidenced by the fact that they both have sex less than other generations and are less apt to be in relationships than other generations. https://www.gq.com/story/gen-z-puriteens

What follows is my personal opinion, but I think its backed pretty well by real world experience and some studies: There is a percentage of the population that is willing to enter serious relationships with someone that is bisexual, pansexual, polysexual and so on, however, it is not anywhere near 40% of the population and I very much doubt it is even 40% of the Gen Z population. As the vast majority of people instinctively want romantic relationships, this is a societal problem.

For example, a majority of women would not consider dating a bisexual man and even bisexual women are less attracted to bisexual men: https://bi.org/en/articles/bi-men-are-not-considered-attractive-new-study-says

Now think about it, if a solid majority of women would not date a bisexual man, what percentage do you think would date a pansexual man, or a gender fluid man? I think we can safely say that number is likely much, much lower. People tend to want clarity in relationships. Long term relationships are difficult to begin with as one has to consider the wants and needs of another person. This is why people, right or wrong, tend to want simplicity in relationships. If you throw in something like gender fluid or pansexuality into a relationship, the emotional complexities of that relationship seemingly grow exponentially, which likely is why they are considered "less attractive", for relationships. I would suspect one could find studies where this was the case in same sex relationships as well. Ask many gay men to describe their perfect man, and likely he will be the stereotypical "perfect man". Ask most women to describe their perfect man, and he will likely be a handsome man's man that treats them as equals and contributes equally around the house and in the raising of their children. Ask most men to describe their perfect woman, and while she might be petite or really curvy, she will be feminine in either case.

My point is that regardless of what one thinks of such high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ, it will likely lead to a lot of challenges for many of them in forming long term romantic relationships.

I am curious what others think, and please do not turn this into an LGBTQ bash thread. That is not my intention at all.

This seems very high to me. None of us know what it is like to be someone else, so when someone identifies somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, we should accept it. However, when you have a generation that identifies as LGBTQ at this high of a rate, that just seems really high and you have to think that some of it may be more social trend than actual sexual and/or gender identification.

I don't think such high rates of LGBTQ identification serves Generation Z well in terms of dating and relationships. This is evidenced by the fact that they both have sex less than other generations and are less apt to be in relationships than other generations. https://www.gq.com/story/gen-z-puriteens

What follows is my personal opinion, but I think its backed pretty well by real world experience and some studies: There is a percentage of the population that is willing to enter serious relationships with someone that is bisexual, pansexual, polysexual and so on, however, it is not anywhere near 40% of the population and I very much doubt it is even 40% of the Gen Z population. As the vast majority of people instinctively want romantic relationships, this is a societal problem.

For example, a majority of women would not consider dating a bisexual man and even bisexual women are less attracted to bisexual men: https://bi.org/en/articles/bi-men-are-not-considered-attractive-new-study-says

Now think about it, if a solid majority of women would not date a bisexual man, what percentage do you think would date a pansexual man, or a gender fluid man? I think we can safely say that number is likely much, much lower. People tend to want clarity in relationships. Long term relationships are difficult to begin with as one has to consider the wants and needs of another person. This is why people, right or wrong, tend to want simplicity in relationships. If you throw in something like gender fluid or pansexuality into a relationship, the emotional complexities of that relationship seemingly grow exponentially, which likely is why they are considered "less attractive", for relationships. I would suspect one could find studies where this was the case in same sex relationships as well. Ask many gay men to describe their perfect man, and likely he will be the stereotypical "perfect man". Ask most women to describe their perfect man, and he will likely be a handsome man's man that treats them as equals and contributes equally around the house and in the raising of their children. Ask most men to describe their perfect woman, and while she might be petite or really curvy, she will be feminine in either case.

My point is that regardless of what one thinks of such high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ, it will likely lead to a lot of challenges for many of them in forming long term romantic relationships.

I am curious what others think, and please do not turn this into an LGBTQ bash thread. That is not my intention at all.
Most polls show a much lower rate.

Most polls show a much lower rate.

1 in 5 is still very high and much higher than the historical rate. Having raised 3 kids in this generation and having been involved in their school events and so on, 30 to 40% sounds about right.

Barna produced the 124-page study in conjunction with the Cultural Research Center at Arizona Christian University and Foundations of Freedom, a non-profit entity that promotes traditional American values.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest an agenda is being pushed here.

Oh well?

From what I see of that generation, they tend to do things differently than Gen X and Millenials. So who knows how their future plays out.

Millennials are already getting married and buying houses later and at lower rates than prior generations.

Perhaps Gen Z simply will come in even lower than Millenials do.

Nothing anyone can do about it - they're going to live their lives as they see fit. They're growing up and striking out on their own in a different world than I did as Gen X and a different world than even Millenials did.

1 in 5 is still very high and much higher than the historical rate. Having raised 3 kids in this generation and having been involved in their school events and so on, 30 to 40% sounds about right.
Your anecdotal experience aside, 1 in 5 is 20%. But, I'm thinking the more societies stigmas concerning homosexuality lessen, the more folks are going to feel comfortable admitting it. But, who knows, maybe 40% is shorting the actual numbers.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest an agenda is being pushed here.
I am no fan of most religious organizations, but BARNA has historically been an accurate research firm.

Your anecdotal experience aside, 1 in 5 is 20%. But, I'm thinking the more societies stigmas concerning homosexuality lessen, the more folks are going to feel comfortable admitting it. But, who knows, maybe 40% is shorting the actual numbers.
LGBTQ includes a lot more than just homosexuality. If you have higher numbers identifying as gay, that really isn't an issue in terms or relationship formation as gay people date other gay people. I think it's more of an issue for those identifying as the B and Q parts of LGBTQ.

