• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navy officer held in the brig secretly for 8 months for spying

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
Hoo boy, this guy's in for a long, hard row to hoe. I strongly doubt he'll get the death penalty, but he's going to be in Leavenworth for a long, long time...and in the eyes of his fellow inmates, he's going to be lower than child molesters, and it will be even worse since he's an LCDR and the formerly-enlisted inmates there will see that as an excuse to hate him all the more. From Newsweek:

The officer’s unit “provides airborne anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare and maritime intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations from planes such as the P-8A Poseidon, P-3C Orion and unmanned MQ-4C Triton,” according to the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot newspaper. The command of the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force is headquartered at Hampton Roads Naval Support Activity in Norfolk, “although it's not clear whether he was stationed there,” the paper said. The unit has wings at Jacksonville Naval Air Station in Florida, Whidbey Island Naval Air Station in Washington state and Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

My initial guess is that since our biggest threat is from the Chinese, and since they're trying to build ultra-quiet diesels, and he was working with our sub-hunter unit...he was working for the Chinese. The brig is not a fun place, but at least in a Navy brig (assuming it's properly run) he'll be safe from the other inmates...but once he gets to Leavenworth, I'm not so sure about that, even if it is a federal prison.

Hoo boy, this guy's in for a long, hard row to hoe. I strongly doubt he'll get the death penalty, but he's going to be in Leavenworth for a long, long time...and in the eyes of his fellow inmates, he's going to be lower than child molesters, and it will be even worse since he's an LCDR and the formerly-enlisted inmates there will see that as an excuse to hate him all the more. From Newsweek:

The officer’s unit “provides airborne anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare and maritime intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations from planes such as the P-8A Poseidon, P-3C Orion and unmanned MQ-4C Triton,” according to the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot newspaper. The command of the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force is headquartered at Hampton Roads Naval Support Activity in Norfolk, “although it's not clear whether he was stationed there,” the paper said. The unit has wings at Jacksonville Naval Air Station in Florida, Whidbey Island Naval Air Station in Washington state and Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

My initial guess is that since our biggest threat is from the Chinese, and since they're trying to build ultra-quiet diesels, and he was working with our sub-hunter unit...he was working for the Chinese. The brig is not a fun place, but at least in a Navy brig (assuming it's properly run) he'll be safe from the other inmates...but once he gets to Leavenworth, I'm not so sure about that, even if it is a federal prison.

I don't know why. There's Classified, and then there's Classified.

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

Yeah. What's the big deal? It's not like the Chinese don't know we track their subs. How do we do it? Why, with tracking ****. Same as everybody else. You just put a big magnet on the belly of a plane, and viola. Or, you tie balloons to magnets and drop 'em in the water. Or, you tie a big ear to balloon and drop those things in the water. Nothing to it.

Yes, I'm a far-left liberal. Yes, I think we need to cut our defense budget. Yes, I think that diplomacy is crucial. Yes, I believe that multiculturalism is crucial for our nation's future. Yes, I think America's done some really bad things that we should be ashamed of (are you reading this, Dubya?).

But I'm also retired Navy...and I've got a very, very low opinion of any piece of s**t who spies for other nations. There are a few things that the far right and I will agree on...and this is one of them.

Yes, I'm a far-left liberal. Yes, I think we need to cut our defense budget. Yes, I think that diplomacy is crucial. Yes, I believe that multiculturalism is crucial for our nation's future. Yes, I think America's done some really bad things that we should be ashamed of (are you reading this, Dubya?).

But I'm also retired Navy...and I've got a very, very low opinion of any piece of s**t who spies for other nations. There are a few things that the far right and I will agree on...and this is one of them.
Hell I've never had the opportunity to serve, but as a citizen I think this guy is lower than dog-**** for putting us all it risk, and doubly dog-**** for putting our boys in uniform at risk.

I grew-up in an Outfit town hearing from a young age, "There's nothing worse than a snitch". Well, I'm older and live in wider latitude these days, and there is something worse: A traitor!

Course all but a real dim bulbs knows there's political 'classified' and then there is Holy Crap- that REALLY damages national security and endangers Service Personnel... :peace

Hell I've never had the opportunity to serve, but as a citizen I think this guy is lower than dog-**** for putting us all it risk, and doubly dog-**** for putting our boys in uniform at risk.

