• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NATO Seeks Asia-Pacific Support to Thwart Russia-China Alliance

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So NATO wants to take on China, does it? What did they do back in the 1950s & 1960s about Communist China? Not much - I guess they didn't think China was advanced enough to pose a threat back then.
Their belated awakening seems like it's just for show.

NATO Seeks Asia-Pacific Support to Thwart Russia-China Alliance

Foreign ministers want united front to discourage Beijing's war assistance
https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%252Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%252Fimages%252F4%252F7%252F0%252F3%252F39813074-4-eng-GB%252FCropped-1649181989photo.JPG

A Latvian Army soldier walks with the NATO flag. NATO nations are worried that China's assistance will help prolong Russia's war in Ukraine. © Reuters
YASUO TAKEUCHI, Nikkei staff writerApril 6, 2022 03:00 JST
BRUSSELS -- NATO foreign ministers will meet with their counterparts from the Asia-Pacific this week, seeking to gain their cooperation in deepening the economic and diplomatic isolation of Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

So NATO wants to take on China, does it? What did they do back in the 1950s & 1960s about Communist China? Not much - I guess they didn't think China was advanced enough to pose a threat back then.

I thought righties hated China. Have they shifted to appeasing China all of a sudden?

It was self-defeatingly stupid when that criminal/corrupt bastard tore up the TPP just to spite the first black president. We and everyone aligned with us needs to build up more agreements like that.

Blind partisanship. You made par. Hope you yelled "fore!" before posting. It's polite.

I thought righties hated China. Have they shifted to appeasing China all of a sudden?

He's "cleverly" trying to split the difference.

True, many of them don't seem to care about doing shit like saying Russia is our greatest geopolitical foe, then backing a guy who trusts Russia over our own people and calls its criminal invasion of Ukraine "genius."

When it comes to China, sanman does genuinely seem to be trying to split the difference, trying to position himself to still say that China is a threat while nonetheless smearing a favorite Trump tartget, NATO. Which doesn't really work. But doggone it, he's going to try.

Since when is NATO "a favorite Trump target"? Ohh, because he asked for NATO partners to pay their fair share, that amounts to targeting or undermining NATO?
Actually, that amounts to helping NATO stay strong. The fact that the NATO lobby went berserk and began supporting a Russia collusion narrative says everything about how fanatical and aggressive that lobby is.

Since when is NATO "a favorite Trump target"? Ohh, because he asked for NATO partners to pay their fair share, that amounts to targeting or undermining NATO?
Actually, that amounts to helping NATO stay strong. The fact that the NATO lobby went berserk and began supporting a Russia collusion narrative says everything about how fanatical and aggressive that lobby is.

All: notice how sanman chose not to quote me so that I'd only see this - a direct response to what I said, not some further rumination unconnected to it other than sharing a subject - if I just so happened to check the thread again? How, if I didn't, his response would be left sitting there and it would look like I'd been *gotten* and slunk off?

That's why I put "cleverly" in quotes when describing his posting strategy.

At any rate, sanman, Trumpist gaslighting only seems to work on Trumpists. There's no one left to be duped with it. NATO is a favorite Trump target, and everyone who was both awake and not a Trumpist for the last several years knows it.

The simple reality is that your miserable bastard did stuff like tear up the exact kind of agreement we need to build up, both alone and with alliances like NATO, to counter-balance China. What's your dutiful response? Smear NATO when it tries to do more of the kind of thing we need to do to counter-balance China.

It's too damn stupid to work on anyone who hasn't already drank the cool-aid.

Other than kill a couple hundred thousand Chinese troops and prevent an invasion of Taiwan, you mean?

Yes because as we all know any one random member who claims to be from a certain party speaks for all of that party.

Yes because as we all know any one random member who claims to be from a certain party speaks for all of that party.

So let's see that opposition to the OP from righties. I'm waiting.

Other than kill a couple hundred thousand Chinese troops and prevent an invasion of Taiwan, you mean?

I don't know how NATO would be able to fight China -- by writing letter with lots of italics?

Or maybe they can take Article V and fold it into a little paper boat, to sail into the Taiwan Straits or the South China Sea?

Back
Top Bottom