• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navy Announces Elimination of NWU Type I

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
oday, the Navy announced in NAVADMIN 174/16 that it will transition from the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type I to the NWU Type III as the service's primary shore working uniform beginning Oct. 1, 2016.

Over the next three years, Sailors may wear either the NWU Type I or III, but effective Oct. 1, 2019, all Sailors will be expected to wear the NWU Type III as their primary Working Uniform when ashore or in port.

While the Navy is developing an incremental regional fielding plan for the NWU Type III, this transition period will give Sailors time to prepare for the change and allow them to get maximum wear out of recently purchased NWU Type I uniforms.

This was kinda a shock to me. Not that the navy was changing working uniforms, but that it had already changed them more than once since I got out. When I was in, it was dungarees:

dungs.jpg

Apparently after I got out, they switched to utility uniforms:

USNshamShrt.jpg

Then NWU1s:

navy-working-uniform_001.jpg

And now going to NWU3s:

nwu3.jpg

I also, in looking all this up, discovered that the dog bowl cover was done away with in 1995, 2 years after I got out. Now I am not one to harp on how easy the newer generations have it, but good ****ing god, no dogbowl, no ugly ass dungs, no boondockers...

The pissing away of the tax payers money with this constant changing of uniforms that the military as a whole has been doing needs to stop.

The Navys NWU1s have been around what about six years and are already being fazed out. I guarantee that the Navy spends millions of dollars deciding what uniform to change to. Why they ever thought a blue camo uniform was a good idea is beyond me.

Not that the Army is much better. Our ACU uniforms are a joke and not only blended in with virtually nothing and for horribly and looked extremely unprofessional but fell apart very quickly and if you got them dirty once they never really came clean. All great things for a field combat uniform.

The folks responsible need to start being held accountable for these crappy decisions. Even if they have already moved on to a different billet.

Eight years after spending $5 billion on a heavily-criticized universal camouflage pattern, the Army is back at the drawing board looking for a new design that’s estimated to cost another $4 billion.
The Army?s $5 billion New Uniform Already Being Replaced - The Daily Beast

Improving the military is hard, changing their uniforms is easy.

Expensive though, I think it is time to tell these yokels that they need to knock off the "leaving their mark" by way of uniform changes. And when they do make a change make sure the new ones work before you do anything else, we have had too many cases of bad camouflage and bad materials (like the pants that could not take 30 days of wear without putting a hole in the crotch). I dont trust these people anymore, too many bad choices, too much money wasted, to much time wasted on the trivial as our military falls apart.

This was kinda a shock to me. Not that the navy was changing working uniforms, but that it had already changed them more than once since I got out. When I was in, it was dungarees:

I also, in looking all this up, discovered that the dog bowl cover was done away with in 1995, 2 years after I got out. Now I am not one to harp on how easy the newer generations have it, but good ****ing god, no dogbowl, no ugly ass dungs, no boondockers...

No Dogbowl? That's damned near un-American!!

View attachment 67205243

View attachment 67205244

Then NWU1s:

View attachment 67205245

And now going to NWU3s:

View attachment 67205246

Yeah, I don't like the idea at all: it's tryin to make Marines outta them. The new duty wear are called "digitals" apparently. I don't even think they use undress blues anymore. Many years ago, the navy tried to change the enlisted uniforms to the officer's blues, just, like the chiefs, and 80% of the fleet ****canned the idea. I'm shocked that they let this mess go through.

What was your rate?

View attachment 67205243

View attachment 67205244

Then NWU1s:

View attachment 67205245

And now going to NWU3s:

View attachment 67205246

Must be hard to hide amongst the trees on ship

The pissing away of the tax payers money with this constant changing of uniforms that the military as a whole has been doing needs to stop.

The Navys NWU1s have been around what about six years and are already being fazed out. I guarantee that the Navy spends millions of dollars deciding what uniform to change to. Why they ever thought a blue camo uniform was a good idea is beyond me.

Not that the Army is much better. Our ACU uniforms are a joke and not only blended in with virtually nothing and for horribly and looked extremely unprofessional but fell apart very quickly and if you got them dirty once they never really came clean. All great things for a field combat uniform.

The folks responsible need to start being held accountable for these crappy decisions. Even if they have already moved on to a different billet.

Some Senators brother in law just happens to be in upper management at the factory that makes those Uniforms.

View attachment 67205243

View attachment 67205244

Then NWU1s:

View attachment 67205245

And now going to NWU3s:

View attachment 67205246

I got out just before blueberries. I never wore the "Working Khakis". I had a my Johnny Cash's, my dress and working whites, the Cracker jacks and my favorite, coveralls. Best Uniform at sea.

Now they're gonna look like jarheads... tsk tsk

Damn, I actually liked the blue camo. I really need to quit wasting time and buy the boots so I can wear my OCP already.

View attachment 67205243

View attachment 67205244

Then NWU1s:

View attachment 67205245

And now going to NWU3s:

View attachment 67205246

The navy is like all the other branches, everyone had to be unique, and all wanted different uniforms. The nwu blues looked good in a formation, but were utterly useless in combat zones. The navy that were stationed in my landlocked base in afghanistan either wore dcu's which the rest of the military ditched years ago, or army acu's. The air force often wore army acu's because their abu's were not very battle ready.

The navy and the air force both end up in combat zones, but I do not understand why they need a new uniform, they are authorized to wear other branches combat uniforms in land combat, and in garrison there is no use for the navy to need camo.

Ofcourse the navy has been hogwild on unifroms forever. I remember my father had an entire walk in closet filled with uniforms. He had his work uniforms, bdu's dcu's combat boots, flight deck boots, dress boots etc. He also had his summer and winter crackerjacks.

camojncouch.jpg

The funny things camo blends in with. We used to joke around because the army would bring in white and grey gravel to every fob and base. The joke was the army could not make ucp camo blend into their surroundings, so their made their surroundings blend into ucp. Seems the navy had the same idea.

I didn't mind the blue NWUs but man were they hot. When you are working topside in south GA all day it got pretty nasty. Hopefully the new version will be a little lighter and breath a little bit more.

I still don't understand what was wrong with the original BDU pattern that required replacing anyway.

I didn't mind the blue NWUs but man were they hot. When you are working topside in south GA all day it got pretty nasty. Hopefully the new version will be a little lighter and breath a little bit more.

Try working the flight deck in the gulf. 100 degrees, and we are wearing long sleeved turtle neck sweaters. The racoon tans where kinda cool tho.

I dont get why anyone not in the field is wearing camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't understand what was wrong with the original BDU pattern that required replacing anyway.

It was not unique. The bdu was used by all branches, they just used different patches and arrangments, and the marines got different hats. Every branch wanted their own uniform, which cost a crapload of money and over a decade later is still costing even more money.

The best advantage of the bdu/dcu patterns were that gear could be transferred among different branches, making logistics simpler. Now if we want to build a rucksack, we need to build it in 4 different camo patterns, and everytime they switch patters, they need to make them again, multiply this times all gear.

We had enough issues with gear in iraq and afghanistan, where army and marines would go into battle with desert pattern, but with forest pattern helm and vest, and often with black boots due to shortages.

They're not.

I wasn't in, but I spent a lot of June and July of this year in the NWU Type 3s for a TV show. SE NC.

Back
Top Bottom