• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NBC does it again

jallman said:
no one gets more whiny than a christian group when it comes to offense....

I would rather they get whiny than kill people.

Two protesters were killed and 13 others injured

I think whining is still covered under free speech as being ok.
Whacking some cops(and yourself) over a cartoon that didnt even see print in your country probably is not.

Stinger said:
Not satisfied that their attempted smearing of Christians with The Book of Daniel NBC has decided to mock the crucifixion of Jesus and even go so far as to do it the night before the Christian observence of Good Friday.

>NBC Offends Christians Again
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
February 02, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A conservative advocacy group accuses NBC of "hitting back" at the Christian community in an upcoming episode of "Will and Grace."<

Seems Britney Spears will play a character in the show

>
When Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, Spears hosts a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's."<

Why is it that Christians are open game but they wouldn't dare denigrate any other religion in such a manner. Do you think we will ever see a show on NBC denigrating the Muslim religion? How about a comedy set in a Concentration Camp? UOTE]

I'm getting really tired of Christian group that want to sit and bitch about something that they saw on television or heard on the radio that they don't agree with! After years of antagonizing people for what they believe or who they love, this is pretty hypocritical. If you don't like whats on a certain show or channel, CHANGE IT!!!! There, problem solved!

akyron said:
I would rather they get whiny than kill people.

Two protesters were killed and 13 others injured

I think whining is still covered under free speech as being ok.
Whacking some cops(and yourself) over a cartoon that didnt even see print in your country probably is not.

Last I checked, we were discussing NBC and the battle they were having with the Christians. If you want to discuss Muslims and their bad behaviors, then we can do that too. I would just like to point out though, its not Christians and Muslims that are the problem. It is fundamentalists and extremists that are the problems.

Last edited:
Stinger said:
On the point I was making it was a salient point, your attack on her was not worth mentioning, I could care less what she was saying or not, and you even said it was not worth debating, I agreed.

First, my "attack" was merely observation. If you look at my posts on this forum, I am one of the last people to call gay hate or use the word bigot, but in her case a spade is a spade. On the point you were making, flimsy as it was, you tried to dodge a very poignant qualifier in that she is an entirely different breed of media personality than some comedy sketch or supernatural drama. You may be dismissive, as is your typical tactic when facts dont support your skewed logic, but I am only going to call you out on your lack of accomplishment.

jfuh said:
This is rediculous. Have you seen any program that used te bible for the same purpose? You're arguments are based entirely out of nothing but partisan bickering.

The same, well similar

Tuesday -- February 7, 2006
A STUDY IN MEDIA HYPOCRISY
Would you think that any major American media outlet would be more willing to offend the world's Catholics than those practitioners of the wonderful, peaceful religion of Islam? Naw ... not in this country, right? Well, you're wrong. Let's take CNN as an example. For the first part of this lesson in hypocrisy I'll direct you to a story that appeared on CNN.com on September 28, 1999. The headline reads "Exhibit controversy makes coffee-table book a hot item." This is a story about an eight-pound coffee table book that was flying off the shelves of New York City bookstores. Why? Because of a controversy over one picture in the book .. a picture of a work of "art" in the book titled "The Holy Virgin Mary." The piece was done with elephant dung. Catholics were less than amused. So, what did CNN do? It published the story complete with a picture of the offending piece. Here's your link to check it out. Now .. we move to February 6, 2006 and another CNN.com story titled "Danes feel threatened in cartoon row." This story, of course, is about all of those peaceful Muslims rioting and threatening death and mayhem because someone drew a cartoon of their pedophile-prophet Mohammed. Here's your link for the story about these peaceful Muslims. Now ... scroll down to the bottom of the story. You'll see the notation "CNN has chosen not to show the cartoons out of respect for Islam." Well, isn't that special. Go ahead and show a painting of the Virgin Mary created out of elephant poo, but withhold the pictures of these cartoons that are causing carnage around the world. We don't want to insult Muslims, do we? Catholics? Well, apparently they're on their own.

