• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

North Dakota is a beautiful state that has profited greatly from oil drilling. They now have higher crime rate and drug usage as a result. This is just one more fruit from that black gold they love so much.

Yeah, but if you read the reports, you'll discover that the crime increases are not disproportionate out in oil country. They have made that enormously clear for months. Most of it is as a result of population growth, but there are areas of concern for police. Many North Dakotans were disposed to think the increase of crime was a direct result of the boom and located enormously where the boom was located-because that's where the outsiders live. The reports served as a good reminder that it isn't the outsiders causing all of the problems. North Dakotans like the economic boost, but we don't like change so much. Anything bad that was in someway connected with the boom got focused on the boom. It's just the way we are.

Last edited:
Are you saying there aren't enough regulations governing pipeline construction? Afterall, as pointed out, this has nothing to do the oil companies.

I guess the big question is, what would you recommend be done to prevent this?

Well with all the pipeline failures that have happend over the years... I'd suggest tighter regulations on pipeline health. They have this thing called pipeline pigging... it goes through pipelines and cleans it up. After that you can send cameras through like plumbers do to inspect for weak spots and rust. Have mandatory pigging runs and inspections through mandatory intervals and reporting of the results.

That's at least a start. Because asking a corporation who wants to spend the very least to police themselves isn't working out so well.

The facts don't really support this claim, North Dakota is far below the national average for drug use.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/state_profile_-_north_dakota_0.pdf

I never said they were above the national average. I said crime and drug use was growing. Which it is.

Crime up 7.9 percent last year in North Dakota : Energy News

But, the state's Uniform Crime Report from 2012, which was released on Tuesday, "was not a rosy one," Stenehjem said. Crime increased 7.9 percent in North Dakota in 2012 compared to 2011, and violent crime increased 7.2 percent. A record 243 rapes were reported in the state last year, up from 207 in 2011. The state's 20 murders in 2013 was the highest number for a single year since 22 were reported in 1993.

Well with all the pipeline failures that have happend over the years... I'd suggest tighter regulations on pipeline health. They have this thing called pipeline pigging... it goes through pipelines and cleans it up. After that you can send cameras through like plumbers do to inspect for weak spots and rust. Have mandatory pigging runs and inspections through mandatory intervals and reporting of the results.

That's at least a start. Because asking a corporation who wants to spend the very least to police themselves isn't working out so well.

Maybe they should x-ray the pipe before it's buried? Whatcha think about that? Or how about rust resistant coating on the outside of the pipe?

Still I fail to see a direct link between economic growth and increasing crime, conventional wisdom has that relationship the other way around in most cases.

Libbos hate private sector growth, so they're going find some way to denegrate it.

Maybe they should x-ray the pipe before it's buried? Whatcha think about that? Or how about rust resistant coating on the outside of the pipe?

Still think camera inspections should be a must. There's more than just rust that can detoriorate pipeline health. Earthquakes, even minor ones. Large vehicles running over buried pipe where they aren't supposed to be. All sorts of things.

ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

How many oil pipelines are running through America?

Or under it?

And people really wanted one to run from Canada to the Gulf Of Mexico?
We still want that pipeline.

How many fatal car accidents happen every year and people still want to drive? Same thing. How many people die in war and many still join the military? Same thing. Life carries a level of risk.

Still think camera inspections should be a must. There's more than just rust that can detoriorate pipeline health. Earthquakes, even minor ones. Large vehicles running over buried pipe where they aren't supposed to be. All sorts of things.

Ever think that they already do that?

Sounds more like you're just assuming the worst and don't really know.

Small aircraft fly over the pipelines regularly to inspect and look for spills. A fair number of low time pilots do that job to build time.

Still I fail to see a direct link between economic growth and increasing crime, conventional wisdom has that relationship the other way around in most cases.

Economic growth attracts crime. When the economic growth stops, crime persists. Case in point: Detroit and every other major city today. "Conventional wisdom" isn't a measurable statistic. :shrug:

We still want that pipeline.
I want Keystoned also, reluctantly, and the sooner the better, just to let the enviros get over it so they won't sit out 2014, though enviros don't live there as much as those who want the pipe..and it will take away a Repub TP..
How many fatal car accidents happen every year and people still want to drive? Same thing. How many people die in war and many still join the military? Same thing. Life carries a level of risk.
Federal officials better get their asses to western SD toot sweet.

