• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NC Republicans pass bill so that mail-in ballots that are postmarked by election day don't count

It seems quite realistic to expect election day to occur on election day.
You could probably realistically get around 90-95% of the votes counted by that time. There are always going to be some that are not machine readable, come in from the military, etc.

That's the way it should be.

In Colorado, the post mark doesn't matter. The ballot has to be in possession of the election officials no later than the exact time the polls close. Any that come later than that are rejected.

That's why we didn't have ballot counters counting ballots for up to 10 days after the election. That's why there weren't any massive ballot dumps that conveniently went to Biden...like some other states had.
Colorado allows military and overseas ballots up to eight (8) days after Election Day.

You could probably realistically get around 90-95% of the votes counted by that time. There are always going to be some that are not machine readable, come in from the military, etc.

Election Day is Election Day. That should be the cutoff for receiving votes.
Counting those votes though is a different issue and it makes sense that might take longer.

Why should it be that way? You realize that for most of the US’s history, it took weeks to count the votes and determine who the president-elect was, right?
We've gotten a bit quicker than pre-telegraph days.

Colorado allows military and overseas ballots up to eight (8) days after Election Day.
You'll never see a massive ballot dump of military and overseas ballots in Colorado. There just aren't that many of them.

I agree with Mycroft, that's the way it should be. Every state should be able to start (and hopefully finish) ballot counting on election night. It should be well advertised what the procedure is. Those who elect to fill out a ballot on election day (at home) can certainly comprehend that ballot needs to be dropped off at a location available for ballot acceptance prior to the close of election day hours.
It shouldn’t matter when the counting finishes.

You'll never see a massive ballot dump of military and overseas ballots in Colorado. There just aren't that many of them.
Regardless, Colorado is still counting ballots up to eight days after the election...

Regardless, Colorado is still counting ballots up to eight days after the election...

No-- they are still receiving ballots ie people are still voting up to eight days after election day.

And as we have seen before, you can't win the wrong way either! Republicans are going to see all their efforts backfire immediately.
I agree. I think there will be a huge backfire on the Republicans over this. Democrats are going to organize the vote and come out in droves. I especially think this will impact State elections. Look for States like GA to elect a Democratic Governor as well as make gains in their legislatures.

No-- they are still receiving ballots ie people are still voting up to eight days after election day.

The ballots must be postmarked by 7pm Mountain Time on election day.

Q16. What is the deadline for returning my voted ballot?

A16. All military or overseas voters must vote and send their ballots back by 7:00 PM Mountain Time on Election Day.

The county elections office must receive mailed ballots no later than the close of business on the 8th day after Election Day. If you are returning your ballot electronically, then your county clerk must receive it no later than 7:00 PM Mountain Time on Election Day.

I see nothing objectionable about this. But go ahead and explain why you think this is Jim Crow Part Three MILLION!
I said nothing about Jim-Crow. Interesting you brought that up though.

The problem is delays in the mail. If you vote on time, but your ballot is late arriving to the County Board of Elections office, there is no reason they should toss out your ballot because that is saying, "You did not vote," despite the proof you voted. How can we be very confident in our election system if legitimate votes are regularly tossed out only because of mailing delays? This is why states require ballots to be postmarked no later than Election Day.
It's just not hard. I would bet every state, even those who do all or primarily mail voting, would have official drop off locations and get ballots mailed out with PLENTY of time to get them in the mail. But, for those who procrastinated, they know the procedure and if time is getting short, they recognize they need to drop it off instead of mail it in. IT'S JUST NOT HARD. Anyone who wants to vote and cares at all about voting can and does easily get it done. I bet you can't demonstrate a single state where voting isn't easy and includes multiple days and options. I think it makes very good sense to require ballots to have arrived by the close of election day. I also bet voting procedures and reminders (including you're running out of time reminders) are VERY WIDELY publicized in every single state.

I agree with Mycroft, that's the way it should be. Every state should be able to start (and hopefully finish) ballot counting on election night. It should be well advertised what the procedure is. Those who elect to fill out a ballot on election day (at home) can certainly comprehend that ballot needs to be dropped off at a location available for ballot acceptance prior to the close of election day hours.

States don’t finish counting on election night. It has never worked that way.

Of course, but I am sure not everyone able and willing to do that. I can only control my own votes.
If someone isn't willing to follow their state's procedures, that's not your problem or the state's problem. Of course you can only control your own vote and the same is true of any other voter. Pay any attention at all (it would be impossible to miss voting procedures during elections - they're everywhere), follow the simple procedures and you're done.

States don’t finish counting on election night. It has never worked that way.
If you mandate that states must finish counting on election night, then you can influence which votes are counted by which ones they count first.

First come the day of voting then come in the mail in ballots…See a pattern emerge?

Post marks are good enough for the IRS - so long as the mail is post marked by or on April 15th, all is good.

Military overseas have to use the only options available to them and, yes, their votes must be counted. Every state must accommodate military votes coming from overseas and when elections are close enough where that number is within the number possible to determine outcome, results can't be completed until they arrive.

Post marks are good enough for the IRS - so long as the mail is post marked by or on April 15th, all is good.
Different topic/their (the IRS) procedure. Life is full of processes with different procedures.

Military overseas have to use the only options available to them and, yes, their votes must be counted. Every state must accommodate military votes coming from overseas and when elections are close enough where that number is within the number possible to determine outcome, results can't be completed until they arrive.

Shouldn't we reject those ballots if they arrive after election day?

Different topic/their (the IRS) procedure. Life is full of processes with different procedures.

So, your support for throwing out legitimate votes from citizens is "procedure."

No real reason. Just "I want to do it this way."

It seems quite realistic to expect election day to occur on election day.

No presidential election has ever been decided on election day. It has never worked like this.

Yes, it's unreasonable to expect. Just because you never knew how the process really unfolds doesn't mean the rest of us should have to change the law to accommodate your feelings.

Back
Top Bottom