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

nuff said

jallman said:
First, my "attack" was merely observation. If you look at my posts on this forum, I am one of the last people to call gay hate or use the word bigot, but in her case a spade is a spade. On the point you were making, flimsy as it was, you tried to dodge a very poignant qualifier in that she is an entirely different breed of media personality than some comedy sketch or supernatural drama. You may be dismissive, as is your typical tactic when facts dont support your skewed logic, but I am only going to call you out on your lack of accomplishment.

Your previous statement "There is only one slight difference, worth mentioning but not worth creating a huge debate over."

There are just as many people who would say what she said was NOT as you described who would say that the attacks on Christianity are far more egregious than anything Dr. Laura ever said and THAT is the debate you said wasn't worth having but you STILL choose to throw in the gratutious attack. It wasn't worth mentioning unless you were willing to debate it, posting an attack like that and then saying "but I don't want to discuss it"?

But back to this issue, why does NBC and for that matter feel they can insult the religious beliefs of Christians but feel they must respect those of Islam? And are they cutting thier noses off to spite their face by continuing to do so.

Stinger said:
Your previous statement "There is only one slight difference, worth mentioning but not worth creating a huge debate over."

There are just as many people who would say what she said was NOT as you described who would say that the attacks on Christianity are far more egregious than anything Dr. Laura ever said and THAT is the debate you said wasn't worth having but you STILL choose to throw in the gratutious attack. It wasn't worth mentioning unless you were willing to debate it, posting an attack like that and then saying "but I don't want to discuss it"?

Not impressed in the least. You entered her into evidence and I made an observation that tore the bottom out of your point. Nuff said.

But back to this issue, why does NBC and for that matter feel they can insult the religious beliefs of Christians but feel they must respect those of Islam? And are they cutting thier noses off to spite their face by continuing to do so.

Well, probably because NBC understands that the most Christians are going to do is throw a little tantrum and sick Falwell on them. If they make such blatant fun of Muslims, then they are likely to have a bunch of towel-headed lemmings running at their studios with dynamite strapped to their backs screaming "la la la la la la la infidel la la lalalalalala". I think that might cost a little more than some lost advertisement.

There, I said it. You were all thinking it so dont come slamming down on me for telling it like it is.

jallman said:
Well, probably because NBC understands that the most Christians are going to do is throw a little tantrum and sick Falwell on them. If they make such blatant fun of Muslims, then they are likely to have a bunch of towel-headed lemmings running at their studios with dynamite strapped to their backs screaming "la la la la la la la infidel la la lalalalalala".

Ok that got me laughing. Anger the Christians and everyone laughs. Anger the Muslims and someone dies. I see your point.

"Death to Denmark!"

akyron said:
Ok that got me laughing. Anger the Christians and everyone laughs. Anger the Muslims and someone dies. I see your point.
Yup...

The "War on Christmas" was mocked by the media...

What would have changed if a store was raided by the local Christians and taken over like...let's say....an embassy?...

Then it would turn into "Oh...It's just a few whackos...thats' not representative of the whole faith."...

Funny huh?...Isn't that pretty much what they're saying NOW about the cartoon protestors?...:roll:

MSM - "War on Bush?...No such thing."
MSM - "War on Christmas?...No such thing."
MSM - "War on the Christian Right?...No such thing."

MSM - "War on Liberals?...OMG!...It's EVERYWHERE!!!!!...Claims of being "un-patriotic!...Un-American!...siding with Al-Qaeda!...They're being attacked every 2.3 seconds!!!!"

Sung to the tune of Dr.Pepper...

"I'm a victim; you're a victim; he's a victim; she's a victim; wouldn't you like to be a victim, too?"...

Last edited:
cnredd said:
The "War on Christmas" was mocked by the media...
Mocked? I think you meant propagated, perpetuated, impregnated, and praised by the media. It was their golden cow and they were happy to form a circle and dance around their unsubstantiated opinions.

jallman said:
Not impressed in the least. You entered her into evidence and I made an observation that tore the bottom out of your point. Nuff said.

