• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Native Americans not Offended by "Redskins"

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well now. This may change the course of public discussion.

Poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans not offended by Redskins’ name
The new Washington Post survey indicates few American Indians support forcing the NFL team to change its moniker.

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.
The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.
[12 Native Americans talk about the furor over the Redskins name]
Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name. . . .

The new Washington Post survey indicates few American Indians support forcing the NFL team to change its moniker.

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.
The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.
Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name. . . .

8 out of 7 people that are offended by football team names are... oh, never mind - talking to people that get offended that easily is like trying to describe the smell of the color 9 to a tree.

This study mirrors the past study. A bunch of hand wringing NON Indian liberals are the ones TRULY upset...and those people 'upset' couldnt give half a **** about the real problems facing Indians in this country.

This study mirrors the past study. A bunch of hand wringing NON Indian liberals are the ones TRULY upset...and those people 'upset' couldnt give half a **** about the real problems facing Indians in this country.

Daniel Snyder's done soooo much for them.

Daniel Snyder's done soooo much for them.
Meh...I dont know if you would call it 'soooooooooo' much...but...

The redskins have donated tens of millions in college schalarships
Vehicles for group travel on reservations
Clothing and especially winter coats
Food drives
400 iPads for college bound students
Thousands in laptops for college bound students
Buildings including new senior centers
Jobs to construct those buildings
Renovated pools
School buses

And thats just the short list. Im sure your contributions and 'concern' rivals it.
Built recreation centers and playgrounds

One of my grandparents was a Native American and he liked the term and the team. Of all the ****ty things done to the Natives, I think calling them Redskin is low on the list of things they care about. And what do Native American baseball fans think, that's all that matters. They are the ones who buy or do not buy the teams merchandise based on the brand. Do Native American baseball fans care about the name?

One of my grandparents was a Native American and he liked the term and the team. Of all the ****ty things done to the Natives, I think calling them Redskin is low on the list of things they care about. And what do Native American baseball fans think, that's all that matters. They are the ones who buy or do not buy the teams merchandise based on the brand. Do Native American baseball fans care about the name?

It's football.

You DO realize you are talking about the wrong sport...right?

;)

who cares if they are? plenty of company names are annoying/offensive to me. Progressive Insurance for one.

You DO realize you are talking about the wrong sport...right?

;)

I'll be honest I am not a big sports follower, I just remember my Grandfather loved the Redskins. I honestly thought it was a baseball team.

I'll be honest I am not a big sports follower, I just remember my Grandfather loved the Redskins. I honestly thought it was a baseball team.

you may have confused it with the cleveland indians

I recall this same type of thing years ago with the Atlanta Braves when the fans were wearing headdresses and doing the 'tomahawk chop'.
As to the Redskins, a campaign to force the team to change its name has been going on for quite awhile and I found it odd oh I think it was last year they had a tribe saying they were offended and I wondered well what tribe is this I mean there are a lot of tribes native to the east coast ... but no it was a tribe from California... no a peep from any tribes in the east.
In looking up info on the tribe at the time I found they seemed to be involved in this kind of thing all over the place and several tribe members were lawyers.. they seemed to be making a living out of suing all over the place of discriminatory names.

Still, I'm a bit bothered that 10% are still offended. I mean, haven't we already treated Native Americans poorly enough?

Still, I'm a bit bothered that 10% are still offended. I mean, haven't we already treated Native Americans poorly enough?

Ya, treated them horribly and continue to do so in some ways. But if it were me, after the genocide, the con, the rape, robbery, and forced cultural re-education. If a bunch of white people suddenly said "Hey, lets change our football team's name it might offend our ancestors victims." I would be flabbergasted at the balls of it. It's like a gang of kids beating the **** out of a neighbor kid, and then you as the nicest member of the gang fixing his collar and saying sorry so he doesn't tell on you. It doesn't really help the beating, just makes you feel better for participating, even if indirectly.

Ya, treated them horribly and continue to do so in some ways. But if it were me, after the genocide, the con, the rape, robbery, and forced cultural re-education. If a bunch of white people suddenly said "Hey, lets change our football team's name it might offend our ancestors victims." I would be flabbergasted at the balls of it. It's like a gang of kids beating the **** out of a neighbor kid, and then you as the nicest member of the gang fixing his collar and saying sorry so he doesn't tell on you. It doesn't really help the beating, just makes you feel better for participating, even if indirectly.

Agreed.

As I see it, you have a billionaire owner and a legion of sports fans on one hand, and 10% of a horribly mistreated minority on the other, so if I'm going to make the decision based on morality, there is no question I side with our offended Native Americans.

Agreed.

As I see it, you have a billionaire owner and a legion of sports fans on one hand, and 10% of a horribly mistreated minority on the other, so if I'm going to make the decision based on morality, there is no question I side with our offended Native Americans.

Native Americans and European Americans fought a war for North America that lasted over 300 years. The Natives lost. There's no moral upper hand either way.

Native Americans and European Americans fought a war for North America that lasted over 300 years. The Natives lost. There's no moral upper hand either way.

You don't think being merciful in victory is moral?

Back
Top Bottom