• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NATO Must Welcome Ukraine

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Let Ukraine In

After suffering embarrassing defeats in the past couple of months, Vladimir Putin is doubling down on his war. He is rearming, resupplying, and repositioning Russian forces for a major new onslaught in eastern Ukraine. Even if his troops are finally able to dislodge Ukraine’s, however, that’s unlikely to be enough to satisfy him. He may agree to a cease-fire or a negotiation to give his military time to regroup. But as long as Putin is in power, Russia will continue to do whatever it can to reverse the post–Cold War settlement that has animated Putin ever since the Soviet Union collapsed. At the same time, the United States and its NATO allies are speeding up delivery of heavier weapons to help Ukraine withstand the coming Russian onslaught, if not actually win the war. There is a larger question that both sides, particularly the West, will need to address soon, though: What happens to Ukraine once the fighting slows or the war stops? The answer is straightforward: For Ukraine to be truly free and independent, it will have to be a member of the European Union and NATO. Although Moscow will no doubt object, Putin’s brutal aggression makes clear that only European countries that are members of NATO can be truly secure. And NATO should welcome Ukraine into the fold.

Ironically, Moscow’s unprovoked aggression is proof that its long-standing complaint about NATO moving too close to its borders was little more than a convenient excuse for its revisionist aims. The alliance posed no threat to Russia, and prior to the war, President Joe Biden and other NATO leaders made clear that they would not come to Ukraine’s defense. Putin invaded Ukraine ostensibly because NATO was moving too close to Russia’s borders and threatened its security. That argument never held any water. But even if it did, the invasion of Ukraine has brought NATO still closer to Russia’s borders. The alliance is set to permanently station large numbers of troops on its eastern frontier. Finland, which shares an 830-mile border with Russia, will join NATO, as will Sweden. And Ukraine, which prior to the invasion faced the longest odds of ever joining NATO, might well enter the alliance after all. Few modern leaders have miscalculated as badly as the Russian president has. Ukraine’s acceptance into NATO would represent the final defeat of his failed strategy.

Ultimately, there is not much that Russia can do to prevent Ukraine from entering the EU and/or NATO.

NATO cannot bring Ukraine into the fold - it is vital that Ukraine remain a neutral state.

If Ukraine were to join NATO, then the US would immediately install military bases, and that would mean that the US would be right on Russia's doorstep.

This obviously would be disastrous with regards to security and stability in Europe, which of course is NATO's primary objective.

Seems like Ukraine lost interest in joining NATO.

A dishonest appraisal.

Zelenskyy said he would not embrace NATO if declaring this would stop the bloodshed.

Minus the invasion, Zelenskyy is still right there in regards to joining NATO

A dishonest appraisal.

Zelenskyy said he would not embrace NATO if declaring this would stop the bloodshed.

Minus the invasion, Zelenskyy is still right there in regards to joining NATO
So, Zelensky stating he is, "no longer pressing for NATO membership" is a firm commitment to join NATO. Got it.

So, Zelensky stating he is, "no longer pressing for NATO membership" is a firm commitment to join NATO. Got it.

You do get it, but that's not your shtick. Either you're a sideline fan of Russia, or you are an anti-West individual.

Many of your posts are constructed to diminish the US, the West, NATO, or Ukraine. Far too often to just be an anomaly.

Abolish NATO before it's too late!

1650566892404.png

Abolish an aggressive Russia and then NATO can be dismantled.

But until then, no way Jose.

Ukraine will not be welcomed into NATO because accepting Ukraine into the alliance during its war with Russia will put the alliance in a state of war with Russia. There are too many European NATO member-states who will reject such a wreckless move. Such an acceptance flies in the face of Articles 1 and 2 of the treaty which say that NATO's purpose is to prevent wars, not join wars in progress. Ukraine must fight this war on its own with indirect Western aid only.

Be well and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

Abolish an aggressive Russia and then NATO can be dismantled.

Except a dismantled Russia places Nato at Vladivostok, looking at China. Then the next task becomes dismantling of China.

Ukraine will not be welcomed into NATO because accepting Ukraine into the alliance during its war with Russia will put the alliance in a state of war with Russia. There are too many European NATO member-states who will reject such a wreckless move. Such an acceptance flies in the face of Articles 1 and 2 of the treaty which say that NATO's purpose is to prevent wars, not join wars in progress. Ukraine must fight this war on its own with indirect Western aid only.

Be well and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

I am not so sure. Ukraine, in the heat of the moment, and with the way things are progressing, is for all intents and purposes a de facto Nato member.

Let Ukraine In

Ultimately, there is not much that Russia can do to prevent Ukraine from entering the EU and/or NATO.

At this stage of the game, if Russia finally tastes defeat, not only SHOULD Ukraine join NATO, every single country Russia has or is threatening should also join.

"De facto we're starting to wage war against NATO countries. We'll be grinding up NATO's war machine as well as citizens of NATO countries," Solovyov said.
"Not only will Ukraine have to be denazified; the war against Europe and the world is developing a more specific outline, which means we'll have to act differently, and to act much more harshly," Solovyov concluded in the clip shared on Twitter by former Swedish Prime Minister Carl Bildt, now co-chair of the European Council on Foreign Relations.

Russian State TV Talks of 'War Against Europe and the World' After Ukraine

At this stage of the game, if Russia finally tastes defeat, not only SHOULD Ukraine join NATO, every single country Russia has or is threatening should also join.

We may not be aware of it yet, but the world may actually be going through that stage at the end of which the old order is overturned and a new order ushered in. If what you suggest comes true then American dominance is complete. The Imperium stands unchallenged around the globe. Americans will find themselves masters of the known world in a way not seen since the Romans.

We may not be aware of it yet, but the world may actually be going through that stage at the end of which the old order is overturned and a new order ushered in. If what you suggest comes true then American dominance is complete. The Imperium stands unchallenged around the globe. Americans will find themselves masters of the known world in a way not seen since the Romans.
Distasteful as I find that image, I'd rather live under US rule than under Putin's. Much as I did thruout the latter half of the last century.

American?
Rumor has it the Greeks and French gave us democracy. NATO was originally formed to help stop Russian encroachment into Europe because Europeans
weren't fans of authoritarianism. Used to be from the extreme Left, now it's the extreme Right, but in the end, no matter which side of the spectrum it comes
from, Russian media has now made it clear that they have their sights set on much more than just Ukraine.
And the Russian invasion of Ukraine is seen by the free world as Russian encroachment into Europe and this week's rhetoric from official Russian media confirms it.
I realize all of that is peachy keen by you.
We're never going to agree on that.

But this is not just about America.

Funny thing how when one visits an authoritarian country and they learn you're American, it's "Okay pal, blue jean, Big Mac okay!" ... you don't hear that knee-jerk reflex in a democratic country.
I guess if you're fed an exclusive diet of blue jeans and McDonald's ads and a steady stream of old gangster and cowboy movies, you see it one way only.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I gotta put on my blue jeans, down a few Big Macs, go rustle the cattle down in the Back Forty and then go talk to Al Capone and my other gangster friends
about the streets not being paved with gold in front of my house yet.

Oh and...we're all Kardashians here, understand? When we're not being movie stars, gangsters, Flintstones and cowboys.
Oh and don't forget, we're also all Jews and ni**ers too.
Damn, hard to keep up with the prevailing status quo in Putinlandia.

NATO, Europe, the West, et al is supporting Ukraine without the need for Ukraine being part of NATO. A country, like Ukraine, Georgia, or whomever doesn't need to be part of NATO to get their and others protection when Russia is practicing such total war and territorial expansion. And the "good" powers of the world need not have to have a treaty to give a country the protection to defend against aggression.

Distasteful as I find that image, I'd rather live under US rule than under Putin's. Much as I did thruout the latter half of the last century.

Agree. Totally

Tough call. Russia/US. USSR/US.

Back
Top Bottom