Actually no, what she said or didn't say and who did or didn't support what she said had nothing to do with it and even you said you didn't want to debate it. Nuff said.

Well, probably because NBC understands that the most Christians are going to do is throw a little tantrum and sick Falwell on them.

Hmmmm Falwell doesn't have that big a following to begin with. So why did they cancel on show and edit the other if they didn't feel the backlash?

If they make such blatant fun of Muslims, then they are likely to have a bunch of towel-headed lemmings running at their studios with dynamite strapped to their backs screaming "la la la la la la la infidel la la lalalalalala". I think that might cost a little more than some lost advertisement.

So much for their "free speech"?

Stinger said:
Actually no, what she said or didn't say and who did or didn't support what she said had nothing to do with it and even you said you didn't want to debate it. Nuff said.

I said she wasnt worth debating. However, your attempt at using her as an example needed some qualifying and I did so. Your dismissal of the entire story was corrected and the point became moot. Nuff said.

Hmmmm Falwell doesn't have that big a following to begin with. So why did they cancel on show and edit the other if they didn't feel the backlash?

Falwell was this little thing we like to call an "example". An "example" is:

One serving as a pattern of a specific kind

So much for their "free speech"?

NBC's free speech...of course it oppresses their free speech and its wrong. Its wrong to do to Christians and its wrong to do to Muslims and wrong to do to, yes, even you. Extremists should be cut out of any and all influence on society.

Me>>
So the way to win Christians as an audience is to mock their deepest religious beliefs? Doesn't seem to be working so well for them.

You>>
Why do we Christians have to have everything geared toward us and our sensibilities? Is it really necessary to lobby for the removal of shows like The Book of Daniel or cant we just turn the damned dial if we dont like what we see?

Me>>
I'm not a Christian so I can't speak for them. But as someone else noted and I will add to, when the gay groups were upset about Dr. Laura couldn't they have just changed the channel?

You>>Absolutely. There is only one slight difference, worth mentioning but not worth creating a huge debate over. ...............

Me>> No it was not worth mentioning concerning this issue.

You>> Then why did you bring up Dr. Laura to start with? It was worth mentioning Dr. Laura when you thought it made a point for you, but when the point was rebutted, the most you could come up with was..."No it wasnt worth mentioning". You got to do better than that...

You didn't rebut anything.

Me>> On the point I was making it was a salient point, your attack on her was not worth mentioning, I could care less what she was saying or not, and you even said it was not worth debating, I agreed.

You>> First, my "attack" was merely observation.

No it was an attack on her opinion and on her her personally, your comparsion to the Klan. You may have arrived at YOUR opinion through observation but what you posted was at attack, and unnecessary and not worth mentioning.

You>> If you look at my posts on this forum, I am one of the last people to call gay hate or use the word bigot, but in her case a spade is a spade.

So you are the last person to do it but you did it anyway.

You>> Not impressed in the least. You entered her into evidence and I made an observation that tore the bottom out of your point. Nuff said.

Not at all. Your opinion of what she specifically says has nothing to do with the subject we were discussing, the right to lobby against an opinion you disagree with. Some would stridently disagree with you over what she said/says, but then you didn't want to have that debate you just wanted to let your little dig at her stand. Well as I said it wasn't worth mentioning in the first place.

You>> I said she wasnt worth debating. However, your attempt at using her as an example needed some qualifying and I did so.

No it didn't. In both cases a group object to content, in both cases each group could choose to formally protest or just turn the channel. The arguement that was being made was that Christians could just turn the channel instead of voicing their protest, the same arguement can be made with the gay groups who objected to Dr. Laura's content. Both groups used a formal protest to voice their opinions and they both certainly have a right to do so.

So can we get back to the core issue now?

