• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Natural gas prices, supply signal expensive winter heating bills

Hay Chainsawmassacre it has been almost a whole week and I see you still can't answer the few simple questions I asked and you still can't back up some of the stuff you stated with any links
STILL WAITING
Have a nice evening

Hay Chainsawmassacre it has been almost a whole week and I see you still can't answer the few simple questions I asked and you still can't back up some of the stuff you stated with any links
STILL WAITING
Have a nice ev

Hay Chainsawmassacre it has been OVER a week and I see you still can't answer the few simple questions I asked and you still can't back up some of the stuff you stated with any links STILL WAITING
YES still waiting
If you can't answer some simple questions just say so don't go running and and hiding
Have a nice evening

Very good. Now do you understand Shutting down all new drilling on federal lands has an impact on US oil production?
Do you understand that as wells play out every day there's less land available to drill new wells and replenish our US oil supply?

This isn't rocket science. It's simple math.
STILL WAITING

Chainsawmassacre

I never said stopping drilling on Federal land wouldn't effect supply. ( it won't right away and if some other President doesn't change that policy I am sure it would but I bet there will be one that does and it wouldn't be for some time )
MY point that I have been trying to get through your thick skull has been Biden stopping new permits and fracking on Federal land has nothing to do with oil prices going up in the time he has been in office. as people on here have implied
Just like people on here implying Biden has shut down all new drilling in the US when he hasn't it is only on Federal lands
and as for there being " Less land " to drill on yes there is.
But lets see something like 28 % of all land in the US is federal land that leaves 72% of the rest of the US they can drill on ( and at least for Natural gas wells they can drill on in a persons back yard
I know I have one just out side my land and a friend of mine has one right in her front yard )
IF you would have looked at the maps I posted you would have see just how much land in oil producing states is NOT federal land and can be used for Drilling ( almost all of TX and OK )
Land that Biden has NOT stopped giving out permits to drill and frack on.
Most of TX/ OK/ and many more oil producing states including Alaska
In Alaska alone there is almost as many open acres of land to drill on as there is in all of TX
TX total of 168 Million acres of land in Alaska there are 142 Million acres of land open for drilling
that is just about 26 million acres less then ALL the land in TX
and when the time comes when we really need to drill for oil and there isn't any other place to drill the Gov. will open the other millions of acres of land in Alaska and other places
Have a nice day
These people buy into right wing propaganda. Your facts won’t work on them

These people buy into right wing propaganda. Your facts won’t work on them
Yes I know I just wanted him to give me an answer or admit he can't
and as we can see He can't and doesn't have the balls to admit he is wrong
have a nice night

Buy a new 96% efficient gas furnace

Biden will blame it on the hurricane but the truth is prices were already soaring and will now skyrocket because of Biden's poor energy policies.

"Currently, natural gas supplies in storage are 16.8% below year-ago levels and 7.2% below the five-year average"

"The U.S. in recent years has been less reliant on Gulf of Mexico gas production because of fracking and the shale gas revolution. Shale production of natural gas was a historic game-changer as we went from a country that couldn't produce enough to meet our own needs to become the biggest producer in the world. Our increased production of natural gas also dramatically lowered our greenhouse gas emissions as the US was able to replace dirty coal plants with much cleaner-burning natural gas.

Under President Trump U.S. natural gas production grew by 10.0 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2018, an 11% increase from 2017. The growth was the largest annual increase in production on record, reaching a record high for the second consecutive year.

Yet but the anti-drilling campaign by the Biden administration and the desire to push more natural gas production offshore created a situation where U.S. production is stagnant as opposed to growing. Natural gas production fell to 91.7 billion cubic feet in the first half of this year. As a result, natural gas future prices have risen 94% since President Biden was inaugurated. That is the biggest surge in natural gas prices going back to the year 2000. "

Actually the huge increase in nat gas prices is due to reduced supply because production was cut during covid and companies have not increased it again so supplies are low. Plus the prices have been bid up by hedge funds full of the 1%'s money that increase costs to americans on commodities we all use. Yet another example of how the excess capital of the wealthy hurts everyday Americans. This behavior will not stop until we do something about the income disparity that is crippling our economy.

Home heating sticker shock: The cost of natural gas is up 180%

So why have natural gas prices gone up so sharply? The central problem is that while economic activity bounced back, natural gas production did not. That means demand is coming back faster than supply, forcing prices to go higher.
After years of losing money, natural gas producers have been cautious about ramping up production. Storage levels in the Lower 48 US states are slightly below normal, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
Demand was further boosted by heatwaves across the country this summer. Hot temperatures drove up air conditioning usage and electricity demand.

US supplies have been whittled down further by strong demand from overseas amid high international prices. US exports of liquefied natural gas are expected to average 9.6 billion cubic feet per day this year, up 48% from a year ago, according to the EIA.
And then there's the role of hedge funds and other big money traders on Wall Street. Yawger said speculators jumped in to bid natural gas prices higher when they realized storage levels were unusually low.

"It's been a perfect storm, with specs jumping in to take full advantage of this. It's spec nirvana," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/business/natural-gas-inflation/index.html

Actually the huge increase in nat gas prices is due to reduced supply because production was cut during covid and companies have not increased it again so supplies are low. Plus the prices have been bid up by hedge funds full of the 1%'s money that increase costs to americans on commodities we all use. Yet another example of how the excess capital of the wealthy hurts everyday Americans. This behavior will not stop until we do something about the income disparity that is crippling our economy.

Home heating sticker shock: The cost of natural gas is up 180%

So why have natural gas prices gone up so sharply? The central problem is that while economic activity bounced back, natural gas production did not. That means demand is coming back faster than supply, forcing prices to go higher.
After years of losing money, natural gas producers have been cautious about ramping up production. Storage levels in the Lower 48 US states are slightly below normal, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
Demand was further boosted by heatwaves across the country this summer. Hot temperatures drove up air conditioning usage and electricity demand.

US supplies have been whittled down further by strong demand from overseas amid high international prices. US exports of liquefied natural gas are expected to average 9.6 billion cubic feet per day this year, up 48% from a year ago, according to the EIA.
And then there's the role of hedge funds and other big money traders on Wall Street. Yawger said speculators jumped in to bid natural gas prices higher when they realized storage levels were unusually low.

"It's been a perfect storm, with specs jumping in to take full advantage of this. It's spec nirvana," he said.

First thing Biden did was to reverse all Trumps pro energy policies. The results were immediate and drastic.

Obviously you only read the parts that fit your narrative.That's SOP for the left.

natural gas future prices have risen 94% since President Biden was inaugurated. That is the biggest surge in natural gas prices going back to the year 2000. "

"The U.S. in recent years has been less reliant on Gulf of Mexico gas production because of fracking and the shale gas revolution. Shale production of natural gas was a historic game-changer as we went from a country that couldn't produce enough to meet our own needs to become the biggest producer in the world."

Prices for NG were already up 94% due to Bidens enegy policy.

If Biden hadn't stopped fracking on federal lands we would not be so dependent on gulf oil ravged by the hurricane.

Get it now?
Natural gas futures. This has nothing to do with Biden; 'futures' are stock market driven. Biden does not control stock markets.

Natural gas futures. This has nothing to do with Biden; 'futures' are stock market driven. Biden does not control stock markets.
And futures rose due to Bidens anti energy policies. Investors forecast shortages based on that.

First thing Biden did was to reverse all Trumps pro energy policies. The results were immediate and drastic.
What policies were those? Drilling and fracking on public land will not help the shortages of natural gas.

What policies were those? Drilling and fracking on public land will not help the shortages of natural gas.
for one thing Chainsawmassacre can't see that gas prices didn't go up because of what Biden did but because Trump was pressured by the Big oil Companies to talk to Russia and the Saudis to cut their production , stop the price war ( a price war a year ago that drove prices down so far they were almost giving oil away ) and get oil prices back up to where the oil companies can make money drilling and pumping oil from their wells
Stopping new drilling and fracking on FEDERAL land has little effect on oil prices going up as fast as they did since Biden has been in office
all the oil wells that were already drilled , even the ones they started to drill on federal land before Biden took over were finished and are still producing oil. Biden didn't stop them from pumping oil on Federal lands
and most of all the OIL PRODUCING states in the west , south west. don't have much Federal lands in them any ways
most of these Federal lands are up in Alaska , and it is a good part of the state, but there is an area the size of TX that is open for drilling up there
besides a lot of that land up there would be difficult to even drill on even if they let them
All Chainsawmassacre wants to do is Blame Biden for everything
as I said Trump was forced by the oil Co to talk Russia and the Saudi's and got them to stop their price war and that helped drive oil and gas prices up
Have a nice day

