• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 250 female inmates sterilized in California prisons without state approval

Prison comes with loosing a lot of your rights and liberties. One of last liberties a jailed man or woman has the right to decide no matter who or what is their right to refuse operations on their bodies. Liberties might be few and far between, or at least that is how some people see it ;) the consent to operations is one that cannot be tampered with.

Now if the operation is tied into someone's criminal behavior than I might entertain thinking about pressuring people into having operations by giving them lower sentences or even releasing them from jail. But then it should be a person who can have an operation to stop them behaving violent or to stop them from raping/molesting than yes, we might think about putting pressure on someone to have such an operation with benefits for the prisoner.

Free tube tying procedures should be offered in the free world to stop people from having child after child. Free or greatly reduced birth control pills should be made available for women. Do implants with men and women to prevent them for having kids, make those procedures free of charge.

But forcing women to undergo procedures without freedom to refuse consent (or punish them for not consenting) is several steps too far IMHO.

After reading the article, I have to say that OP was being a little dramatic. Only one woman claims that it was pressed upon her against her will, and that will more than likely lead to a lawsuit. The rest are just an issue of whether or not it was authorized by the STATE. In general, I'm for free birth control, including voluntary sterilization. But, I can never, NEVER, condone forced operations on people. In my book, that is a dozen steps past wrong. Inmates do give up some of their liberties, as is required by law, but basic human rights are inalienable. I definitely consider the right to object to medical operations to be a basic human right.

Fiddytree said:
I don't see the need to attack human dignity because it involves taxpayer funds.
why should someone who lacks dignity, be treated as if they do?

Fiddytree said:
You can argue about the disbursement of funds and the duration of such, which we would of course disagree on, but there is no excuse for this.
What would you use as a deterrent?

Fiddytree said:
I am shocked that I continually see libertarians, who are ordinarily so concerned about the tyranny of the government infringing upon our civil liberties, argue in favor of the one of the most egregious acts of human rights violations possible...just because it involves getting money from taxpayers.
Well I am a tax payer. We are placing enormous debt on our children. Myself, I want to see this deficit spending eliminated, and pay down the debt, so this nation isn't bankrupt and in chaos for my children.

It's the "entitlement attitude" of voters as to why we have the government we have.

Do you think libertarians are only against government? you would be wrong. One of the primary things I see as libertarian is understanding that to have individual rights, we must be responsible with them. people who cannot be responsible should lose those rights. The only time you will see libertarians want the government to step in, is to protect us from each other. Some of us agree that the government is also good for large infrastructure projects, and roles limited by the constitution.

We are a wealth nation, but that is changing. We have more people who rather than working and helping to build this nation, are sucking the government teat instead. I'm OK with using our national wealth to support the handicapped and elderly. I'm OK with systems of insurance like unemployment, and other short term programs when bad things happen to productive people. I am not OK with able bodied people abusing the social handouts of this nation, and making a hammock out of the safety nets. We have too much of this happening. I am not OK with irresponsible behavior going unchecked, when it affects society.

have a better solution? What is it?

Nearly 250 female inmates sterilized in California prisons without state approval - NY Daily News

Seriously......

Forcing inmates to be sterilized... is this Nazi Germany or 1930s US? Nope.. that was 2 years ago... wtf!?

Without state approval? Of course there was state approval. The doctors work for the state.

California was a big hotbed of eugenics back in the 1930s, too. Nazi Germany learned about state enforcement of eugenics laws from the example California gave them, and I'm not making that up:

Eugenics and the Nazis -- the California connection - SFGate

Back
Top Bottom