Approx. 80% of the country, and perhaps more, claim to be Christian. Who at NBC is it that believes insulting the religious beliefs of 80% of the country is the way to gain viewers? At least with Dr. Laura the network could point to a large number out there who DO agree with her, yes I know you don't but that is not the issue. Especially since her show was a daytime or late night syndicated low audience to begin with as opposed to NBC doing this in primetime.

Stinger said:
You didn't rebut anything.

So says you. The dictionary would disagree:

re·but ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-bt)
1. v. re·but·ted, re·but·ting, re·buts
2. v. tr.To refute, especially by offering opposing evidence or arguments, as in a legal case.
3. To repel.
4. v. intr. To present opposing evidence or arguments.

No it was an attack on her opinion and on her her personally, your comparsion to the Klan. You may have arrived at YOUR opinion through observation but what you posted was at attack, and unnecessary and not worth mentioning.

You say tomato, I say valid-observation-based-on-the-hate-filled-rhetoric-she-has-used-to-make-herself-famous. Further, I only made my observation to show a contrast between a person who asserts herself as a professional and a show meant for entertainment purposes. If you cant deal iwth qualifying information, you are in the wrong place.

So you are the last person to do it but you did it anyway.

Have I called you a bigot for supporting her? Have I made any assertion that the christians are out to get gays for their uproar over the Will and Grace episode in question? Do I often make such remarks? Yes, one of the last. In Dr. Laura's case, a spade is still a spade though.

Not at all. Your opinion of what she specifically says has nothing to do with the subject we were discussing, the right to lobby against an opinion you disagree with. Some would stridently disagree with you over what she said/says, but then you didn't want to have that debate you just wanted to let your little dig at her stand. Well as I said it wasn't worth mentioning in the first place.

What she says has everything to do with the subject at hand. My observation of the differences between her agenda and a show meant for entertainment is more than germane to the conversation. I didnt intend to make it a huge side-track, but you made it quite clear that your ardor for her outweighs your supposed desire to "keep it on topic". And if it wasnt worth mentioning in the first place, then dont bring her up again. Choose a more respectable example next time and you wont be faced with this opposition.

No it didn't. In both cases a group object to content, in both cases each group could choose to formally protest or just turn the channel. The arguement that was being made was that Christians could just turn the channel instead of voicing their protest, the same arguement can be made with the gay groups who objected to Dr. Laura's content. Both groups used a formal protest to voice their opinions and they both certainly have a right to do so.

Yes it did. In one case, a group objected to a content with a specific and vocal agenda. In the other, a group protested entertainment because it didnt fit with their morality. Big difference. Now, back to my original point: both groups have the right to change the channel. I dont care for Dr. Laura, so if she had gotten her show, and especially as I took no part in any formal complaint, I reserve the right to change the channel. More people should take that approach.

So can we get back to the core issue now?

I have been inviting you to do so for a while...

Approx. 80% of the country, and perhaps more, claim to be Christian. Who at NBC is it that believes insulting the religious beliefs of 80% of the country is the way to gain viewers?

As I said before...why do we as Christians have to take so much insult where none is intended. (and before you start another weird digression and then dismiss the rebuttal...the same goes for gays).

At least with Dr. Laura the network could point to a large number out there who DO agree with her, yes I know you don't but that is not the issue. Especially since her show was a daytime or late night syndicated low audience to begin with as opposed to NBC doing this in primetime.

Here you go with Dr. Laura again. It is apparent we disagree on her, and that I actually DO find her offensive...yet you keep bringing her into the conversation and then dismissing my response. You are not fooling anyone and your lack of accomplishment in this discussion is still sorely visible.

shuamort said:
Mocked? I think you meant propagated, perpetuated, impregnated, and praised by the media. It was their golden cow and they were happy to form a circle and dance around their unsubstantiated opinions.
Uhhhh...No....

It was portayed as ONE media outlet propagating the war, and all of the other media outlets mocked them for it...

