• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Native Americans sue North Dakota over ‘sickening’ gerrymandering

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I guess these Native Americans have just had it too easy for too long so the Republicans knocked their asses down in North Dakota.

"The lawsuit, filed earlier this month, claims the map packs some Indigenous voters into one House subdistrict, while putting other “nearby Native American voters into two other districts dominated by white voters who bloc vote against Native Americans’ preferred candidates”. It adds that complying with the Voting Rights Act would mean placing the two nations in a single district, where they would “comprise an effective, geographically compact majority”.

“All citizens deserve to have their voices heard and to be treated fairly and equally under the law,” they wrote, arguing that the proposed map was illegal, diluting the strength of their communities’ voice."

Tell that to the NY Dems who are hell bent on constitutionally violating gerrymandering plans :)

So the assumptions are that white people inherently vote against whatever the native Americans vote for and the native Americans vote collectively as a group?

And none of that is considered racist?

If I'm not allowed to vote in their tribal elections then why are they allowed to vote in mine?

So the assumptions are that white people inherently vote against whatever the native Americans vote for and the native Americans vote collectively as a group?

And none of that is considered racist?
That's not the definition of racism. Jeez, people.

Tell that to the NY Dems who are hell bent on constitutionally violating gerrymandering plans :)
WTF is wrong with you people? what a dumb, off topic deflection. Republicans are owning gerrymandering, letting the minority redneck scumbags dictate over the majority of the coutnry. Actual facts, not your stupid one liners

That's not the definition of racism. Jeez, people.

You're gonna have to walk me through it.

The assumption that all native Americans vote the same isn't racist, putting all native Americans in the same district because of that assumption is racist?

The assumption that all native Americans vote the same isn't racist, putting all native Americans in the same district because of that assumption is racist?
No.

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

WTF is wrong with you people? what a dumb, off topic deflection. Republicans are owning gerrymandering, letting the minority redneck scumbags dictate over the majority of the coutnry. Actual facts, not your stupid one liners

North Dakotans are now rednecks? Wow. Sorry you don't like seeing that it is rather bipartisan.

Need a tissue?

Nah, I'm good. You couldn't pay me to live in NY so gerrymander away. I just find it comical when people make a partisan issue about it and hate when I point out it is a rather bipartisan hobby.

Russia Republicons have a 3 to 1 advantage with their apartheid gerrymandering!!

hopefully North Dakota wins the lawsuit and we move on

Different demographics are more likely to vote certain ways. For example, in the 2020 presidential election 45% of men vs 57% of women, 41% of white vs 87% of black voters, and 60% of voters ages 18-29 vs 45% ages 65+ voted for Biden. Acknowledging these differences isn't sexist, racist, ageist, etc, and neither is acknowledging that certain communities of people that live close together that fit certain demographics also tend to vote in certain ways and might be the target of gerrymandering.

Two different reservations with two different tribal governments are in two different Congressional districts. Why is that a problem?

Ban gerrymandering nationwide.

Two different reservations with two different tribal governments are in two different Congressional districts. Why is that a problem?
Because they are likely the minority in both districts. An example of 'cracking' in the concept of voter suppression by packing or cracking.

Because they are likely the minority in both districts. An example of 'cracking' in the concept of voter suppression by packing or cracking.
The notion that anyone has a constitutional right for their preferred candidate to win elections is a grotesque absurdity in a democracy. They aren’t united under a single tribe or tribal government so they certainly don’t have any right to demand to be unified only for the purpose of dictating the outcomes of US elections.

The notion that anyone has a constitutional right for their preferred candidate to win elections is a grotesque absurdity in a democracy. They aren’t united under a single tribe or tribal government so they certainly don’t have any right to demand to be unified only for the purpose of dictating the outcomes of US elections.
Are you just learning about gerrymandering? Democrats want to abolish it, Your people don't.

I guess these Native Americans have just had it too easy for too long so the Republicans knocked their asses down in North Dakota.

"The lawsuit, filed earlier this month, claims the map packs some Indigenous voters into one House subdistrict, while putting other “nearby Native American voters into two other districts dominated by white voters who bloc vote against Native Americans’ preferred candidates”. It adds that complying with the Voting Rights Act would mean placing the two nations in a single district, where they would “comprise an effective, geographically compact majority”.

“All citizens deserve to have their voices heard and to be treated fairly and equally under the law,” they wrote, arguing that the proposed map was illegal, diluting the strength of their communities’ voice."

1645590052134.png

What surprise. It's another gerrymandering thread where you need to use a banned racial standard to find fault with the map.

It's new that the race isn't Hispanic or Black but that's all.

If I'm not allowed to vote in their tribal elections then why are they allowed to vote in mine?
You’re not impacted by tribal politics, except in only the most tenuous, peripheral sense. They’re directed impacted by US politics.

Argument rejected.

A nation of Native Americans was divided into three groups so that two groups became local minorities and the third group lacked legislative weight.

Why is there debate.

Last edited:
What surprise. It's another gerrymandering thread where you need to use a banned racial standard to find fault with the map.

It's new that the race isn't Hispanic or Black but that's all.
i actually give Republicans huge props for the genius gerrymandering that they've done. hell, North Carolina has to be the most genius (capturing "the blacks" (represented in blue on the map)) in 3 of its 5 biggest cities (separated by hours of driving) was the bomb. and i don't care if they eventually admitted it in court and that the district was eventually thrown out. they got to use it for elections...

NC Old Gerrymandered District 12.png

Back
Top Bottom