• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBA to move all star game from Charlotte if anti lgbt law remains

chromium

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well after the false positive, now it's official and right from the source...

Silver: Law change needed to keep '17 All-Star in Charlotte | NBA.com

"Commissioner Adam Silver believes the NBA has been 'crystal clear' that the 2017 All-Star Game only stays in Charlotte if a North Carolina law goes."

no deadline as of yet, but clock is ticking. I am sure the usual bigots will blame the 'gay agenda' for coercing a pro league that only 4 years had never had a single openly gay athlete

or maybe, just maybe, it's cause it's the right thing to do

i also wonder if the charlotte nba team will be moved altogether. HBO's "Real Sports" went much further, as Gumbel argued the NFL and NCAA teams should also pull out (how UNC could do this legally i have no clue, but there are a couple regionals in NC coming that should be cancelled)

i am pleased to see the actual impact of a discriminatory law being addressed for once, and not political lies about 'family values' nor token gestures of remorse by those who ****ed up badly

Last edited:
Does the NBA realize that the state can just not renew their lease? Do they have plans all lined up for a new place for the Hornets to play? I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't lease out a stadium to a bunch of people that think they can push me around.

Does the NBA realize that the state can just not renew their lease? Do they have plans all lined up for a new place for the Hornets to play? I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't lease out a stadium to a bunch of people that think they can push me around.

Seems like a poor financial move for the city. And the lease is another 15 years anyway.

That said, punishing everybody in North Carolina, especially Charlotte where the vast majority probably wouldn't even approve of the law doesn't really make much sense.

lol if the state wants to lose tens of millions more by "kicking out" the charlotte team before it leaves on its own accord, they can go right ahead. You need to wake up and realize something has to give here and between the boycotts, the courts, and the fed funding, it's gonna be the law

lol if the state wants to lose tens of millions more by "kicking out" the charlotte team before it leaves on its own accord, they can go right ahead. You need to wake up and realize something has to give here and between the boycotts, the courts, and the fed funding, it's gonna be the law

They can just lease the stadium to someone else. :shrug: You seem to forget that the NBA like other sports leagues depend on the government, so maybe they shouldn't try to act all tough.

I wonder what is the view of the average NBA player. its been a while but I seem to recall that the NBA was seen as rather homophobic given the views of many of the players. I wonder if this move by the NBA is an attempt to counter that perception.

Seems like a poor financial move for the city. And the lease is another 15 years anyway.

That said, punishing everybody in North Carolina, especially Charlotte where the vast majority probably wouldn't even approve of the law doesn't really make much sense.

well you can get analyze the specifics of the boycotts, although surely hundreds from outside the city would go to the game, but doing nothing is definitely not the solution. This will bring huge amounts of media attention and keep the problem in the spotlight until it's fixed

it will also surely doom the republican governor and discourage other states from trying the same. Already tennessee rejected a similar bill after seeing the backlash

Why couldn't they just find someone else that wants to play there?

Why couldn't they just find someone else that wants to play there?

Because the lease says that the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets will play there until 2030. I doubt the NBA would let another team move there anyway. And the NHL already has a team in North Carolina.

I'm also opposed to giving in to people that want to try to force the states hand. The state needs to stand up for its people and handle those that want to play this game.

I wonder what is the view of the average NBA player. its been a while but I seem to recall that the NBA was seen as rather homophobic given the views of many of the players. I wonder if this move by the NBA is an attempt to counter that perception.

Sports does seem kind of the last bastion of homophobia, well, outside rural shanties. Still, jason collins had no issues, and there are gay refs. There's also been numerous players like anthony hardaway and barkley who said they had gay teammates, just they didn't want the media attention

As in society at large, things change fast and the average nba player is young enough that even though they're jocks, they could be tolerant

The NFL on the other hand, i have serious doubts. The players seem deeply homophobic to me and basically black listed michael sam

I'm also opposed to giving in to people that want to try to force the states hand. The state needs to stand up for its people and handle those that want to play this game.

and if the people of charlotte want this law gone? Oh but who cares about standing for them right, even though it'd be in their city

you've lost on all fronts, wave the white flag to salvage some dignity and humanity before the south is once again dragged kicking and screaming into the current century

Sports does seem kind of the last bastion of homophobia, well, outside rural shanties. Still, jason collins had no issues, and there are gay refs. There's also been numerous players like anthony hardaway and barkley who said they had gay teammates, just they didn't want the media attention

