• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NATO: Up to 40,000 Russian Troops Killed, Wounded, Taken Prisoner or Missing in Ukraine

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
NATO says that up to 40,000 Russian troops have been killed, wounded, taken prisoner or are missing in Ukraine, said a senior military official from the alliance.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization calculates the figure based on information provided by Ukrainian authorities and information obtained from Russia--both officially and unintentionally, the official said.

NATO estimates that between 7,000 and 15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed since the invasion began on Feb. 24. Using statistical averages from past conflicts that for every casualty roughly three soldiers are wounded, NATO analysts reach their total figure.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/ru...n-ukraine-nato-estimates-xyZjWxinMDHzdeRZvAeD

All I can say about that is WOW. The Ukraine army is kicking their butt bad. I wonder how that will play back in Russia? Does that even take into account the number of frostbite ridden soldiers that are out of action because they were not given sufficient equipment to withstand weeks in outside in the cold?

If that's accurate, that's pretty high for what's supposed to be "special operations". What makes that number easier to believe is the slow crawl of Russian troops and their inability to take any of the major cities thus far. Mariupol looks to be the first one, but I'm sure once soldiers move in the insurgency there begins.

The numbers are likely:
7,000 killed
25,000 wounded
the balance captured or missing.

If that's accurate, that's pretty high for what's supposed to be "special operations". What makes that number easier to believe is the slow crawl of Russian troops and their inability to take any of the major cities thus far. Mariupol looks to be the first one, but I'm sure once soldiers move in the insurgency there begins.
I heard that 7K is on the vary low end, and it's more likely to be 10 to 12K KIA

Putin has managed to create an equivalent decade-long ill conceived military invasion in the space of a single month in Ukraine. Outstanding! Hope he has enough bandages to cover his exposed ass.

I heard that 7K is on the vary low end, and it's more likely to be 10 to 12K KIA
I doubt that. If those numbers were true there would a) much more progress in peace talks, and b) a complete collapse in combat capabilities and cohesion in multiple theaters which there has not been any signs of yet.

Much better explanation of what's going on:

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for giving the free world this once-in-a-generation opportunity to completely destroy the Russian military and set their capabilities back by a couple decades, at minimal cost to ourselves.

Sucks for Ukraine though.

Much better explanation of what's going on:

I wondered how long it would take for you to show up and push your Russian propaganda.

Tell me do you think you are fooling anyone

Watch the young soldiers face…and if the minister’s comments are for real….🤷

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for giving the free world this once-in-a-generation opportunity to completely destroy the Russian military and set their capabilities back by a couple decades, at minimal cost to ourselves.

What's got to smart for him is watching his military struggling in the way it is because I can't imagine the current state of this conflict the one he envisioned. Putin is one who likes to project strength, and while none of the NATO nations have engaged Russia directly, the set backs exposed some serious weaknesses in terms of logistical and military planning.

Even if you take the low-end estimates, this is an absolute disaster for Russia. A lot of soldiers are going to go back home to Russia and tell their friends and family what really happened in Ukraine.

NATO says that up to 40,000 Russian troops have been killed, wounded, taken prisoner or are missing in Ukraine, said a senior military official from the alliance.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization calculates the figure based on information provided by Ukrainian authorities and information obtained from Russia--both officially and unintentionally, the official said.

NATO estimates that between 7,000 and 15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed since the invasion began on Feb. 24. Using statistical averages from past conflicts that for every casualty roughly three soldiers are wounded, NATO analysts reach their total figure.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/ru...n-ukraine-nato-estimates-xyZjWxinMDHzdeRZvAeD

All I can say about that is WOW. The Ukraine army is kicking their butt bad. I wonder how that will play back in Russia? Does that even take into account the number of frostbite ridden soldiers that are out of action because they were not given sufficient equipment to withstand weeks in outside in the cold?
That would amount to a "loss rate" of in excess of 20%.

That's hardly the highest "loss rate" that the Russian armies have suffered while continuing to fight, but I rather suspect that it is the highest when they were not "defending the Motherland".

The Russian military runs on "dumbjohn conscripts". Those are actually quite easy to replace.

What would be MUCH more interesting to know is the percentages of the well trained and professional cadre of the Russian army that Russia is losing.

Some of those Russian deaths are from their own because if you fall or question tactics they are shot where they stand

Some of those Russian deaths are from their own because if you fall or question tactics they are shot where they stand
And the opposite is supposedly true. There was an article floating around here the other day about Russian soldiers running over their commanding officer with a tank because of loses incurred by their unit.

I still call BS on that. Esp. on 40,000. IMO that's got to be wishful thinking, propaganda.

From yesterday:
...I still have a hard time believing this isnt propaganda. 7,000 is a lot of dead Russians.

From your link: "The American officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss operational matters, caution that their numbers of Russian troop deaths are inexact, compiled through analysis of the news media, Ukrainian figures (which tend to be high, with the latest at 13,500), Russian figures (which tend to be low, with the latest at 498), satellite imagery and careful perusal of video images of Russian tanks and troops that come under fire."

I mean, look at the huge difference in what Ukraine and Russia published. Basically, the anonymous "American officials" just picked a number smack in the middle.

link

They aren't special operations, the invasion itself is being called a special (in this case unique) military operation.

I said from the beginning that Russia is a paper tiger... they are the modern Italy of WWII.

A joke.

It's probably on the higher end of that range given a pro-Russian tabloid leaked casualty figures that articulated 10k deaths a week ago.

Strange how the chorus of "Romney was right" has disappeared lately when our biggest threat lost 7,000 soldiers in one month (minimum) .

I said from the beginning that Russia is a paper tiger... they are the modern Italy of WWII.

A joke.
Russia has always been weak and they prey on the weak. A sad excuse for a country.

If you think that that is wide-spread, then you are thinking of WWII. Right now the Russian Army is suffering from a severe shortage of "Commissars".

Back
Top Bottom