• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navalny Poisoning Shows EU Must Open Its Eyes About Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Latvian Prime Minister: Navalny Poisoning Shows EU Must Open Its Eyes About Russia

21030B54-BDC9-439E-89ED-2ABD782008F6_w408_r1.jpg

9/13/20
Latvian Prime Minister Krisjanis Karins says the poisoning of Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny shows that the European Union must get more realistic about its dealings with Russia. "What still has to happen to see that this is a Russia that is dangerous for Europe and for our European values?” Karins said in an interview published on September 13 by German broadcaster ARD. "We must finally open our eyes." Karins said targeted sanctions under consideration by the EU are only symbolic, and therefore is reiterating his call for Germany to stop the Nord Stream 2 pipeline project. Other Eastern European countries -- Poland, Estonia, and Lithuania -- are pressing for a halt to the project, and Karins said since the Navalny poisoning, it’s no longer possible to ignore these calls. Latvia believes that Russia's motive is to increase German dependence on Russian natural gas, Karins said, accusing Moscow of using Europe's reliance on gas as a political weapon. Berlin has been facing increasing calls for a sharper response to the poisoning. Some opposition politicians have called for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline to be canceled.

The United States opposes the project on the grounds that it strengthens the Kremlin's grip on the European energy market and punishes Ukraine, which is battling Russia-backed separatists in its eastern provinces. European vessels laying the pipeline halted their work in December following the first round of U.S. sanctions that specifically targeted their activity. Russia is hoping to complete it using its own ships, but the United States has taken steps to stop that by widening the sanctions beyond vessels to any company working on the project. Navalny remains in a hospital in Berlin after German doctors concluded “without doubt” that he was poisoned with a military nerve agent from the Soviet-designed Novichok group. The 44-year-old anti-corruption campaigner was flown to Germany on August 22, two days after falling ill on a flight in Siberia.

NS-2 is too divisive in the West and needs to be deep-sixed.

I resent the insinuation that Russia is incompetent. If they want you dead, you will die. Like that guy who had polonium for lunch.
I wish the US learned how to take care of its enemies...

Oh, wait, the US knows that very well except that it's not with polonium or Novichok but cruise missiles and smart bombs. Unhappily, those are still unable to distinguish between the targeted terrorists and their kids and wives.

Maybe we should follow the Russians and start using polonium and Novichok for their targeting precision. No collateral damage. I love that term, "collateral damage". It sounds so nice.

I resent the insinuation that Russia is incompetent.

No one here cares what you resent.

Further, no one knows if the Kremlin wanted Navalny dead or merely incapacitated and perhaps in a vegetative state.

'The fact that it happened again made me feel that it could happen again any time and I believe that they feel they can get away with almost anything.' - Novichok survivor Charlie Rowley.

He's right. The Putin government is a murderous regime.

Back
Top Bottom