As in society at large, things change fast and the average nba player is young enough that even though they're jocks, they could be tolerant

The NFL on the other hand, i have serious doubts. The players seem deeply homophobic to me and basically black listed michael sam

I just don't see the purpose of this sort of action by the NBA. these sort of actions end up hurting the people least likely supporting the stuff that the boycotters whine about

Michael Sam and Jason Collins sucked. The only reason Jason Collins even came out is to hope to expend his career for a year.

and if the people of charlotte want this law gone? Oh but who cares about standing for them right, even though it'd be in their city

you've lost on all fronts, wave the white flag to salvage some dignity and humanity before the south is once again dragged kicking and screaming into the current century

Cities don't have rights, states do. :shrug:

I just don't see the purpose of this sort of action by the NBA. these sort of actions end up hurting the people least likely supporting the stuff that the boycotters whine about

um because the media attention and shaming campaign will bring incredible pressure on NC to repeal it, just like happened to indiana's "RFRA", and also it will discourage other states like texas from attempting the same. TN was poised to pass a very similar law, and backed down. So did georgia, michigan, arizona...you get the idea, there's a lot at stake across the country and some, well, 'collateral damage' is necessary

The cumulative nature of the boycotts: ranging from $5 mil in tourism already, to colleges losing applicants and donations, to tens of mil in businesses pulling out, and entertainment options not just for the city dwellers but also those who drive in and likely support discrimination, and finally there are many thousands in charlotte who do support the law

All told, this is estimated to cost NC over half a billion within a year, many of its better more educated citizens will leave the state, and it will all be for naught because it will lose the lawsuit and the law thrown out. Thus there will be huge pressure to repeal before all this happens, including losing the all star game

Michael Sam and Jason Collins sucked. The only reason Jason Collins even came out is to hope to expend his career for a year.

wow you're so full of it, not gonna bother

um because the media attention and shaming campaign will bring incredible pressure on NC to repeal it, just like happened to indiana's "RFRA", and also it will discourage other states like texas from attempting the same. TN was poised to pass a very similar law, and backed down. So did georgia, michigan, arizona...you get the idea, there's a lot at stake across the country and some, well, 'collateral damage' is necessary

The cumulative nature of the boycotts: ranging from $5 mil in tourism already, to colleges losing applicants and donations, to tens of mil in businesses pulling out, and entertainment options not just for the city dwellers but also those who drive in and likely support discrimination, and finally there are many thousands in charlotte who do support the law

All told, this is estimated to cost NC over half a billion within a year, many of its better more educated citizens will leave the state, and it will all be for naught because it will lose the lawsuit and the law thrown out. Thus there will be huge pressure to repeal before all this happens, including losing the all star game

I doubt lots of people will leave the state over this. however i do believe after the fourth circuit's ruling, the law will be struck down even though its a paper tiger of a law that has no chance of being able to be enforced

as I noted earlier, much ado about nothing-a tempest in a teapot.

And if they don't back down? Who will look like the enemy when the state is crushed? Who's actions do you think would have caused economic hardship on the state? I will give you a hint, it's not the governors.

Want to know what is ironic about this? You support anti-discrimination laws because no one can deny anyone service, but you support businesses boycotting and denying service. Hell, you even support forcing people to move to get service. It's pretty funny how fast you abandon your principles.

Last edited:
wow you're so full of it, not gonna bother

Both of them sucked. Did you even look how Sam tested before the draft? He was ****.

funny-picture-1.jpg

:lamo

I doubt lots of people will leave the state over this. however i do believe after the fourth circuit's ruling, the law will be struck down even though its a paper tiger of a law that has no chance of being able to be enforced

as I noted earlier, much ado about nothing-a tempest in a teapot.

you don't think those who went to the church where the pride flag was burned, or the waitress with the bible verse as a tip want to get the hell out? I also read an article by a gay banker who came there from california and says he knows many colleagues who now won't make the same jump. Things are getting ugly there. Laws like this only embolden the bigots, like happened in russia. Fighting back in various ways is necessary and the all star game brings a ton of leverage

It's amazing to me that someone who claims to be a legal expert can't read the 4 page law and notice that it forbids cities from protecting homosexuals in employment, NOT just the transgender bathroom nonsense. It aims to create a permanent underclass, although it will fail. That is indeed why so much backlash and why the governor's token executive order. Please, if you can't figure this out, stop commenting

Back
Top Bottom