• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBA Pulls All Star Game From NC Over HB2

I don't get why the NBA cares about this.

The people in charge of the NBA want to emit a diverse and accepting attitude so they are moving their ASG elsewhere. Simple enough.

Well they said they would probably pull it and it seems like they did.

The people in charge of the NBA want to emit a diverse and accepting attitude so they are moving their ASG elsewhere. Simple enough.

then they will pay for it through the nose to reimburse the city for the expenses that it has doled out in preparation for the game.
contracts are nasty things to violate.

It would be great if fans would boycott the All Star Game. The NBA action is just one more reason why taxpayers should never fund or partially fund sport facilities. With the money they all make, they can build their own arenas.

Better yet, Boycott the Hornets, ask for refunds on all tickets already purchased. If the NBA feels so strongly on the issue, they should break the lease and move the team out of NC.

imo, it is a stupid move by the NBA. Wonder if the NBA considered the business they are hurting that may have the same political view on the issue as the NBA has?

Hopefully, taxpayers of NC will remember this move when it comes time for a new arena

then they will pay for it through the nose to reimburse the city for the expenses that it has doled out in preparation for the game.

the NBA violated contracts? links and factual proof please, thanks!

What preparations have they made so far? It's not like they had to build a new arena or anything. My guess is the NBA and their legal team are well prepared to deal with these matters and they have enough money to pay for it -- probably not a large concern in their department. Any city would be glad to host it (as NOLA has in 2008 and 2014, I believe?). After all, it is the NBA's ASG.

What preparations have they made so far? It's not like they had to build a new arena or anything. My guess is the NBA and their legal team are well prepared to deal with these matters and they have enough money to pay for it -- probably not a large concern in their department. Any city would be glad to host it (as NOLA has in 2008 and 2014, I believe?). After all, it is the NBA's ASG.

The city had to build several million dollars in upgrades to the stadium among other venue's that would be required for the all star game.
this doesn't include setting up extra security etc ... it also doesn't cover the lost revenue which they can recover as well.

then they shouldn't have issue cutting a check.

It would be great if fans would boycott the All Star Game. The NBA action is just one more reason why taxpayers should never fund or partially fund sport facilities. With the money they all make, they can build their own arenas.

Better yet, Boycott the Hornets, ask for refunds on all tickets already purchased. If the NBA feels so strongly on the issue, they should break the lease and move the team out of NC.

imo, it is a stupid move by the NBA. Wonder if the NBA considered the business they are hurting that may have the same political view on the issue as the NBA has?

Hopefully, taxpayers of NC will remember this move when it comes time for a new arena

I am sure they will when the NBA is sued. unless those ticket will still be good for wherever they move it to.
but that is add hours of travel that a lot of people figured they wouldn't have to deal with.

The city had to build several million dollars in upgrades to the stadium among other venue's that would be required for the all star game.
this doesn't include setting up extra security etc ... it also doesn't cover the lost revenue which they can recover as well.

links and proof contracts were broken, thanks?

I am sure they will when the NBA is sued. unless those ticket will still be good for wherever they move it to.
but that is add hours of travel that a lot of people figured they wouldn't have to deal with.

NBA will be sued? all start tickets were sold already?
Links and factual proof please, thanks LOL

NBA will be sued? all start tickets were sold already?
Links and factual proof please, thanks LOL

Do you believe the NBA or a City would commit to an event like the All Star game without an agreement or contract?

No doubt they'll also pull out of their planned preseason games in Shanghai and Beijing.

Right?

So the NBA is so concerned about the NC new law they are moving the All Star Game. Yet, no word they are going to pull the NC Hornets who pay all season in NC.
Does anyone see the hypocrisy in this action?

The NBA is moving All-Star game from Charlotte after North Carolina fails to repeal anti-LGBTQ law - SBNation.com
""The NBA is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all who attend our games and events. We are deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principles of equality and mutual respect and do not yet know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte.""

I provided a linked article in another post. Seems the city has spent 33.5 million in upgrades to the arena , to meet what the NBA wanted for NC to host the event.

Do you believe the NBA or a City would commit to an event like the All Star game without an agreement or contract?

Weird, can you you quote where I said that at all in any fashion?
They could have had 100 of them and probably had at least one but them existing doesnt mean they were violated.

anybody claiming they are going to be sued or violated contracts is making it up and assuming.

Could there be a contact violation? there could but unless somebody has the contract we dont know.
The contract "COULD" be the very thing that allows them to move the game. The city could be in violation of it. We dont know and nobody should claim to know because that would be guessing.

Last edited:

They probably won't. The NBA wouldn't be moving the game if they didn't think they could "afford" it. And if you're citing the same article as mike, please see below response. If they really wanted/needed the money, they should change the law. :shrug:

I provided a linked article in another post. Seems the city has spent 33.5 million in upgrades to the arena , to meet what the NBA wanted for NC to host the event.

It sounds more like the city spent that to upgrade the stadium but it wasn't to host the event, specifically.

Weird, can you you quote where I said that at all in any fashion?
They could have had 100 of them and probably had at least one but them existing doesnt mean they were violated.

You have been asking for proof of a contract or agreement between the city and the NBA. By asking what I did I am trying to figure out if your that naïve on how events like the All Star Game, Super Bowl, ect happen.

If you were a Mayor of a City would commit to spending millions of tax payers dollars without a contract or agreement from the other party involved?

Funny how there is no word from the NBA on moving the team out of state. Hypocracy at the highest level.

They probably won't. The NBA wouldn't be moving the game if they didn't think they could "afford" it. And if you're citing the same article as mike, please see below response. If they really wanted/needed the money, they should change the law. :shrug:

It sounds more like the city spent that to upgrade the stadium but it wasn't to host the event, specifically.

Not going to take the time to look up the other articles I read for you. The articles indicated that in order to host the All Star Game the improvements had to be made. So in some ways it is all tied together.

If the new law is such a big deal to the NBA, when are they going to move the Hornets from NC? Seems if the law bothers them that much, then they should move the team out now, rather than later. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom