• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Native American songs?

Enola

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I can listen to this over and over. It just gives me the chills. Vid is not very clear but the song itself rocks it. John Tesh is on piano.

I lean towards NDN flutes, drums, easy listening.

Anyone here in to that as well?

This one has orchestra as well as NDN chants. The vid is awesome as well.

Blue Chip Orchestra...NDN music by Austrian's.

A message within a great song..mix of reggae with NDN.

I did some work for this guy a while ago -

I can't say that I'm into it as much as I am Robbie Robertson or Buffy Ste Marie but if you happen to be listening to it in the desert out here some evening during spring or fall it takes on a whole different meaning.

These song come to mind, not all being perfomed by Native Americans but at least haevily infuenced by them.

I can't say that I'm into it as much as I am Robbie Robertson or Buffy Ste Marie but if you happen to be listening to it in the desert out here some evening during spring or fall it takes on a whole different meaning.

Kudos for knowing about Robbie Robertson's Mohawk heritage. His ethnicity aside, I consider him one of the best Canadian musicians of his generation. His work and influence goes 'way beyond 'the Band'.

Robertson is also Canadian. I believe his first gig was with a Canadian legend, Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks along with Levon Helm. Robertson has said many times it was Hawkins' insistence on perfection that drew the attention of Bob Dylan, an association that led to The Band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Hawkins

They were a regular band we danced to in my teens.

Best song: "Somewhere down the crazy river..." you gotta love the line "...the wind just kind of pushed me there..."

a few more songs concerning Native Americans...

Robertson is also Canadian. I believe his first gig was with a Canadian legend, Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks along with Levon Helm. Robertson has said many times it was Hawkins' insistence on perfection that drew the attention of Bob Dylan, an association that led to The Band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Hawkins

They were a regular band we danced to in my teens.

Best song: "Somewhere down the crazy river..." you gotta love the line "...the wind just kind of pushed me there..."

'Take a picture of this...'
"Whoa, this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me!"

That song stirred up some ghosts for me, too- the beat poets, Jack Kerouac- I was too young at the time but really got into that scene later.
Those lyrics are wonderful.
It's a remarkable thing that what I think of as a landmark American song, 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' was written by a Canadian.

And yeah, he was a Ronnie Hawkins' Hawk.

'Take a picture of this...'
"Whoa, this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me!"

That song stirred up some ghosts for me, too- the beat poets, Jack Kerouac- I was too young at the time but really got into that scene later.
Those lyrics are wonderful.
It's a remarkable thing that what I think of as a landmark American song, 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' was written by a Canadian.

And yeah, he was a Ronnie Hawkins' Hawk.

Oh yeah.....

Before my father died I drove across the continent in a fully loaded 300-Z with the most awesome sound system I have ever heard. I had the album along and the whole thing made me re-visit some ghosts of the past. By then I had been sober more than ten years, and I really related to "the wind kind of pushed me that way"

I also had Lorena McKinnet along for the ride. That and Tom Cochrane & Red Rider with the song "Big Leagues".

Kind of a Canadian music hat trick in itself

Back
Top Bottom