• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NC Sheriff new security measures - locking up AR's inside school for officers

The common factor is the AR-15.
Most school shootings are committed with handguns, and those guns are in the control of gang members, for the most part.

These rifles are under the control of the police, who will have to access them from an locked safe.

In any case, I'm sure that a sheriff in North Carolina couldn't give a rat's ass what some British expat in Georgia feels.

So a shooter comes into a school and they tell him, 'Oh wait just a second before you start firing while we run to the gun safe and get our ARs.'
Not much of a solution.

So a shooter comes into a school and they tell him, 'Oh wait just a second before you start firing while we run to the gun safe and get our ARs.'
Not much of a solution.

Is that the typical scenario?

When schools in one North Carolina county reopen later this month, new security measures will include stocking AR-15 rifles for school resource officers to use in the event of an active shooter.

Sheriff Harwood said the safes where the AR-15s will be kept will also hold ammunition and breaching tools for barricaded doors.

“We’ll have those tools to be able to breach that door if needed. I do not want to have to run back out to the car to grab an AR, because that’s time lost. Hopefully we’ll never need it, but I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be,” he said.

I like this idea. This is just another resource for an officer to get to if they find themselves inside the school as an incident occurs.
A very bad idea, bordering on truly stupid.

It would just give the school shooter(s) a bigger arsenal from which to draw upon. Furthermore, it would subject schools to be targets of even more theft, as people try to steal the unguarded firearms. Let those who actually know how to use the appropriate weapon bring them with them. The AR-15 is not always the appropriate weapon. So stocking up on them makes no sense. The police are adequately armed and do not require a stockpile of munitions to be kept at schools. It only requires them to act, and not stand around jerking off for 40 minutes like they did in Texas.

Not much of a solution.
As opposed to the shooter coming in and everyone saying

hey hold off a while we get the officers from around the city to come here and get their weapons out and enter the school. Would you like some cookies and chocolate milk while you wait, unfortunately the ChocoTacco is off the menu. Thanks your cooperation you can start shooting in just a few more minutes.

A very bad idea, bordering on truly stupid.

It would just give the school shooter(s) a bigger arsenal from which to draw upon. Let those who actually know how to use the appropriate weapon bring them with them. The AR-15 is not always the appropriate weapon. So stocking up on them makes no sense. The police are adequately armed and do not require a stockpile of munitions to be kept at schools.

I myself don't know it's a particularly useful idea. A single gun or even two, resting in a gun safe doesn't constitute an arsenal, though.

Is your hyperbole your impression of a gun control zealot?

I myself don't know it's a particularly useful idea. A single gun or even two, resting in a gun safe doesn't constitute an arsenal, though.

I would agree that is not an arsenal in any reasonable interpretation of the definition. however if you look up the definition and do some creative splicing of interpretations it is possible to come away with any place weapons are stored is an arsenal. So with that watered down definition that would make a kitchen knife drawer technically an arsenal this school safe would also qualify.

Not much of a solution.
Bear spray. Every teacher should have it. Older responsible kids too. They just need some training, they are not sheep, always fight back.

Most school shootings are committed with handguns, and those guns are in the control of gang members, for the most part.

These rifles are under the control of the police, who will have to access them from an locked safe.

In any case, I'm sure that a sheriff in North Carolina couldn't give a rat's ass what some British expat in Georgia feels.
Why would they need them? They already have the AR-15s, and even better sniper rifles, like the M24. However, most of the time they are going to be indoors, where rifles are a handicap. So they are more likely to use their sidearm in such situations. In either case, the police will already have all the weapons they require, they would have no need to stockpile ordinance in schools.

Bear spray. Every teacher should have it. Older responsible kids too. They just need some training, they are not sheep, always fight back.
Give every teacher a taser. Not only could it potentially be used to stop a school shooter, but it could also bring order to an unruly classroom. ;)

By the way, never use bear spray against an aggressive bear, unless you have a death wish.

One or two guns in a gun safe doesn't sound practical or cost effective either. Why bother? Who were you expecting to use them? The police are already armed, remember?

Give every teacher a taser. Not only could it potentially be used to stop a school shooter, but it could also bring order to an unruly classroom. ;)

By the way, never use bear spray against an aggressive bear, unless you have a death wish.
A taser takes some skill and it is a single shot and expensive. Bear spray gel has class room range and easy to aim because you can correct the spay. And innocents in the way will recover.

Not much of a solution.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Americans understand this, except gun owners when it comes to gun control.

Any practical suggestions?

We do try to prevent some people from possessing guns. It is difficult sometimes to make headway though, when some are doing their best to not enforce the prohibitions.

Nevertheless, I often propose that Criminal Background Checks be required for the possession of guns and motor vehicles. Gun control advocates mainly object to this modest proposal. Sometimes vehemently. What do you make of that?

Back
Top Bottom