One more thing Chainsawmassacre doesn't seem to know that the Marcellus Natural gas fields and in fact most of the natural gas fields are NOT on Federal lands
the Marcellus field one of the biggest natural gas fields in the world , that is basically a new field is not on Federal lands and can be fracked in just about every state it is in except NY
Biden's PO didn't effect it at all
Have a nice day

One more thing Chainsawmassacre doesn't seem to know that the Marcellus Natural gas fields and in fact most of the natural gas fields are NOT on Federal lands
the Marcellus field one of the biggest natural gas fields in the world , that is basically a new field is not on Federal lands and can be fracked in just about every state it is in except NY
Biden's PO didn't effect it at all
Have a nice day
The we have the one term mistakes push for natural gas exports which are now making prices even higher. We built billions in LNG infrastructure to export nat gas to europe and now those exports are depriving Americans of affordable heat. He was warned that this would happen too, America first my ass.

Trump Push for Natural Gas Exports Opposed by Manufacturers

Aug. 16, 2017
The Industrial Energy Consumers of America wants a moratorium on U.S. approvals for liquefied natural gas projects saying that exporting more natural gas may undercut Trump's “America First” jobs focus.

https://www.industryweek.com/techno...-natural-gas-exports-opposed-by-manufacturers

Biden will blame it on the hurricane but the truth is prices were already soaring and will now skyrocket because of Biden's poor energy policies.

"Currently, natural gas supplies in storage are 16.8% below year-ago levels and 7.2% below the five-year average"

"The U.S. in recent years has been less reliant on Gulf of Mexico gas production because of fracking and the shale gas revolution. Shale production of natural gas was a historic game-changer as we went from a country that couldn't produce enough to meet our own needs to become the biggest producer in the world. Our increased production of natural gas also dramatically lowered our greenhouse gas emissions as the US was able to replace dirty coal plants with much cleaner-burning natural gas.

Under President Trump U.S. natural gas production grew by 10.0 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2018, an 11% increase from 2017. The growth was the largest annual increase in production on record, reaching a record high for the second consecutive year.

Yet but the anti-drilling campaign by the Biden administration and the desire to push more natural gas production offshore created a situation where U.S. production is stagnant as opposed to growing. Natural gas production fell to 91.7 billion cubic feet in the first half of this year. As a result, natural gas future prices have risen 94% since President Biden was inaugurated. That is the biggest surge in natural gas prices going back to the year 2000. "

As soon as Biden began his campaign against fossil fuels this was inevitable. Biden is not declaring war on carbon, he has declared war on the American people.

As soon as Biden began his campaign against fossil fuels this was inevitable. Biden is not declaring war on carbon, he has declared war on the American people.
Yes ignore the fact that were are exporting more natural gas because of Trump and it is driving up prices. America first my ass and you still support that liar.

51009913-16127995820886512.jpg

Yes ignore the fact that were are exporting more natural gas because of Trump and it is driving up prices. America first my ass and you still support that liar.

51009913-16127995820886512.jpg
Because you have no understanding of economics, you do not realize everything in the energy industry is related. These are world markets and when you restrict the supply of one energy source, you put pressure on other sources. Prices increase and demand with it. Biden's policies are hurting Americans and that fact is undeniable. He has declared war against the American people in everything he does.

Because you have no understanding of economics, you do not realize everything in the energy industry is related. These are world markets and when you restrict the supply of one energy source, you put pressure on other sources. Prices increase and demand with it. Biden's policies are hurting Americans and that fact is undeniable. He has declared war against the American people in everything he does.
So you support increasing our exports of Natural gas so other countries can have the benefit of our resources while Americans are deprived? That is what the one term mistake believed because he never gave a hoot about the American people. It's good to see that you agree, At least you are consistent.

Aug. 16, 2017
The Industrial Energy Consumers of America wants a moratorium on U.S. approvals for liquefied natural gas projects saying that exporting more natural gas may undercut Trump's “America First” jobs focus.

https://www.industryweek.com/techno...-natural-gas-exports-opposed-by-manufacturers

So you support increasing our exports of Natural gas so other countries can have the benefit of our resources while Americans are deprived? That is what the one term mistake believed because he never gave a hoot about the American people. It's good to see that you agree, At least you are consistent.

