• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier

Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier

Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier.

The Navy is expected to announce it has relieved the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, according to two U.S. officials. Capt. Brett Crozier, who commands the Roosevelt, an aircraft carrier with a crew of nearly 5,000, will be relieved of his command, but keep his rank and remain in the Navy. Crozier raised the alarm earlier this week that sailors on the ship need to be quarantined to stop the spread of the virus. His plea for assistance quickly made headlines.

--

What do you guys think?

The Navy is embarrassed that they didn't react to calls for help so they are trying to make the captain look like the mess is his fault. Apparently he is well liked by the crew. They gave him a rousing send off.

Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier.

The Navy is expected to announce it has relieved the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, according to two U.S. officials. Capt. Brett Crozier, who commands the Roosevelt, an aircraft carrier with a crew of nearly 5,000, will be relieved of his command, but keep his rank and remain in the Navy. Crozier raised the alarm earlier this week that sailors on the ship need to be quarantined to stop the spread of the virus. His plea for assistance quickly made headlines.

--

What do you guys think?

He's a POS that doesn't deserve to wear the uniform. He should be drummed out of the service.

The Navy is embarrassed that they didn't react to calls for help so they are trying to make the captain look like the mess is his fault. Apparently he is well liked by the crew. They gave him a rousing send off.

Exactly. But later they will make him an admiral

It was not the Commanders place to go to the press, I agree. I am sure he knew the ramifications to his career with the memo, and was looking out for the women and men in his charge. As an officer he was wrong, but for his leadership and humanity I applaud him.

As you say the full facts have yet to surface.

He did not go to the press. He wrote to several naval officers trying to get help when none was forthcoming from the Navy in Washington. One of his letter was leaked to the press.

He did not go to the press. He wrote to several naval officers trying to get help when none was forthcoming from the Navy in Washington. One of his letter was leaked to the press.

He sent his letter to "20 or 30" people. That guaranteed it would leak.

Oh yeh i'm sure Russian and Chinese intelligence wouldn't have been able to work out why a US aircraft carrier was stationary in Guam and receiving aid....

You know better. Sandhurst taught you better.

I understand what it is like to serve in the military. I understand what it is like to have people under my command that I am responsible for. I understand that if they are willing to place their trust in me I must live up to that trust. I'd rather be in the brig than hide behind orders that needlessly put my troops in harms way.

I didnt wear a suit to work

You will just never understand

As I said, during one tour an O-6 was my deputy. During an earlier tour, two SF sergeants were on my team. Read the link I provided and learn.

I'm not shocked. I'm willing to bet that he tried to get a better resolution and was shot down. He then took the steps he did, knowing what it would result in. He won't be particularly hurt, because he's already a "made man" so far as his career goes at that point. He can retire and live a life of ease. We always tell each other to, "Do what your rank can handle." and he can handle pretty much anything at his rank, so long as it isn't something that loses him his retirement and rank, and this doesn't reach that level.

His Sailors will remember him putting his own ass on the line for them. Hopefully the increased attention that this brought to the situation will help those Sailors out of that BS situation they are stuck in. Navy ships aren't no cruise liner. You're packed in there.

Looks like I was right.

Videos show sailors cheering Navy captain relieved of command after raising alarm on coronavirus

As I said, during one tour an O-6 was my deputy. During an earlier tour, two SF sergeants were on my team. Read the link I provided and learn.

Yeah I worked with civilians too. They would come around in their suits and tell us what they thought we should do. We generally ignored them.

If they want to issue orders, get a haircut and raise your right hand. Lol

Yeah I worked with civilians too. They would come around in their suits and tell us what they thought we should do. We generally ignored them.

Freaking politicians moving pawns around on a chess board. Bastards.

Read the link. Learn. They worked for me. Goodbye.

Just this once: 34 years, including 18 abroad. Five war zones.

You wore a suit and tie. You never served a day. In the rear with the gear

Relax consultant

You just don't get it. Do you recall that the first Americans into Afghanistan after 9/11 were civilians?

They weren't you. Just stop dude. You filed reports.

You may recall the first one killed, Johnny Mike Spann. I swore him in. He was one of my junior officers.

Why weren't you with him? Did you have a report that needed to be filed? Lol

The wheels were already in motion to support the Big Stick.

Who the hell is the Big Stick? The Commander? The Secretary of the Navy? The President? Good grief, some of you try way too hard with your jargon.

And you have zero idea what "proper" procedures were used or not.

Let's do this together. The man was a Navy Captain; an O-6. And he was the commander of a Nimitz-Class nuclear powered aircraft carrier. This is not a row boat. He is the equivalent of a Marine Colonel, who leads a Regiment. The next phase for both is the Admiral and the General ranks, respectively.

This means that Crozier had at least two decades of Navy officer behind him, with all the military experience and legal education that this comes with. Thus, even you should have a pretty good idea of what "proper" procedures he followed prior to his widely disseminated letter. Can I assume that, whatever rank you managed to achieve, you retired after twenty? Did you not learn about proper procedures and how to raise an alarm over those two decades? Did you not understand Request Mast as a lower enlisted and Chain-of-Command contacts as a senior enlisted? I remember you saying once how you helped your men defy leadership at every turn because your men came first...whatever that was supposed to mean.

To assume that Captain Crozier simply lost his head and jumped to this extreme is a stupid gamble. He was clearly a trained professional. Or do you think just let anybody command a Nimitz-Class nuclear powered aircraft carrier? To suggest otherwise is to declare that the Navy made a mistake in the first place.

The captain is probably a very good man, but he did not handle this in a way that promoted "steadfastness" among his crew.

The fact that he took time to write this letter and widely disseminate it suggests that he had tried to handle it.

We're all gonna die!

Suggesting that if even one Sailor dies that he wasn't important enough.

Who the hell is the Big Stick? The Commander? The Secretary of the Navy? The President? Good grief, some of you try way too hard with your jargon.

Let's do this together. The man was a Navy Captain; an O-6. And he was the commander of a Nimitz-Class nuclear powered aircraft carrier. This is not a row boat. He is the equivalent of a Marine Colonel, who leads a Regiment. The next phase for both is the Admiral and the General ranks, respectively.

This means that Crozier had at least two decades of Navy officer behind him, with all the military experience and legal education that this comes with. Thus, even you should have a pretty good idea of what "proper" procedures he followed prior to his widely disseminated letter. Can I assume that, whatever rank you managed to achieve, you retired after twenty? Did you not learn about proper procedures and how to raise an alarm over those two decades? Did you not understand Request Mast as a lower enlisted and Chain-of-Command contacts as a senior enlisted? I remember you saying once how you helped your men defy leadership at every turn because your men came first...whatever that was supposed to mean.

To assume that Captain Crozier simply lost his head and jumped to this extreme is a stupid gamble. He was clearly a trained professional. Or do you think just let anybody command a Nimitz-Class nuclear powered aircraft carrier? To suggest otherwise is to declare that the Navy made a mistake in the first place.

The fact that he took time to write this letter and widely disseminate it suggests that he had tried to handle it.

Suggesting that if even one Sailor dies that he wasn't important enough.

You don't know a hell of a lot about a subject that you are rambling on about?

tumblr_opori8kFbw1r9eq2so1_1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom