• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

National standards for policing.

Well, considering that murder is a crime in every state of the union I don't see why a national standard to penalize it is necessary.

The point is to train police officers how to de-escalate a potentially violent encounter.

Yes, but I would not call it "blackmail." The idea that police officers need to be told not to murder a suspect posing no danger is horrendous.

There has been no cops shooting a suspect posing no danger. In every shooting case so far the officer was attacked.

Yes, I believe that published statistics from the FBI are based on voluntary reporting from police departments.
Exactly, it's "voluntary" which essentially means "worthless"!

My city is among the most troubled & abusive in terms of police abuse & cover-up. They do not report.

Why is this such a hard thing. Federal government draws up nation standards, makes it voluntary to comply, at least initially.

Funny , how about thugs and felons following the law for a change ?

There has been no cops shooting a suspect posing no danger. In every shooting case so far the officer was attacked.

How was Philando Castile attacking the officer who shot him?

The point is to train police officers how to de-escalate a potentially violent encounter.

We used to have LOTS of training on how to conduct various engagements and I suspect that trend continues but, truth be told, you can't possibly train someone for every circumstance they will run into.

How, for example, do you suggest that cops engage a suspect who matches the description of an armed robber when they pull him over in traffic? The cops have a suspect description and maybe a vehicle description. They don't have a name or address so they can't tie anything back to a license plate. They have a basic physical description but "slender light skinned male with dark hair about 5'10"" covers a whole lot of people. They pull a car over and the driver is evasive when asked for ID. What do you suggest they do next?

We used to have LOTS of training on how to conduct various engagements and I suspect that trend continues but, truth be told, you can't possibly train someone for every circumstance they will run into.

How, for example, do you suggest that cops engage a suspect who matches the description of an armed robber when they pull him over in traffic? The cops have a suspect description and maybe a vehicle description. They don't have a name or address so they can't tie anything back to a license plate. They have a basic physical description but "slender light skinned male with dark hair about 5'10"" covers a whole lot of people. They pull a car over and the driver is evasive when asked for ID. What do you suggest they do next?

When I lived in Los Angeles, before and after the riots, many of my black friends told me they have been stopped for matching the description of a black male.....

Ok, let's debate dictionaries.

black·mail
ˈblakˌmāl/
noun
noun: blackmail

the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding money from a person in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information about that person.
"they were acquitted of charges of blackmail"

https://www.google.com/search?q=blackmail&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The only thing that matters is how words are used in real life, we decide what words mean, not dictionaries, not the elite. THe better dictionaries do a better job of showing how words are used, what they mean in real life. Generally speaking the Cambridge dictionary does better than Google at this, and it thus has the reputation of doing this better.

HOWEVER: At the end of the day DP members will decide for themselves based upon their life experience who has the better understanding of the word "blackmail", me or you. I trust that they will decide that it is me, because I got educated, I know this stuff better than most.

The only thing that matters is how words are used in real life, we decide what words mean, not dictionaries, not the elite. THe better dictionaries do a better job of showing how words are used, what they mean in real life. Generally speaking the Cambridge dictionary does better than Google at this, and it thus has the reputation of doing this better.

HOWEVER: At the end of the day DP members will decide for themselves based upon their life experience who has the better understanding of the word "blackmail", me or you. I trust that they will decide that it is me, because I got educated, I know this stuff better than most.

Who is going to decide the winner of our debate about whose dictionary is more authoritative?

Who is going to decide the winner of our debate about whose dictionary is more authoritative?

THe debate is on the question of did I or did I not use the word correctly.

Everyone makes their own call, of course.

I have made my case.

I am now good.

And done.

:bon_voyag

When I lived in Los Angeles, before and after the riots, many of my black friends told me they have been stopped for matching the description of a black male.....

So? I got pulled over one night because I was driving a car that matched the description of a domestic assailant. **** happens.

They should have been pulling over white guys when looking for a black male?

So? I got pulled over one night because I was driving a car that matched the description of a domestic assailant. **** happens.

Riots happen too. Especially when the whole city of Los Angeles knew cops were targeting black men for traffic stops.

Riots happen too. Especially when the whole city of Los Angeles knew cops were targeting black men for traffic stops.

A. How did they know that was the case?
B. Did anyone tell you why they were doing that?
C. Hypothetically speaking, if there was a rash of drive by shootings in an area perpetrated by black gangs would you consider those additional stops to be justified as a matter of public safety?

A. How did they know that was the case?
B. Did anyone tell you why they were doing that?
C. Hypothetically speaking, if there was a rash of drive by shootings in an area perpetrated by black gangs would you consider those additional stops to be justified as a matter of public safety?

You know that expression, Everyone and their brother? True. Black women told me of their brothers getting stopped for no reason. A black guy I worked with detailed his stop the night before--handcuffed and car searched with no explanation why. Black guy in BMW stopped in Beverly Hills for no reason. On and on.

Back
Top Bottom