• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NC Sheriff new security measures - locking up AR's inside school for officers

The first step to solving a problem, is to admit there is one

Clearly you don't.
You have chosen a solution that is not practical. We need to find solutions that are.

Bear spray. Every teacher should have it. Older responsible kids too. They just need some training, they are not sheep, always fight back.
That would make more sense for teachers or school administrators who for the most part have no experience or training in handling firearms.
Plus it would put innocent bystanders in less danger.

Right And your guns laws work too...

and John Lennon is still alive and aliens ate my homework

Locked up?

You really think that's a 100% sure way to ensure that NO ONE but cops gets in there

The Easter Bunny died of cancer and Santa Claus is child molester
So American kids are being educated where high powered assault rifles are kept?

That's a recipe for disaster
If there's a resource officer at a school, there is likely already a high-powered rifle on campus. I am much more confident that a lunatic shooter is not going to crack a safe than if he were so inclined to smash window of a patrol car and access the trunk. But I do love Canadians, you guys are funny.

A very bad idea, bordering on truly stupid.

It would just give the school shooter(s) a bigger arsenal from which to draw upon. Furthermore, it would subject schools to be targets of even more theft, as people try to steal the unguarded firearms. Let those who actually know how to use the appropriate weapon bring them with them. The AR-15 is not always the appropriate weapon. So stocking up on them makes no sense. The police are adequately armed and do not require a stockpile of munitions to be kept at schools. It only requires them to act, and not stand around jerking off for 40 minutes like they did in Texas.
Disagree. No shooter ever is going to a school to look to access a safe for more weapons, he's heading for classrooms. Having an AR-15 in a safe is merely another tool in another location, there is already one in their car (at least in my area). Whichever location they can get to first.

I've been away from this thread a bit but to catch up on these comments you'd think people believe they are going to dangle AR's down every hallway like pinatas. Sheez.

Disagree. No shooter ever is going to a school to look to access a safe for more weapons, he's heading for classrooms. Having an AR-15 in a safe is merely another tool in another location, there is already one in their car (at least in my area). Whichever location they can get to first.

I've been away from this thread a bit but to catch up on these comments you'd think people believe they are going to dangle AR's down every hallway like pinatas. Sheez.
History shows that the teacher needs something always available to use immediately. That takes little training and can incapacitate a novice shooter quickly without collateral fatalities. The shooters have not been sophisticated or trained. I think a teacher would not hesitate to use bear spray where they would hesitate using a firearm. See gun and spray, don't wait for them to shoot.

History shows that the teacher needs something always available to use immediately. That takes little training and can incapacitate a novice shooter quickly without collateral fatalities. The shooters have not been sophisticated or trained. I think a teacher would not hesitate to use bear spray where they would hesitate using a firearm. See gun and spray, don't wait for them to shoot.
Bear spray is no joke. I don't think it's a viable solution in this situation but it is better than nothing I suppose.

Bear spray is no joke. I don't think it's a viable solution in this situation but it is better than nothing I suppose.
Why not? I can't think of anything better that is as practical and could be implemented as quickly. But I would be glad to support something else if there was.

Why not? I can't think of anything better that is as practical and could be implemented as quickly. But I would be glad to support something else if there was.
Bear spray won't incapacitate. Definitely cause a crazy amount of pain but a shooter that enters a school is typically killing indiscriminately so this doesn't remove their ability to fire the weapon. Again, better than nothing.

Bear spray won't incapacitate. Definitely cause a crazy amount of pain but a shooter that enters a school is typically killing indiscriminately so this doesn't remove their ability to fire the weapon. Again, better than nothing.
The blindness and surprise would be the best limiter of people shot before he can be tackled.

A blindingly stupid idea that depends on the already thoroughly debunked fantasy that the solution to a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

Considering that the gun is there for the officer that is stationed at the school, that really is a remarkably stupid statement. So, you are saying cops should not have access to guns?

SO what, should they just have access to a PA system and ask them nicely instead?

Right up there with the old classic: banning rifles because they have pistol grips or adjustable shoulder stocks.

My favorite was the list California came up with about 3 or 4 decades ago. One of the items was actually "bayonet or bayonet lug".

So what were they worried about, people getting shot, or using it as an extremely clumsy spear?

Each school would have one rifle. Are they maintaining an "arsenal"?

Given that a plural implies "two or more", are two guns in one place an "arsenal"?

Are six guns spread across 451 square miles an "arsenal"?
He also said in that quote something about breaching tools, so I wonder if that implies a hardware store.

A very bad idea, bordering on truly stupid.

