• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NATO: 3 U.S. Troops Killed in Afghan Insider Attack

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Such attacks occurring as 2014 nears.
Follow @TIMEWorld

(KABUL, Afghanistan) — An Afghan wearing a security forces uniform turned his weapon against U.S. troops Saturday, killing three in eastern Afghanistan, officials said, in another apparent attack by a member of the Afghan forces against their international allies.

The shooting took place in Gardez, capital of eastern Paktia province, Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, an Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman, said. The area, near the border with Pakistan, has been a front line in fighting with the Taliban and other militants.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/09/21/nato-3-u-s-troops-killed-in-afghan-insider-attack/#ixzz2faDs5eIs

This isn't surprising. The entire mid-east is a craphole.

Sad. Best thing to do is get out of this area and with a SOFA this time. How's Singapore these days?

Singapore is doing great. Thanks. We will be having the F1 here this evening. Perhaps you can watch it from there.

Singapore is doing great. Thanks. We will be having the F1 here this evening. Perhaps you can watch it from there.

My favorite city in Asia. Don't think I'll get that channel here. Have a Sling and buy a linen suit for me will ya?

My favorite city in Asia. Don't think I'll get that channel here. Have a Sling and buy a linen suit for me will ya?

Fabulous city. Yeah sure.

Such attacks occurring as 2014 nears.

Yeah, we've been there way too long for such a s***hole. Bush should have kept the pressure on there instead of starting a war in Iraq and taking the eye off the prize. Then we might have actually made a difference there.

Yeah, we've been there way too long for such a s***hole. Bush should have kept the pressure on there instead of starting a war in Iraq and taking the eye off the prize. Then we might have actually made a difference there.

Totally agree. Nation building (or maybe I should say re-building) only works if there is something to repair (e.g. Japan and Germany in the wake of WW2). You can't build a society of un-nationalized goat herders and farmers into a modern state all the while fighting an insurgency.

Totally agree. Nation building (or maybe I should say re-building) only works if there is something to repair (e.g. Japan and Germany in the wake of WW2). You can't build a society of un-nationalized goat herders and farmers into a modern state all the while fighting an insurgency.

You can't do it under any circumstances. Once the nation-building stuff starts creeping into the rhetoric, the mission is screwed.

You can't do it under any circumstances. Once the nation-building stuff starts creeping into the rhetoric, the mission is screwed.

Unless it is the mission as in the reconstruction of Germany and Japan after WW2. I suppose you're right about the rhetoric though.

Unless it is the mission as in the reconstruction of Germany and Japan after WW2. I suppose you're right about the rhetoric though.

I guess I left the there part out of my post. Afghanistan simply has nothing going for it that could support a proper nation-state. It is just the left-over parts nobody else in the region really wants.

Absolutely. In Germany and Japan they totally depended on us to avoid starvation. In Afghanistan, not so much. However it did enjoy a degree of modernity before the Soviet Invasion and Civil War, so it might have been possible to have directed parts of the country back that way.

I had initially supported invasion in 2001 out of retribution for 9/11 and because the Taliban are a**holes. I supported Obama's surge there in part because bin Laden was still missing and the job didn't seem done. Now that he's dead and al Qaeda has splintered and found other refuges in the world, it seems that we're past the point of diminishing returns in Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom