• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBC's Brokaw compares Trump to Captain Queeg: 'Time for all hands to be on deck'

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...aptain-queeg-time-for-all-hands-to-be-on-deck

Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw compared outgoing Defense Secretary James Mattis to "the captain of a sinking ship" and urged all Americans regardless of "party label" to confront President Trump, whom he compared to Captain Queeg.

Queeg is the fictional unstable skipper of the U.S.S. Caine in Herman Wouk's classic World War II novel, "The Caine Mutiny," released in 1951.
============================================
Somebody check the strawberries.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...aptain-queeg-time-for-all-hands-to-be-on-deck

Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw compared outgoing Defense Secretary James Mattis to "the captain of a sinking ship" and urged all Americans regardless of "party label" to confront President Trump, whom he compared to Captain Queeg.

Queeg is the fictional unstable skipper of the U.S.S. Caine in Herman Wouk's classic World War II novel, "The Caine Mutiny," released in 1951.

Old “Yellow Stain!”

Haven't seen this classic flick in decades. Hope to find it tonight on my tablet either Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

Someone should send DJT a few ball bearings for him to play with, sort of like Muslim Worry Beads (which became the Catholic Rosary).

Of course Captain Queeg wasn't the villain in that film or the novel it was based on. If Trump is indeed the Queeg character according to Brokaw, then he needs to read/watch the whole thing and see where that places the opposition.

There's a reason Brokaw is "former".

Like when he was a "current", he still has no idea what he's talking about.

Who cares? Really who cares? Tom Brokaw despises president Trump and he has from day one. The ship is not sinking. More oh my the sky is falling because people hate president Trump.
Time for the next goofy thread................ :doh

Haven't seen this classic flick in decades. Hope to find it tonight on my tablet either Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

Someone should send DJT a few ball bearings for him to play with, sort of like Muslim Worry Beads (which became the Catholic Rosary).

A great idea... Watch the film and stay off DP for an hour or two. ;)
A nice break for all of us.

Of course Captain Queeg wasn't the villain in that film or the novel it was based on. If Trump is indeed the Queeg character according to Brokaw, then he needs to read/watch the whole thing and see where that places the opposition.

Indeed, Queeg wasn't the villain, but a pitiable, unstable genius. All one has to do to see Trump's Queeg-ness is remember his doctor's letter, apparently dictated by Trump: "his physical strength and stamina are extraordinary," and "If elected, I can state unequivocally that Mr. Trump will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency." This is a seven-year old forging a note from the teacher. "Your son is the most well-behaved boy in school history." The fact that Trump would dictate such sentences is sign of his Queeg-ness. No doctor would write such a thing, I imagine. Trump would. And that's the problem.

Indeed, Queeg wasn't the villain, but a pitiable, unstable genius. All one has to do to see Trump's Queeg-ness is remember his doctor's letter, apparently dictated by Trump: "his physical strength and stamina are extraordinary," and "If elected, I can state unequivocally that Mr. Trump will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency." This is a seven-year old forging a note from the teacher. "Your son is the most well-behaved boy in school history." The fact that Trump would dictate such sentences is sign of his Queeg-ness. No doctor would write such a thing, I imagine. Trump would. And that's the problem.

You imagine no doctor would write such a thing. I don't know if a doctor would write such a thing.

But that's beyond the point- I don't recall anything from the film about Queeg dictating letters to doctors.

So who turned out to be the villain in The Caine Mutiny?

You imagine no doctor would write such a thing. I don't know if a doctor would write such a thing.

But that's beyond the point- I don't recall anything from the film about Queeg dictating letters to doctors.

I meant that what Trump did in dictating the letter is as troubling to me as Queeg's obsessions about strawberries. The final scene if I remember correctly attempts to expose those who caused Queeg's downfall as not really heroes. It is an interesting and appropriate twist for viewers. No real villains. Life is often like that. I helped get rid of a boss like Queeg. Had to be done, but didn't feel great afterwards. Strange as it sounds, though I want his downfall, there is a little bit of tragedy in Trump. I suspect he might be a lonely man.

The Caine would have been lost in the storm with captain Queeg in charge.

Queeg was a tyrant who didn’t give a damn about his mission or his men. Trump is a tyrant (and much more) who routinely sh**s on his own people and doesn’t give a damn about anyone but himself. Brokaw’s comparison was spot on.

They (mutineers) did the right thing; Queeg was delusional. Good thing for the fictional character that there was no Twitter yet!

Get out of here with your literary alternate reality BS.

Queeg certainly was the villian of both the book and the movie, which you either did not read or attend, or did so without comprehension.

You must be thinking of Keefer, the guy who got a drink thrown in his face at the end.

He was not a malicious character.

And after all, now, the court martial agreed with Keefer's original opinion of Queeg as a mental case who deserved to be relieved. Someone as correct as Keefer was on the central point of the story cannot hardly be considered a "villian".

The Caine would have been lost in the storm with captain Queeg in charge.

Not according to the court martial.

At the end of his testimony the expert witness conceded that what Maryk did might have saved the ship. The court martial obviously gave Maryk the benefit of the doubt on this vital point.

I meant that what Trump did in dictating the letter is as troubling to me as Queeg's obsessions about strawberries. The final scene if I remember correctly attempts to expose those who caused Queeg's downfall as not really heroes. It is an interesting and appropriate twist for viewers. No real villains. Life is often like that. I helped get rid of a boss like Queeg. Had to be done, but didn't feel great afterwards. Strange as it sounds, though I want his downfall, there is a little bit of tragedy in Trump. I suspect he might be a lonely man.

Queeg made it plain from the beginning of his command that he was an authoritarian leader. Though not looked at as optimal, that is a legitimate military leadership style. His subordinate officers and the crew were used to a more lax discipline and some of them resented his approach to command from the beginning. It didn't take long before resentment became insubordination and outright undermining of his command. Keefer planted the seed with Maryk of relieving Queeg under Article 184 and pressed the point that his mental illness made him unfit for command- but when Maryk wanted to go through proper channels in seeking Queeg's relief, Keefer backed down. At the court martial, Keefer perjured himself, testifying that he never believed Queeg was unfit and never said he should be relieved. After the court martial, the defense attorney Greenwald says he is ashamed of "torpedoing" Queeg and he only took the case because he believed the wrong person was on trial. He berates all of them for not supporting Queeg and implies that it was their insubordination and disloyalty that led to the necessity of relieving Queeg.

Queeg was a decorated combat veteran upon taking command of the Caine. 7 years in the North Atlantic convoy routes, the last 2 of which he said something like, "They made it pretty rough on us." Yes, he was obviously suffering pretty badly from some sort of battle fatigue. In the present it would probably be labeled PTSD. He was probably failed by the Navy in not recognizing that he needed a rest and most certainly was failed by his subordinate officers who turned their backs on him even when he came to them for help.

No...Trump is not a Queeg. Drawing such a comparison just maligns an honorable- even though fictional- character.

I think we have to accept that the wonderful novel and film challenge us to see things in life, the issues that tent to divide us, as complex. This is the antithesis to Trump’s analysis and that of his most rabid supporters. US culture has at times branded complex analyses as sissified, any talk of nuance as weakness. Remember W: “I don’t do nuance.” Hence Trump’s visceral appeal to some.

Back
Top Bottom