I grew-up in an Outfit town hearing from a young age, "There's nothing worse than a snitch". Well, I'm older and live in wider latitude these days, and there is something worse: A traitor!

Actually, you pointed out in so many words that there's a difference between a spy and a traitor. If someone is trained in another nation and is sent here to spy on us, well, he or she is a spy...but this Navy officer - if the allegations are true - is a traitor. Big difference, because a traitor is someone who really was one of us, whereas the same is usually not true of spies. One can even give a grudging measure of respect to spies since we have our own spies in other nations, too ("Bridge of Spies" was a great movie, btw), and spies do what they are sworn to do for their native lands...

...but the traitor is a different animal.

Reminds me of a story from Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast (not to be missed!), in his series "Wrath of the Khans", a chillingly good series about Genghis Khan and his sons. When Genghis Khan laid siege to one city, the people inside began fighting each other, one side wanting to defend the city, the other side wanting to open the gates to the Mongols. The story goes that when the Mongols rode into the city, they saw the people fighting and killing each other, but not fighting the Mongols at all. After the traitorous side won the city and welcomed the Mongols, Genghis Khan ordered that they all be killed. "Who could trust such people?" he asked.

Course all but a real dim bulbs knows there's political 'classified' and then there is Holy Crap- that REALLY damages national security and endangers Service Personnel... :peace

Sure.

That's why we have "Sensitive But Unclassified", "Unclassified//For Official Use Only", "Confidential", "Secret", and "Top Secret".

What falls under "Holy Crap - that REALLY damages National Security and endangers Service Personnel" is outlined in 18 C.F.R. 3a.11:

(1) Top Secret. Top Secret refers to national security information or material which requires the highest degree of protection. The test for assigning Top Secret classification is whether its unauthorized disclosure could reasonably be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security. Examples of exceptionally grave damage include armed hostilities against the United States or its allies; disruption of foreign relations vitally affecting the national security; the compromise of vital national defense plans or complex cryptologic and communications intelligence systems; the revelation of sensitive intelligence operations; and the disclosure of scientific or technological developments vital to national security. This classification is to be used with the utmost restraint.

(2) Secret. Secret refers to national security information or material which requires a substantial degree of protection. The test for assigning Secret classification shall be whether its unauthorized disclosure could reasonably be expected to cause serious damage to the national security. Examples of serious damage include disruption of foreign relations significantly affecting the national security; significant impairment of a program or policy directly related to the national security; revelation of significant military plans or intelligence operations; and compromise of significant scientific or technological developments relating to national security. The classification Secret shall be sparingly used.

(3) Confidential. Confidential refers to national security information or material which requires protection, but not to the degree described in paragraphs (a) (1) and (2) of this section. The test for assigning Confidential classification shall be whether its unauthorized disclosure could reasonably be expected to cause damage to the national security.

Beyond Top Secret, of course, there is SCI (Special Compartmented Information) and SAP (Special Access Program) information. You have to be especially read-on to any of these data streams, and sign a life-long, binding, legal contract that you understand the needs of the program, and will keep your trap shut.

Hillary signed that document. She then put TS//SCI and SAP material on her server. So that would be "exceptionally grave damage to the national security". It included some of our nations most closely-guarded secrets. And she didn't care - because hey - she's Hillary Clinton, the next POTUS, and no Democrat will ever indict her.

Hillary signed that document. She then put TS//SCI and SAP material on her server. So that would be "exceptionally grave damage to the national security". It included some of our nations most closely-guarded secrets. And she didn't care - because hey - she's Hillary Clinton, the next POTUS, and no Democrat will ever indict her.

Purging all the -if ya can't dazzle them with brilliance- baffle them with Bull **** crap ya flung into this-

Only a highly ardent partisan would compare treason with political games playing by the PUB Congress- IF there was anything worth going after hillary for the Party of NO would have pushed hard for an indictment- instead they dribble and mutter about smoke... :roll:

Did ANYTHING she put on that server do exceptionally grave damage??? What closely guarded secrets that concerns national security or endangered active duty service personnel???

Hillary is amazing- she knew back then that the PUBs would hold a bizarre land primary and all but assure her of the Presidency... :doh

Purging all the -if ya can't dazzle them with brilliance- baffle them with Bull **** crap ya flung into this-

Dude. That's the law. It's the actual ****ing law.

