• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navy fires officer in charge of captured sailors

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
According to the preliminary report, the sailors originally set out from Kuwait for Bahrain but quickly -- and unknowingly -- went off course and headed almost directly for Iran's Farsi Island in the middle of the Persian Gulf.
The report found that several factors may have contributed to the failure:
• The sailors had never made the trip before.
• They had been up most of the night before conducting maintenance on one of the boats that had broken down.
• They had to "cannibalize" parts from a third boat in order to have two working vessels.
• They then experienced problems with their satellite communications gear.
All of this led them to leaving port later than planned.
In addition, they did not conduct a standard operational briefing for themselves prior to setting sail, during which they would have fully reviewed their route and navigation plan.
The approved navigation path would have had them sail in international waters between the Iranian coastline and the eastern side of Farsi Island as they moved south toward Bahrain. Instead, they were significantly off course, sailing on the western side of the island.

The report also indicated that the sailors were not aware of Farsi Island's location. They instead believed a small Saudi island was the navigation feature they were supposed to be sailing around.
As the sailors unknowingly approached the Iranian island, they had already missed one scheduled check-in phone call with their command center, and the command center for some reason did not notice that the tracking equipment on board had them headed for Iranian waters.
Once inside Iranian waters, the boat with the navigation problem broke down again and was then fixed.
But the sailors were quickly surrounded by two initial IRGC boats and didn't immediately understand they were Iranian forces, according to the report. Four more IRGC boats quickly approached and encircled the Americans, blocking their escape path.
At this point, the U.S. personnel decided not to resist, seeing no way out of their situation.

Navy fires officer in charge of sailors detained in Iran - CNNPolitics.com

A nice little rebuttal to those who claim that Obama's distain, disregard and mismanagement of the military has not harmed us. This is crazy bad execution in one of the most important theaters we are operating in.

Last edited:
A nice little rebuttal to those who claim that Obama's distain, disregard and mismanagement of the military has not harmed us. This is crazy bad execution in one of the most important theaters we are operating in.

Any evidence Obama actually had anything to do with the decision?

Cause I bet you don't.

BBC:

The US Navy has fired the commander of the 10 US sailors who in January entered Iranian territorial waters and were briefly detained.

In a statement, the US Navy said it had lost confidence in Eric Rasch, who was in charge of a riverine squadron at the time of the incident in the Gulf.

A Navy official said Mr Rasch had been re-assigned, the Associated Press says.

The sailors were released after intense diplomacy between US Secretary of State John Kerry and senior Iranian officials.

On Thursday, the US Navy official said that Mr Rasch had failed to provide effective leadership, leading to a lack of oversight, complacency and failure to maintain standards in his unit.

The official - who spoke on condition of anonymity - did not say what the former commander's new role was.

US naval commander demoted after Iran's capture of sailors - BBC News

just another example of democrats betraying the brave men and women who wear our nation's uniform. shameful.

#gobacktochicago.

I'm no fan of Obama but this occurred WAY below him on the chain of command. If this were a systemic problem you might have a point, but I don't see that as the case.

just another example of democrats betraying the brave men and women who wear our nation's uniform. shameful.

#gobacktochicago.

Care to provide a link that shows those in his chain of command (other than the commander in chief) are democrats?

This kind of complete breakdown of high priority units does not happen without problems at the top.

You've never been in the military I suspect.

If only you knew what happened in the 70's in the military. Fortunately the media was excluded from some of those events.

This kind of complete breakdown of high priority units does not happen without problems at the top.

Stupid **** like this has happened under every president. Frequently by people much higher in the chain of command.

You've never been in the military I suspect.

If only you knew what happened in the 70's in the military. Fortunately the media was excluded from some of those events.

I can vouch for things like this in the late 80s and early 90s.

So anything in the Military that goes wrong is Obama's fault?
Then the Naval scandal where Officers accepted bribes for Naval Ports of call in Asia are his as well.
Then harassment at WP are his as well. You have no idea of how far down the chain this Officer is.

Nope up a few levels where he was in the end promoted. No way in hell that Obama was in this mess.

I can vouch for things like this in the late 80s and early 90s.
Same up north in the Canadian Military. If the public only knew.

Any evidence Obama actually had anything to do with the decision?

Cause I bet you don't.

BBC:

US naval commander demoted after Iran's capture of sailors - BBC News

Did Obama forcefully demand the release of these sailors after their capture?

Is this the same Iran who Obama cut a nuclear arms deal with, or is this a different Iran? This surely must be a different Iran, because surely the Obama administration would have demanded some sort of sanctions against a country with whom we had recently signed a nuclear arms deal with, for capturing and holding our sailors for nothing more than inadvertantly wandering off course. Surely.

:roll:

Of course it does. The officer in charge f*cked it up. What possible thing could Obama have done to prevent the f*ck-up?
Jeez, it sounds like that thread where someone thanked God for a promotion on the job. Is the President that omniscient?

Who's the commander in chief of The United States armed forces?

Are you serious?

One of the junior enlisted in my unit is getting chaptered for underage drinking and missing curfew. Is it General Brook's fault that he can't exercise complete control over every soldier under his authority?

The OIC of those sailors should have been cashiered for allowing his men to be treated as propaganda and for allowing them to conduct themselves as they did. Some of the sailors should be brought up on charges for their conduct.

The President of the United States.

Phew!

Thanks for throwing me a softball, I've had a tough day.

The commander in chief is responsible for the conduct of the men and women under his command. Some of the sailors in that detail acted disgracefully.

Are you serious?

One of the junior enlisted in my unit is getting chaptered for underage drinking and missing curfew. Is it General Brook's fault that he can't exercise complete control over every soldier under his authority?

A commander isn't responsible for the conduct of the men under his charge? Is that the new standard, or is that pro-Obama partisanship?

The commander in chief is responsible for the conduct of the men and women under his command. Some of the sailors in that detail acted disgracefully.

Okay.

Now we're in la la land.

Laterz.

Thank you for admitting Reagan's culpability in Iran-Contra.

Back
Top Bottom