• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBC to tape delay Olympics because women are bad sports fans

Crovax

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
NBC won't show the opening ceremony live, and its explanation is eyebrow-raising - Yahoo Finance

"The people who watch the Olympics are not particularly sports fans. More women watch the games than men, and for the women, they're less interested in the result and more interested in the journey. It's sort of like the ultimate reality show and miniseries wrapped into one. And to tell the truth, it has been the complaint of a few sportswriters. It has not been the complaint of the vast viewing public."

Well if NBC doesn't want me to watch the Olympics then I guess I just won't

The Olympics suck, particularly the summer ones. The only reason to watch is that in Rio there's a good chance many will be stabbed/shot.

Lol

TV has been basically ignoring what men want to see for a long time now. They know full well that women watch more TV than men, so they cater to women, while not really caring all that much about men. It's been that way for some time now.

Everything will be tape delayed, embargoed, and shown at night with endless sappy personal stories interspersed.

Pure bilge.

They're talking about the Opening Ceremony which is just a 3.5 hour production that has nothing to do about sports.

Maybe you should have read the article

NBC has also said it will air several marquee athletic events (swimming and gymnastics most prominent among them) on delay so they are televised in prime time.

Lol

TV has been basically ignoring what men want to see for a long time now. They know full well that women watch more TV than men, so they cater to women, while not really caring all that much about men. It's been that way for some time now.

You poor, poor victim!

This is really nothing new.

Maybe you should have read the article

Certain events sure. Just like always. It's my understanding though that everything is live online.

Certain events sure. Just like always. It's my understanding though that everything is live online.

Not usually when there isn't much of a time difference, Rio is just 1 hour ahead of eastern time.

Not to mention even the online might be tape delayed this time

NBC's online stream of the opening ceremony will be run on the same delay.

NBC won't show the opening ceremony live, and its explanation is eyebrow-raising - Yahoo Finance

Well if NBC doesn't want me to watch the Olympics then I guess I just won't

I don't understand your last sentence.

NBC wants people to watch NBC, especially during prime time. That is why NBC is scheduling what they broadcast to maximize NBC viewership.

If you're pissed at anyone because you cannot watch the opening ceremony, you should be at least partially pissed off at the other viewers who tend to tune out the opening ceremony, in my opinion.

The Olympics suck, particularly the summer ones. The only reason to watch is that in Rio there's a good chance many will be stabbed/shot.
I think there's a good chance someone will fall ill in the middle of an event. Who doesn't wanna see an athlete vomit during a gymnastic routine?

Not usually when there isn't much of a time difference, Rio is just 1 hour ahead of eastern time.

Not to mention even the online might be tape delayed this time

They've always played the main events (basketball, women's gymnastics, etc.) in the evening in order to get the best ratings. Anyways, enjoy whatever you want to watch instead of an event that only comes along every 4 years because you got you panties in a wad.

mlfw1174_S3rlk.gif

facepalm.jpg

Those poor, persecuted men, they literally never get any shows on TV for them.

EVER!

EVER!

EVER!

EVER!

Henrin plays the victim card in every single thread. It's really his only argument: "I'm a victim!!"

I think there's a good chance someone will fall ill in the middle of an event. Who doesn't wanna see an athlete vomit during a gymnastic routine?

yuk, a case of Giardiasis strikes a gymnast in a white leotard! brutal or a marathoner

Well, we won't get to see it at all. DirecTV is in a dispute with our local (Boston) NBC network and it went dark about 2 weeks ago, and it's still dark. ****ers.
All you need to do is plug in an antenna. Networks are free, and the picture may even be better than what you get from directv.

Well, we won't get to see it at all. DirecTV is in a dispute with our local (Boston) NBC network and it went dark about 2 weeks ago, and it's still dark. ****ers.

They're still doing that crap?

They did that over a year ago with two my routinely watched channels - I bailed on them quick.

All you need to do is plug in an antenna. Networks are free, and the picture may even be better than what you get from directv.

or just VPN stream off any of dozens of different national broadcasts (BBC etc). I'm doing that just because i don't trust the nbc edits

Going to have to call B.S. on NBC on that one. If it's that women watch more, and care less about the result but more about the journey and the stories, why does it matter what events get taped delayed? Surely the journey to Olympic Judo competitors can be just as interesting as swimming or basketball. Yet, unsurprisingly, it's the most popular sports that get picked,

facepalm.jpg

EVER!

EVER!

I didn't say that. Regardless, you should probably check where TV is experiencing the most loss and ask yourself why that is.

You poor, poor victim!

I don't watch TV. You can enjoy your shows filled with political and social agendas on your own. :)

Henrin plays the victim card in every single thread. It's really his only argument: "I'm a victim!!"

I have noticed that when men or whites(assuming the position is not taken up by a white woman and is about women) have a complaint you tell them to shut up, but when any other group has a complaint you always take their side. Why is that?

Back
Top Bottom