Aug. 16, 2017

Exactly who in America is being deprived? I know I sure as hell am not being deprived, my home is on natural gas and it is both plentiful and inexpensive, not as inexpensive as when Trump was President, but still very affordable. There is a law in business known as economy of scale. It says that the larger an industry is, the less it costs to produce. When government steps in and tries to reduce the size of industry for political reasons the costs of business rise and the people suffer. Like I said, Biden and the Democrats have declared war on the American people on all fronts to attempt to seize tyrannical power...

Exactly who in America is being deprived? I know I sure as hell am not being deprived, my home is on natural gas and it is both plentiful and inexpensive, not as inexpensive as when Trump was President, but still very affordable. There is a law in business known as economy of scale. It says that the larger an industry is, the less it costs to produce. When government steps in and tries to reduce the size of industry for political reasons the costs of business rise and the people suffer. Like I said, Biden and the Democrats have declared war on the American people on all fronts to attempt to seize tyrannical power...
LOL You are in for a shock this winter. The law of supply and demand means the more gas we sell overseas the more you will pay here for it.

Home heating sticker shock: The cost of natural gas is up 180%​

New York (CNN Business)Americans should brace for sticker shock on home heating costs as temperatures drop this fall and winter.
Prices for natural gas, the most common way to heat homes and a leading fuel source for generating electricity, have surged more than 180% over the past 12 months to $5.90 per million British thermal units. Natural gas hasn't been this expensive since February 2014.

The risk is that an early winter or extremely cold fall temperatures will force households to crank up the heat. That would further shrink the nation's below-average stockpiles of natural gas and could lift prices even higher.

NG is largely a byproduct of oil production
No it is not. Some is but far from most. Propane is a byproduct of oil refining though.

Where is natural gas found?

In some places, natural gas moved into large cracks and spaces between layers of overlying rock. The natural gas found in these types of formations is sometimes called conventional natural gas. In other places, natural gas occurs in the tiny pores (spaces) within some formations of shale, sandstone, and other types of sedimentary rock. This natural gas is referred to as shale gas or tight gas, and it is sometimes called unconventional natural gas. Natural gas also occurs with deposits of crude oil, and this natural gas is called associated natural gas. Natural gas deposits are found on land, and some are offshore and deep under the ocean floor. A type of natural gas found in coal deposits is called coalbed methane.

LOL You are in for a shock this winter. The law of supply and demand means the more gas we sell overseas the more you will pay here for it.

Home heating sticker shock: The cost of natural gas is up 180%​

New York (CNN Business)Americans should brace for sticker shock on home heating costs as temperatures drop this fall and winter.
Prices for natural gas, the most common way to heat homes and a leading fuel source for generating electricity, have surged more than 180% over the past 12 months to $5.90 per million British thermal units. Natural gas hasn't been this expensive since February 2014.

The risk is that an early winter or extremely cold fall temperatures will force households to crank up the heat. That would further shrink the nation's below-average stockpiles of natural gas and could lift prices even higher.

Really CNN? You might as well give us a quote from the Onion.

No it is not. Some is but far from most. Propane is a byproduct of oil refining though.

Where is natural gas found?

In some places, natural gas moved into large cracks and spaces between layers of overlying rock. The natural gas found in these types of formations is sometimes called conventional natural gas. In other places, natural gas occurs in the tiny pores (spaces) within some formations of shale, sandstone, and other types of sedimentary rock. This natural gas is referred to as shale gas or tight gas, and it is sometimes called unconventional natural gas. Natural gas also occurs with deposits of crude oil, and this natural gas is called associated natural gas. Natural gas deposits are found on land, and some are offshore and deep under the ocean floor. A type of natural gas found in coal deposits is called coalbed methane.
Anyone who does not know the NG is a byproduct of drilling for oil is completly ignorant of the subject. LOL The increase in the costs of natural gas are in large part due to the same things that are wrecking the rest of the economy. Lack of labor due to idiotic government free money programs. Inflation due to rampant government borrowing. And shortages from everything from machinery to transportation. At a time when we should be doing everything to increase production, the idiot resident of the White House is doing everything he can to drive the country straight into the crapper.

Back
Top Bottom