• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NATO head: Trump ‘committed’ to the alliance

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

NATO head: Trump's tough talk has added $100B to alliance, helped deter Russia

Those are welcome headlines. Since we know that Trump periodically frets about us being in NATO, it's good and smart for NATO's chief to seize the opportunity to butter Trump up.

Domestically Trump is surrounded in smoldering embarrassment so this bit of positive international reinforcement may have extra weight and he might remember it at times when he otherwise might ask himself and his close advisers why we're staying in NATO.

NATO is becoming as useless as the UN, but for NATO specifically it is time to evaluate options to dealing with what Russia is now in comparison to what the USSR was then.

Those are welcome headlines. Since we know that Trump periodically frets about us being in NATO, it's good and smart for NATO's chief to seize the opportunity to butter Trump up.

Domestically Trump is surrounded in smoldering embarrassment so this bit of positive international reinforcement may have extra weight and he might remember it at times when he otherwise might ask himself and his close advisers why we're staying in NATO.

That's the feeling I get when I hear our president talking about NATO he is solidly behind it and the Iran nuclear deal and the paris climate talks too. He is so inspiring.

NATO is becoming as useless as the UN, but for NATO specifically it is time to evaluate options to dealing with what Russia is now in comparison to what the USSR was then.

Okay ..... Russia is bad and getting worse. Interfering in our elections, aggressive in the rest of the world, encouraging Trump to disengage in the rest of the world so he doesn't interfere with their accumulation of power.

Do you disagree with that?

Don't worry, the EU Army is up and running before the year is out. Now suddenly everyone can see why they need the EU project.

Last edited:

You are so anti Trump you can't see the forest for the trees.

Are we willing to go to war with Russia because they invaded Estonia, or Lithuania? The alliance commits us to do so. I guess you want us to roll into Russia's front yard in a Desert Storm infantry and tank battle against an opponent who fights back. That is bad enough to contemplate since few in America could find these countries on a map. If the other European countries were paying their fair share, that is one thing, but until recently, they weren't. They are paying more - figures I don't have, BTW.

The death toll due to American participation in battle will be high and can easily lead to a more general sub nuclear war. Oh yeah, did you know Russia feels it can use small battlefield nukes - they call them "tactical", or "sub nuclear", but a nuke is a nuke. How would the US treat such a thing? By shooting back or retreating? If NATO retreats, then they have admitted that NATO is not worth the paper it's printed on.

And as much as you want to **** on Trump, it was Obama that emboldened Russia to take Crimea, and it was Obama that ceded China control of the South China Sea via a fait accompli while he worked on getting the races at war with each other with cops as collateral damage.

The civilian ignorance of our military alliances runs deep because no one looks at maps anymore. Look at a map, and think like a Russian: "Yeah, I'd take it. America's NATO pups won't go to war over Latvia, and we'll isolate Estonia for later!" The former Soviet "buffer states" survival comes down to the USA election one more limp wristed, sniveling leftist president. Putin knows what all of the parties on the line know and don't say: NATO is more theory than fact.

The civilian ignorance of our military alliances runs deep because no one looks at maps anymore. Look at a map, and think like a Russian: "Yeah, I'd take it. America's NATO pups won't go to war over Latvia, and we'll isolate Estonia for later!" The former Soviet "buffer states" survival comes down to the USA election one more limp wristed, sniveling leftist president. Putin knows what all of the parties on the line know and don't say: NATO is more theory than fact.

Without people smartly managing Trump like the NATO head is doing, we won't have to wait for a leftist president. People like you and Trump are telling Putin to go ahead and do it. The only question is why you feel a need to insult leftists for theoretically in some future doing what you're peachy with having happen now.

Are we willing to go to war with Russia because they invaded Estonia, or Lithuania? The alliance commits us to do so. I guess you want us to roll into Russia's front yard in a Desert Storm infantry and tank battle against an opponent who fights back. That is bad enough to contemplate since few in America could find these countries on a map. If the other European countries were paying their fair share, that is one thing, but until recently, they weren't. They are paying more - figures I don't have, BTW.

The death toll due to American participation in battle will be high and can easily lead to a more general sub nuclear war. Oh yeah, did you know Russia feels it can use small battlefield nukes - they call them "tactical", or "sub nuclear", but a nuke is a nuke. How would the US treat such a thing? By shooting back or retreating? If NATO retreats, then they have admitted that NATO is not worth the paper it's printed on.

And as much as you want to **** on Trump, it was Obama that emboldened Russia to take Crimea, and it was Obama that ceded China control of the South China Sea via a fait accompli while he worked on getting the races at war with each other with cops as collateral damage.

Much more honour in defending Lithuania than Kuwait. Yanks, what side of history you wanna end up on? You're gonna let him keep Crimea (the Sudetenland), 'cause then he won't gun for the Baltic (Poland), 'cause he has no more territorial demands?

Don't get fooled by Savushkina Street's lies.

It is amazing how in just my lifetime the Republican party has gone from being rabid anti-Russian to being their water carriers and servants.

Ronald Reagan would roll over in his grave if he could see this.

Who wants to die of skull cancer?

#AvengeMccain

Not I - the way I want to go is what Redd Foxx used to describe........ die of a massive heart attack in bed on your 90th birthday on the last night of your three week honeymoon in Hawaii and leave your fortune to your beautiful thirty year old bride.

Now if I can just put the component pieces together.

Okay ..... Russia is bad and getting worse. Interfering in our elections, aggressive in the rest of the world, encouraging Trump to disengage in the rest of the world so he doesn't interfere with their accumulation of power.

Do you disagree with that?

Two different subjects.

Of course we should be suspect of Trump doing anything that could be perceived as an accommodation for Russia, and in this case what is left of NATO’s effectiveness would be compromised by US walking away from the organization.

My issue is NATO’s ability to deal with Russia, and I question how effective the organization is.

Interesting. I hadn't looked at it like that. Great play.

Without people smartly managing Trump like the NATO head is doing, we won't have to wait for a leftist president. People like you and Trump are telling Putin to go ahead and do it. The only question is why you feel a need to insult leftists for theoretically in some future doing what you're peachy with having happen now.

:roll:

Give Trump credit here. May be the only time he deserves it.

" Nato states will increase their defence spending by 100 billion dollars in response to Donald Trump's demands that European allies shoulder a greater financial burden, the alliance's secretary general has said. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...se-defence-spending-100-billion-donald-trump/

Trump gets results whether or not the Democrats and their base give him credit.

Back
Top Bottom