A potential bonanza of jobs will come from eventual Mandatory Recycling--no more garbage..No garbagepeople will lose their jobs--just that they will have to go higher tech and "someone" will have to coordinate the **** that folks recycle..Let folks do their own recyle, like my hoarding wife..TR would say what should this look like in 100 years?? A question I asked my students for a career.
Economic growth attracts crime. When the economic growth stops, crime persists. Case in point: Detroit and every other major city today. "Conventional wisdom" isn't a measurable statistic. :shrug:

Last edited:
A potential bonanza of jobs will come from eventual Mandatory Recycling--no more garbage..No garbagepeople will lose their jobs--just that they will have to go higher tech and "someone" will have to coordinate the **** that folks recycle..Let folks do their own recyle, like my hoarding wife..TR would say what should this look like in 100 years?? A question I asked my students for a career.

I have no idea what it is you're getting at.

Libbos hate private sector growth, so they're going find some way to denegrate it.

Do you think you contribute to topics? Honestly?

I think the case with Detroit is the economic collapse of the city is what lead to the crime not the economic growth that preceded it. Now I can see what you're saying if you're saying that Detroit's crime comes from its abundance of people with so few jobs and little economic opportunity, and the reason so many people are there is because they came for the jobs and economic growth back when Detroit was booming. But I think it would be more accurate to say that the collapse caused the crime rate to skyrocket, and while you cannot collapse without first growing I think its still a bit misleading to say economic growth causes crime.

Uh OH..
I took off from your words economic growth into the 'imagine life in 100 years' meme of mine..
Great new industries, like hopefully fission>>>fusion, are rare..
Economic growth could come from mandatory recycling, not to mention cleaning the Earth.
I have no idea what it is you're getting at.

Ever think that they already do that?

Sounds more like you're just assuming the worst and don't really know.

No they don't. If it's not regulated they do what they want whenever they feel like it.

Can BP bounce back?
A disastrous leak. A deadly explosion. CEO John Browne must turn his troubled oil giant around, but time is running out.
October 31 2006

But the 34-inch pipe has been down since March, when a dime-sized hole caused by corrosion sent nearly 5,000 barrels of crude spilling out across the snow. The oil has been cleaned up, leaving behind a bare two-acre patch of ground, but the leak - and the subsequent discovery that six miles of BP (Charts) pipeline was badly corroded - led not only to the shutdown of much of Prudhoe Bay and the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars but also to a PR disaster that, in a single blow, undid the green reputation CEO John Browne had meticulously crafted for BP over the past decade.

Since the March leak and the subsequent shutdown this summer, much of the controversy has focused on a practice called pigging - sending a device known as a pig through the pipe (old oilfield hands say pigs take their name from the squealing noise they make going down the line) to clean it as well as monitor it for corrosion, cracks, sediment deposits, and other threats that might lead to a leak. Practices vary, but everyone now agrees the low-velocity transit lines that failed should have been pigged more often. On the west side of Prudhoe Bay, they were last cleaned and checked in 1998, while on the eastern side of the field, the last pig was run in 1991. The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, by contrast, is pigged every 14 days.​

They don't police themselves. Sounds like you have nothing but blind trust in corporations where that trust doesn't belong and damn sure was never earned.

Do you think you contribute to topics? Honestly?

I think the case with Detroit is the economic collapse of the city is what lead to the crime not the economic growth that preceded it. Now I can see what you're saying if you're saying that Detroit's crime comes from its abundance of people with so few jobs and little economic opportunity, and the reason so many people are there is because they came for the jobs and economic growth back when Detroit was booming. But I think it would be more accurate to say that the collapse caused the crime rate to skyrocket, and while you cannot collapse without first growing I think its still a bit misleading to say economic growth causes crime.

Does North Dakota's crime rate and it's relation, or lack there of, to the economic boom contribute to the topic of the thread? Honestly?

No they don't. If it's not regulated they do what they want whenever they feel like it.