It was the MSM saying that it was BS, and used it to attack the one outlet for doing so...

cnredd said:
Uhhhh...No....

It was portayed as ONE media outlet propagating the war, and all of the other media outlets mocked them for it...

It was the MSM saying that it was BS, and used it to attack the one outlet for doing so...
So, you're saying that FoxNews isn't mainstream media. Gotcha.

shuamort said:

I didn't get that from his reply, sounds as if he is saying that MSM used this as an opportunity to attack the new kid on the block, and hopefully put an end to their rating supremacy!;)

shuamort said:
Nice try...

I'm saying that FoxNews was the ONLY one that extensively reported on it...The REST of the media took it as an afterthought or non-existant..

YOU were the one that said the media treated it as a "golden cow"...That's an implication that ALL of MSM did, which is, of course, not true...

Since when did ONE outlet become "the media"?!?...I would consider ONE outlet a small percentage when compared to the rest of it...

cnredd said:
Nice try...

I'm saying that FoxNews was the ONLY one that extensively reported on it...The REST of the media took it as an afterthought or non-existant..

YOU were the one that said the media treated it as a "golden cow"...That's an implication that ALL of MSM did, which is, of course, not true...

Since when did ONE outlet become "the media"?!?...I would consider ONE outlet a small percentage when compared to the rest of it...
Fox wasn't alone.

Newsmax:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/12/23/195359.shtml
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/12/8/200020.shtml
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/12/15/92144.shtml
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/1/165257.shtml
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/12/8/85728.shtml

CBS:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/19/opinion/main1135805.shtml
http://www.cbs46.com/Global/story.asp?S=4436125

That's just a perfunctory search.

I tried, I give up, you win.

Stinger said:
I tried, I give up, you win.[/QUOTE

Newsmax is main stream media? Who draws these lines?

Stinger said:
Not satisfied that their attempted smearing of Christians with The Book of Daniel NBC has decided to mock the crucifixion of Jesus and even go so far as to do it the night before the Christian observence of Good Friday.

>NBC Offends Christians Again
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
February 02, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A conservative advocacy group accuses NBC of "hitting back" at the Christian community in an upcoming episode of "Will and Grace."<

Seems Britney Spears will play a character in the show

>
When Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, Spears hosts a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's."<

Why is it that Christians are open game but they wouldn't dare denigrate any other religion in such a manner. Do you think we will ever see a show on NBC denigrating the Muslim religion? How about a comedy set in a Concentration Camp?

Well, most of the media won't dare offend any religion other than Christianity. Remember the old series Xena? Every time the made an episode based on another religion, be it hindu or whatever, they always included an apology at the end of the show, and stated that they meant no disrespect to the religion in question...unless it was christianity. Then, they just ran the episode.
Fox? The Simpsons routinely bash everything in some form or another. They only thing I've never seen them bash? Muslims.
And where does anyone get off saying it is the networks freedom of speech that is being threatened? Hardly. But freedom of speech does not grant one immunity from the repercussions that said free speech brings.
Christians are just exercising their right to freedom of speech.
You have the right to insult and ignore. Christians have the right to say what they feel should be said in the meantimie.
And the advertisers could care less about what you think. Only if it is going to impact their sales are they concerned. If they get a hundred angry letters saying that if you advertise on X show, then you lose their business, they listen.
And the Networks are in the same boat. They lose an advertiser, they lose money, and their stockholders get warped.
Everyone gets to say what they want. But the one with the purse strings is, in the end, the one that will have final say.

Ha! NewsMax and FauxNews are so rightwing, they gotta screw their shoes on in the morning! Too funny!

Mainstream media? Oh, you must mean that mainstream media that some goofballs claim is dominated by those evil liberals? :rofl

I gotcha........ ;)

Mainstream...... right on.

I think some of you would be right at home with the Islamic extremists.

scottyz said:
I think some of you would be right at home with the Islamic extremists.

Surely you jest?:shock:

Back
Top Bottom