It would just give the school shooter(s) a bigger arsenal from which to draw upon. Furthermore, it would subject schools to be targets of even more theft, as people try to steal the unguarded firearms. Let those who actually know how to use the appropriate weapon bring them with them. The AR-15 is not always the appropriate weapon. So stocking up on them makes no sense. The police are adequately armed and do not require a stockpile of munitions to be kept at schools. It only requires them to act, and not stand around jerking off for 40 minutes like they did in Texas.
On the above you're right but then on the other hand by the time police get there with their ARs it;s pretty much a done deal and the shooters already entrenched. Arm those teachers that wish it (some probably are anyway) and all they really need do is guard the door and be alert.

History shows that the teacher needs something always available to use immediately.
A concealed weapon.
That takes little training and can incapacitate a novice shooter quickly
That's why they have advanced classes on the subject. CCW
without collateral fatalities.
Students to one side face down on the floor. They would be covering their class not running up and down the halls.
The shooters have not been sophisticated or trained. I think a teacher would not hesitate to use bear spray where they would hesitate using a firearm. See gun and spray, don't wait for them to shoot.
See gun and shoot with gun. You're taught not to hesitate, you hesitate you're dead or others.

That's just it better than nothing. Now 9 year old Susie gets bear sprayed in the face because teacher was waving it around dialing in. Watch mama bear try and sue the school district.

That's just it better than nothing. Now 9 year old Susie gets bear sprayed in the face because teacher was waving it around dialing in. Watch mama bear try and sue the school district.
Not nearly the tragedy if the teacher had shot her. Even very well trained people freeze up or make fatal mistakes when under extreme pressure and using deadly force. They are teachers and will try to talk down a kid with a gun before shooting them until it is too late. Bear spray will make the decision much easier and faster.

Last edited:
On the above you're right but then on the other hand by the time police get there with their ARs it;s pretty much a done deal and the shooters already entrenched. Arm those teachers that wish it (some probably are anyway) and all they really need do is guard the door and be alert.
That is always going to be the case. As the adage goes, "when seconds count, the police are just minutes away." That is not an excuse to stockpile weapons or ammunition. Since only the police would supposedly have access to this arsenal, it is doubly stupid because it would be completely useless until the already armed police arrive. More importantly, why would it be necessary? Teachers wouldn't have access, only the police - who are not there - would have access. So it would be a complete waste of both time and money.

If you want to make schools safe again, eliminate the "Gun Free Zone" stupidity that Democrats created in order to get as many children killed as possible and keep the crazy shooters guessing as to whether teachers, or someone else in the school, may be armed and ready to take them out if they should try anything stupid.

In Alaska both students and teachers may be armed. There is no law mandating teachers be armed, but there is also no law prohibiting teachers from being armed. Which means that you will never know whether a teacher in Alaska is armed or not. Anchorage high schools have indoor gun ranges, so students bring their firearms to school all the time. If a crazy thinks they may be shot during the commission of their crime, they are going to choose an easier target.

Bear spray is a joke, particularly for bears. Bear spray has never once stopped an aggressive bear, and it never will. Which makes it a useful tool for morons with a death wish.

Bear spray is a joke, particularly for bears. Bear spray has never once stopped an aggressive bear, and it never will. Which makes it a useful tool for morons with a death wish.
In this case, there are no bears inside classrooms in the lower 48. I personally would never use it where you live but inside an enclosed space it would certainly have an effect on a human. As I stated earlier, it would be better than nothing, but a firearm is still the best option when confronting a shooter.

Not nearly the tragedy if the teacher had shot her. Even very well trained people freeze up or make fatal mistakes when under extreme pressure and using deadly force. They are teachers and will try to talk down a kid with a gun before shooting them until it is too late. Bear spray will make the decision much easier and faster.
When some dumb kid walks in with a firearm and starts yelling and shooting it's already to late for any talking down. Why would bear spray make it a easy fast solution. Do you say to some already unstable kid "know that I've fried your eyeballs would you please drop your weapon? Know you probably got a unstable kid that's pissed.

But to the first part of your reply, cops are supposed to be will trained as are a lot of military personnel, but does that mean we should arm them with BS because that's what it is BS.

When some dumb kid walks in with a firearm and starts yelling and shooting it's already to late for any talking down. Why would bear spray make it a easy fast solution. Do you say to some already unstable kid "know that I've fried your eyeballs would you please drop your weapon? Know you probably got a unstable kid that's pissed.

But to the first part of your reply, cops are supposed to be will trained as are a lot of military personnel, but does that mean we should arm them with BS because that's what it is BS.
I don't think that is how it usually goes. It is not about the kid with the gun, it is about the teacher taking immediate action. And teachers are not trained military or police.

Back
Top Bottom