Can BP bounce back?
A disastrous leak. A deadly explosion. CEO John Browne must turn his troubled oil giant around, but time is running out.
October 31 2006

Since the March leak and the subsequent shutdown this summer, much of the controversy has focused on a practice called pigging - sending a device known as a pig through the pipe (old oilfield hands say pigs take their name from the squealing noise they make going down the line) to clean it as well as monitor it for corrosion, cracks, sediment deposits, and other threats that might lead to a leak. Practices vary, but everyone now agrees the low-velocity transit lines that failed should have been pigged more often. On the west side of Prudhoe Bay, they were last cleaned and checked in 1998, while on the eastern side of the field, the last pig was run in 1991. The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, by contrast, is pigged every 14 days.​

They don't police themselves. Sounds like you have nothing but blind trust in corporations where that trust doesn't belong and damn sure was never earned.

The technology wouldn't exist, if no one used it. Think about the nonsense that you're spewing.

The error in your school of thought, is that you don't realize that these leaks are very bad for business. They cost money in lost time and wasted product; not to mention the bad PR that comes along with it. It's asinine to insist that none of these companies do any preventative maintenance.

There are companies that exist for the soul purpose of doing preventative maintenance on pipelines.

This is one of them, based in Louisiana that I've worked with in the past.

Cetco Energy Services > Solutions and Services > Service Lines > Pipeline

Your suspension of common sense doesn't equate to the dire need for more government regulation. Not to mention, I can't understand how anyone could put more trust in the government, seeing how they conduct their own business. IOW, how well has the government policed itself in the past???

The technology wouldn't exist, if no one used it. Think about the nonsense that you're spewing.

The error in your school of thought, is that you don't realize that these leaks are very bad for business. They cost money in lost time and wasted product; not to mention the bad PR that comes along with it. It's asinine to insist that none of these companies do any preventative maintenance.

There are companies that exist for the soul purpose of doing preventative maintenance on pipelines.

This is one of them, based in Louisiana that I've worked with in the past.

Cetco Energy Services > Solutions and Services > Service Lines > Pipeline

Your suspension of common sense doesn't equate to the dire need for more government regulation. Not to mention, I can't understand how anyone could put more trust in the government, seeing how they conduct their own business. IOW, how well has the government policed itself in the past???

Which is why there are so many government watchdog orgs out there. And being that it is the government, we the voter are the police of it. Not much you can do about a corporation where it's one share one vote rather than one man one vote and the execs get paid in stock options raising their voting percentages of influence in the company.

Your post sure seemed to dismiss the very article I pasted showing that they don't give a damn about their pipeline health until it's too late. So don't know how you are surmising that they care sooooo much that they will police themselves.

Which is why there are so many government watchdog orgs out there. And being that it is the government, we the voter are the police of it. Not much you can do about a corporation where it's one share one vote rather than one man one vote and the execs get paid in stock options raising their voting percentages of influence in the company.

Bureaucrats are chosen via referendum? Lois Lerner was elected?

Your post sure seemed to dismiss the very article I pasted showing that they don't give a damn about their pipeline health until it's too late.

You're obviously throwing common sense aside, ignoring the fact that poor pipeline maintenance cuts into the profit margin. So, it's childish to state that pipeline owners, "don't give a damn about pipeline health until it's too late". It's nothing more than another Leftist, "private sector companies are evil", temper tantrum.

So don't know how you are surmising that they care sooooo much that they will police themselves.

I've proven too you that there are companies whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines, so I don't know what part you can't understand. If the pipeline owners, operators and builders weren't concerned about the integrity of the pipeline, none of the technology used to maintain pipelines would exist. In fact, pipeline maintenance tools and techniques are decades old, as old as pipelines, themselves, as is pointed out in the source you posted previously.

Bureaucrats are chosen via referendum? Lois Lerner was elected?

You're obviously throwing common sense aside, ignoring the fact that poor pipeline maintenance cuts into the profit margin. So, it's childish to state that pipeline owners, "don't give a damn about pipeline health until it's too late". It's nothing more than another Leftist, "private sector companies are evil", temper tantrum.

I've proven too you that there are companies whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines, so I don't know what part you can't understand. If the pipeline owners, operators and builders weren't concerned about the integrity of the pipeline, none of the technology used to maintain pipelines would exist. In fact, pipeline maintenance tools and techniques are decades old, as old as pipelines, themselves, as is pointed out in the source you posted previously.

Wow... now that you put it that way it's clear why there are NEVER any pipeline leaks... EVAR!!!11!!1!!!!

That being said, here's a list of pipeline accidents since the year 2000.

I mean, we have companies "whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines" so these can't possibly be real.

Back
Top Bottom