The poll question was:

"Thinking about your commitments, would you describe yourself as ...."

"Searching for purpose in your life,"
"Believe all religious faiths are of equal value."
"An American patriot"
"Often feel anxious, depressed or unsafe"
"Deeply committed to practicing your faith."
"LGBTQ"

It's a bad question. I don't even know what the question wants. Based on my 'commitments' I'm searching for a purpose? I would describe myself as, "believe all religious faiths are of equal value? Those responses don't make any sense. Thinking about my commitments" would I describe myself as LGBT? Are they asking if I am LGBT or that one of my commitments is to LGBT persons?

Garbage in, garbage out.

The poll question was:

"Thinking about your commitments, would you describe yourself as ...."

"Searching for purpose in your life,"
"Believe all religious faiths are of equal value."
"An American patriot"
"Often feel anxious, depressed or unsafe"
"Deeply committed to practicing your faith."
"LGBTQ"

It's a bad question. I don't even know what the question wants. Based on my 'commitments' I'm searching for a purpose? I would describe myself as, "believe all religious faiths are of equal value? Those responses don't make any sense. Thinking about my commitments" would I describe myself as LGBT? Are they asking if I am LGBT or that one of my commitments is to LGBT persons?

Garbage in, garbage out.
Even if its closer to 20% for Gen Z, which is what many other polls have found, that is much, much higher than the historical norm and my point about relationship formation still stands.

There has always been what we call LGBTQ+ since the dawn of time. Freedom to express who you are without prosecution gives us awareness. What changed is we started allowing freedom of expression, and to be who you feel you are without persecution. I guess we regret that, looking at the new legislation in some states that will once again, shove anyone they don't like into a closet and throw away the key.

Even if its closer to 20% for Gen Z, which is what many other polls have found, that is much, much higher than the historical norm and my point about relationship formation still stands.
Perhaps, but you posted this poll and it's not believable because the question appears almost deliberately open to various responses that have nothing to do with actual sexual preference. The write up and quotes by the survey org. support the view that what they got was more an indication of support, not sexual preference. That young people are associated with LGBTQ people and support them, but might not necessarily be LGBTQ.

My brother is gay, so based on my commitments to him and his friends who I've known for decades, what? I would not describe myself as gay, but based on my 'commitments', ????? One of my commitments is for that community to enjoy the same rights and privileges as the rest of us. So if I describe my "commitments" then I'd include LGBT.

Last edited:
There has always been what we call LGBTQ+ since the dawn of time. Freedom to express who you are without prosecution gives us awareness. What changed is we started allowing freedom of expression, and to be who you feel you are. I guess we regret that, looking at the new legislation in some states that will once again, shove anyone they don't like into a closet and throw away the key.
I agree with this, I think the question is, how much of the high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ (most of them identify as Q), is just people being who they are, vs trendy.

SO...either a mysterious LGBTQ asteroid dropped magical dust that landed primarily in the US and has caused in the span of about 4 years an outbreak of disease...or the commie rat Marxists have managed to pollute the education system top down enough to convince plenty of vulnerable or stupid people that they don't know something as basic as what gender they are.

I really feel bad for the future generations. They are so ****ed.

Numbers typically get skewed by "bisexuals" or "queer" people that want to identify with the LGBT demographic yet never date, have attraction, or have true romantic connections with the same sex. In 2022 it's "cool" to not be white and be something other than heterosexual, my suspicion is people lie to be part of the LGBT community largely due to white fragility and a need/want to feel like a minority of some kind.

I have as little faith in polls as i do in religion. That is none at all.

is 20% really a believable number? sounds like a social trend to me. society can't reproduce itself if 20% of people are actually gay, and multiple generations have succeeded in doing so until now. so yes, we should ask what's going on here.

I agree with this, I think the question is, how much of the high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ (most of them identify as Q), is just people being who they are, vs trendy.

The kids I know, it seems to be "trendy".

But I don't know, they are just kids who look things up on the internet to self diagnose. They think they know it all these days and need to get off my lawn.

is 20% really a believable number? sounds like a social trend to me. society can't reproduce itself if 20% of people are actually gay, and multiple generations have succeeded in doing so until now. so yes, we should ask what's going on here.
LGBTQ includes far more than just gay people, and gay people are capable of reproduction.

Who owns Newsweek again?

Oh, yeah.

Numbers typically get skewed by "bisexuals" or "queer" people that want to identify with the LGBT demographic yet never date, have attraction, or have true romantic connections with the same sex. In 2022 it's "cool" to not be white and be something other than heterosexual, my suspicion is people lie to be part of the LGBT community largely due to white fragility and a need/want to feel like a minority of some kind.
I actually think there could be some truth in this, though increased LGBTQ identification is across races and ethnicities. My point was, that a huge jump in self identification of Bs and Qs, is going to cause issues with romantic relationship formation.

Who owns Newsweek again?

Oh, yeah.
I didn't just quote Newsweek. Even if you cast aside their number, other studies/polls put it at 20% or more for Gen Z, which is much higher than previous generations.

I actually think there could be some truth in this, though increased LGBTQ identification is across races and ethnicities. My point was, that a huge jump in self identification of Bs and Qs, is going to cause issues with romantic relationship formation.
this already happens. my generation is ****ed because of it, and Gen Z has it worse

Back
Top Bottom