• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBA reportedly pulling 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte over NC transgender law

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
NBA reportedly pulling 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte over NC transgender law | Fox News

The National Basketball Association will not hold its annual All-Star Game in Charlotte next year due to North Carolina's so-called "Bathroom Law" limiting anti-discrimination protection for LGBT people, according to reports.

The league will formally announce its withdrawal from Charlotte as soon as this week, due to the logistical effort involved in organizing the event.

The NBA's decision was first reported by Yahoo Sports and USA Today. Yahoo reported that New Orleans is now the frontrunner to host the Feb. 19 showcase.
So who is against this?
Who is for it.

Re: NBA reportedly pulling 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte over NC transgender la

Obviously done for Dwayne Wade.

Re: NBA reportedly pulling 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte over NC transgender la

I haven't watched an NBA all star game since 1980 (I attended the game in LA)... so .. I can't say I really care.

They're taking a stand, but the people they harm by this are not the idiots in Raleigh that voted for HB2, but the people in Charlotte that are against HB2. Looks to me like their anger is misdirected and they're targeting the wrong people.
They have decided the State laws are not compliant with the image they wish to present
Hard to single out a city, when it was a State law.
I see you point, but all will pay the price for lost jobs, conventions, tourism and so on.

The NBA is only exciting in the Finals. All Star games have been **** for years. Everyone too afraid of getting injured. Can't really blame them though.

THey said they were going to and it look like they did :shrug:
I dont know if im against or for it because I dont know all the details but good for the NBA since they did say this is what they would do.
Seems they didnt want their employees subjected to discrimination that they themselves do not support. Thats their choice I guess...

if I ran a large business would not do business with others that practice discrimination.

I haven't lived in Charlotte for 10 years now, so I don't know what the current mood is, but I can say this -- I lived there when the city voted, TWICE over a couple of years, against building the basketball arena, and one of the major selling points pushed by its proponents was that it could get an All-Star Game that way. No one cared. The arena proposals went down in flames.

The city, of course, built it anyway.

So, I don't know if anyone in Charlotte cares. They wouldn't have back then.

Free market capitalism

The NBA isn't anti transgender, Dennis Rodman used to eat a dress and paint his nails. He was a huge star in the NBA too.

They have decided the State laws are not compliant with the image they wish to present
Hard to single out a city, when it was a State law.
I see you point, but all will pay the price for lost jobs, conventions, tourism and so on.

Well, I'm not in the target audience for the NBA, so this matters as much to me as I matter to them. The courts will eventually overturn this idiotic law anyway.

They're taking a stand, but the people they harm by this are not the idiots in Raleigh that voted for HB2, but the people in Charlotte that are against HB2. Looks to me like their anger is misdirected and they're targeting the wrong people.

no
to be VERY clear
the problem is HB2

charlotte is not responsible for that bigoted legislation

I haven't lived in Charlotte for 10 years now, so I don't know what the current mood is, but I can say this -- I lived there when the city voted, TWICE over a couple of years, against building the basketball arena, and one of the major selling points pushed by its proponents was that it could get an All-Star Game that way. No one cared. The arena proposals went down in flames.

The city, of course, built it anyway.

So, I don't know if anyone in Charlotte cares. They wouldn't have back then.

The mood hasn't changed all that much. We still remember the screwing we got from the city and George Shinn with the original Hornets when they were the first top level professional team in Charlotte. Like a lot of other people, I had season tickets. The local TV stations make a big deal out of the current Hornets, but no one else could give a crap. So I don't think this will be that big of a deal.

Now, the Panthers on the other hand...

no
to be VERY clear
the problem is HB2

charlotte is not responsible for that bigoted legislation

WTF? That's what I thought I said? Re-read post you quoted, one more time, after you take a breath.

Does the NBA have a policy that requires all of its teames to allow it's fans to use the restroom of their choice verse their born biological sex?

If not it seems like they are just trying to hype up a game that is declining in viewers.

It would be hypocritical to shun NC for their bathroom laws yet then allow say the Celtics or Wizzards to have a similar policy at their arena.

Now, the Panthers on the other hand...
...got their butts kicked by my Broncos!! :bringit :flames: :spank:

But good luck to you all next year! :)

Back
Top Bottom