Every single individual who is ever granted a Top Secret clearance goes through this.

Only a highly ardent partisan would compare treason with political games playing by the PUB Congress- IF there was anything worth going after hillary for the Party of NO would have pushed hard for an indictment- instead they dribble and mutter about smoke... :roll:

Actually it is probably the FBI pushing for an indictment, but that has to come from the Democrat Attorney General, so... :shrug: it ain't gonna happen. The Obama Administration isn't going to hand over the White House to Republicans over a little thing like Rule of Law.

Did ANYTHING she put on that server do exceptionally grave damage???

At last count, there are at least 22 examples of that. And more than 2,000 examples of damage and serious damage.

What closely guarded secrets that concerns national security or endangered active duty service personnel?

TS//SCI and SAP material. Both of which were on her server.

Hillary is amazing- she knew back then that the PUBs would hold a bizarre land primary and all but assure her of the Presidency...

:lol: well, there are rumors about that phone call between The Donald and Bill that happened right before Donald hopped into the race....

But no. Had she known that this was going to become known, she probably would have set up a different system. Keeping it from becoming known, was, of course, precisely why she set up a private server in the first place.

well, there are rumors about that phone call between The Donald and Bill that happened right before Donald hopped into the race....

Again getting the Bull **** out of the way...

Again what exceptional damage to national security did Hillary do? We know this Officer did exceptional damage, but only the ranters on the Right seem to think any damage was done by Hillary- and if you ever take off the blinders you'd see there are precious few of you.... :doh

Now as far as trying her- PUB controlled Congress has produced little if any evidence there are criminal intent on Hillary's part- and you can bet your Trump button if they could they would. no this is just partisan politics that isn't even getting traction on Breitbart... :peace

Again getting the Bull **** out of the way...

I accept your implicit admission that you have no actual response.

Again what exceptional damage to national security did Hillary do?

She had a spillage with Top Secret information, to include TS//SCI and SAP. 22 times. By Definition, that which is Top Secret is that which causes Exceptionally Grave Damage to the National Security if released as she did.

Now as far as trying her- PUB controlled Congress has produced little if any evidence there are criminal intent on Hillary's part

:shrug: because it's not their job.

I accept your implicit admission that you have no actual response.She had a spillage with Top Secret information, to include TS//SCI and SAP. 22 times. By Definition, that which is Top Secret is that which causes Exceptionally Grave Damage to the National Security if released as she did. because it's not their job.

I accept you have ZERO proof ANY of the '22 times' did any ACTUAL damage to our security or put service personnel in any sort of danger... :2wave:

The material was NEVER released and did no harm- it is something you refuse to accept. no harm-no foul.

What secrets did she give to a foreign government? Which foreign government was she working for???

You take a 'could have' and try to compare it to a sure as hell did...

I'll take your shrug as an implicit admission you accept the PUB controlled Congress found no damage done and is just trying to make a fire out of their own E-Cigarette smoke...

But you sure are working hard to make an apple look like an orange... :peace

I accept you have ZERO proof ANY of the '22 times' did any ACTUAL damage to our security or put service personnel in any sort of danger...

By Definition, Each of those 22 times counts as Exceptionally Grave Damage to National Security. That's the law.

What secrets did she give to a foreign government?

Apparently quite a few. We don't know the content, because those emails have been redacted.

I'll take your shrug as an implicit admission you accept the PUB controlled Congress found no damage done and is just trying to make a fire out of their own E-Cigarette smoke..

You are confusing - either because you wish to confuse because it makes it easier on you to avoid reality, or because you are irredeemably stupid - the House investigation into Benghazi (which is a different matter) with the FBI investigation into Hillary's thousands of violations of federal law regarding the handling of Classified Information.

He should be executed.

Espionage is still a capital crime, correct?

By Definition, Each of those 22 times counts as Exceptionally Grave Damage to National Security. That's the law.

To be fair, it's possible that no enemies of the US actually accessed those documents.

But certainly, she recklessly endangered national security and she ought to be incarcerated for it.

He should be executed.

Espionage is still a capital crime, correct?

In wartime.

But I'm against it even in wartime. Why? Because even the worst spy or traitor who has been caught may still have some intelligence or other information...and once he's executed, we no longer have access to that intel or information.

Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck... the guy is enterprising and they get him in trouble?

Back
Top Bottom