• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A North Dakota farmer who discovered an oil spill the size of seven football fields while out harvesting wheat says that when he found it, crude was bubbling up out of the ground.
Farmer Steve Jensen says he smelled the crude for days before the tires on his combines were coated in it. At the apparent break in the Tesoro Corp.'s underground pipeline, the oil was "spewing and bubbling 6 inches high," he said in a telephone interview Thursday.
What Jensen had found on Sept. 29 turned out it was one of the largest spills recorded in the state. At 20,600 barrels it was four times the size of a pipeline rupture in late March that forced the evacuation of more than 20 homes in Arkansas.

How many oil pipelines are running through America?

Or under it?

And people really wanted one to run from Canada to the Gulf Of Mexico?

The answer isn't to stop economic development, the answer seems to be some stricter safety laws. I know next to nothing about oil pipelines but shouldnt the loss of 20,600 barrels result in some kind of loss of pressure which would be detectable?

As I understand it, it is not a matter of if a pipeline will break but when. It is just like any other kind of plumbing. It will eventually break down, especially if it was not done right to begin with.

I'm not concerned with running a pipeline. They should just be required to pay for damages as they come up. In fact, a percentage of the oil that is going through the pipeline should be designated specifically for paying for whatever damage is caused by the pipeline.

The answer isn't to stop economic development, the answer seems to be some stricter safety laws. I know next to nothing about oil pipelines but shouldnt the loss of 20,600 barrels result in some kind of loss of pressure which would be detectable?

Kinda makes one wonder how many other leaks there are that have not been detected yet.

North Dakota is a beautiful state that has profited greatly from oil drilling. They now have higher crime rate and drug usage as a result. This is just one more fruit from that black gold they love so much.

As I understand it, it is not a matter of if a pipeline will break but when. It is just like any other kind of plumbing. It will eventually break down, especially if it was not done right to begin with.

I'm not concerned with running a pipeline. They should just be required to pay for damages as they come up. In fact, a percentage of the oil that is going through the pipeline should be designated specifically for paying for whatever damage is caused by the pipeline.

The pipeline company IS responsible financially for any harm done. It already exists.

The problem is the age and maintenance of the pipelines.

We need more pipelines so we can decommission older less technologically advanced pipelines. Right now, the moratorium on pipeline building is actually adding to the danger posed by the older pipelines.

Non-new flash: Big Oil Wins and Will Win Again, Citizens ****ed Over.

North Dakota is a beautiful state that has profited greatly from oil drilling. They now have higher crime rate and drug usage as a result. This is just one more fruit from that black gold they love so much.

Hatuey, I have a question. And I do not mean this in a derogatory way.

When I read you statement above, it seemed to be juxtaposed to the normal position of those that are Very Liberal as your "Lean" states you are. In your statement, it sounds like you're blaming higher profits and increased jobs on higher crime and drug use, where I normally hear that poverty and lack of jobs are the reason for crime and drug use.

The question is: Am I wrong in my reading, or did I read it correctly?

The pipeline company IS responsible financially for any harm done. It already exists.

We need more pipelines so we can decommission older less technologically advanced pipelines. Right now, the moratorium on pipeline building is actually adding to the danger posed by the older pipelines.

If true, that would probably be a much better way for these companies to market the idea of building new pipelines.

When I read you statement above, it seemed to be juxtaposed to the normal position of those that are Very Liberal as your "Lean" states you are. In your statement, it sounds like you're blaming higher profits and increased jobs on higher crime and drug use, where I normally hear that poverty and lack of jobs are the reason for crime and drug use.

High influxes of people to one region are as big a problem as lack of jobs in another. For example, in the 50s, New York's growing job market attracted millions of people. By the 70s it had also attracted drug dealing ventures. By the early 80s, drug dealers were being home grown. Today, drug dealing is still profitable in low income areas because new jobs have drastically been reduced. This is what is happening in North Dakota. I'd wager that in 30 years, and as long as the oil keeps flowing, it will become a big oil/drug state. When the oil stops flowing, it'll simply be a drug state.

If true, that would probably be a much better way for these companies to market the idea of building new pipelines.

They try. Most companies that own the pipelines, are not the Big Oil companies. New pipelines would cost Big Oil more money. Their costs would go up in what they pay to the pipeline company. So... Big Oil fights new pipelines, and they get their political buddies, in both parties (Obama as well), to slow it down or kill them.

High influxes of people to one region are as big a problem as lack of jobs in another. For example, in the 50s, New York's growing job market attracted millions of people. By the 70s it had also attracted drug dealing ventures. By the early 80s, drug dealers were being home grown. Today, drug dealing is still profitable in low income areas because new jobs have drastically been reduced. This is what is happening in North Dakota. I'd wager that in 30 years, and as long as the oil keeps flowing, it will become a big oil/drug state. When the oil stops flowing, it'll simply be a drug state.

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks for responding.

Or under it?

Accidents happen all the time with technology. How many car accidents do we have each year? Should we ban cars? No, we should hold people responsible for the cleanup, damages, and repair.

I love the liberal reaction: "This must be happening everywhere! I bet I'm walking in it right now and don't know it!" Come on. It happens once and it is news because it is so rare.

Here is a wiki that describes a pipeline 'leak' in a river in our area.
Enbridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As I understand it one monitors the amount of 'oil' that goes through one station and it should be the amount that reaches the next. My understanding, which is not accurately listed in Wiki is that the line burst. The line actually split over a short period of time, I recall that it was a few days. It was allowed to 'leak' for some time. They are still cleaning it up. It will never be really cleaned up, but the river will take the remaining oil to the lake, so no problem.

I love the liberal reaction: "This must be happening everywhere! I bet I'm walking in it right now and don't know it!" Come on. It happens once and it is news because it is so rare.

It's weird that you'd put in quotations a statement nobody has made.

It's weird that you'd put in quotations a statement nobody has made.

No. He's illustrating a hypothetical summarization statement of Liberal reaction and it is therefore properly in quotation marks.

It's the usual Libbos fear mongering.

"Be afraid! Be very afraid! The evil oil companies are gonna gitcha!!!"

Just another excuse for more government control of the private sector.

Or under it?

Sounds like Jed Clampett to me.

"Wanna tell you all a story 'bout a man named Jed - poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed - then one day while shootin' at some food - up from the ground came a bubbling crude - oil that is, black gold, Texas tea!

Seriously, though, you are aware I hope that transporting oil, natural gas, etc. by pipeline is far safer and cleaner than transporting it by rail, truck or tanker. There is no such thing as totally clean exploitation of energy sources - that includes so called green energy too.

So this moratorum disallows companies to upgrade their pipelines?

Just another excuse for more government control of the private sector.

Right. Now that we've found a giant oil leak what we need is less regulation of the oil industry. That makes total sense.

Right. Now that we've found a giant oil leak what we need is less regulation of the oil industry. That makes total sense.

Are you saying there aren't enough regulations governing pipeline construction? Afterall, as pointed out, this has nothing to do the oil companies.

I guess the big question is, what would you recommend be done to prevent this?

Sooo.. less money?

Back
Top Bottom