• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

National heat records set in 2010

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Palestine, the portion of the territories occupied by Israel that declared independence in 1988, recorded its hottest temperature since record keeping began on August 7, 2010, when the temperature hit 51.4°C (124.5°F) at Kibbutz Almog (also called Qalya or Kalya) in the Jordan Valley. The previous record for Palestine was set on June 22, 1942, at the same location.

Belarus recorded its hottest temperature in its history on August 6, 2010, when the mercury hit 38.7°C (101.7°F) in Gorky. The previous record was 38.0°C (100.4°F) set at Vasiliyevichy on Aug. 20, 1946.

Ukraine tied its record for hottest temperature in its history when the mercury hit 41.3°C (106.3°F) at Lukhansk on August 1, 2010. Ukraine also reached 41.3°C on July 20 and 21, 2007, at Voznesensk.

Cyprus recorded its hottest temperature in its history on August 1, 2010 when the mercury hit 46.6°C (115.9°F) at Lefconica. The old record for Cyprus was 44.4°C (111.9°F) at Lefkosia in August 1956. An older record of 46.6°C from July 1888 was reported from Nicosia, but is of questionable reliability.

Finland recorded its hottest temperature on July 29, 2010, when the mercury hit 99°F (37.2°C) at Joensuu. The old (undisputed) record was 95°F (35°C) at Jyvaskyla on July 9, 1914.

Qatar had its hottest temperature in history on July 14, 2010, when the mercury hit 50.4°C (122.7°F) at Doha Airport.

Russia had its hottest temperature in history on July 11, when the mercury rose to 44.0°C (111.2°F) in Yashkul, Kalmykia Republic, in the European portion of Russia near the Kazakhstan border. The previous hottest temperature in Russia (not including the former Soviet republics) was the 43.8°C (110.8°F) reading measured at Alexander Gaj, Kalmykia Republic, on August 6, 1940. The remarkable heat in Russia this year has not been limited just to the European portion of the country--the Asian portion of Russia also recorded its hottest temperature in history this year, a 42.7°C (108.9°F) reading at Kara, in the Chita Republic on June 24. The 42.3°C (108.1°F) reading on June 25 at Belogorsk, near the Amur River border with China, also beat the old record for the Asian portion of Russia. The previous record for the Asian portion of Russia was 41.7°C (107.1°F) at Aksha on July 21, 2004.

Sudan recorded its hottest temperature in its history on June 25 when the mercury rose to 49.6°C (121.3°F) at Dongola. The previous record was 49.5°C (121.1°F) set in July 1987 in Aba Hamed.

Niger tied its record for hottest day in history on June 22, 2010, when the temperature reached 47.1°C (116.8°F) at Bilma. That record stood for just one day, as Bilma broke the record again on June 23, when the mercury topped out at 48.2°C (118.8°F). The previous record was 47.1°C on May 24, 1998, also at Bilma.

Saudi Arabia had its hottest temperature ever on June 22, 2010, with a reading of 52.0°C (125.6°F) in Jeddah, the second largest city in Saudi Arabia. The previous record was 51.7°C (125.1°F), at Abqaiq, date unknown. The record heat was accompanied by a sandstorm, which caused eight power plants to go offline, resulting in blackouts to several Saudi cities.

Chad had its hottest day in history on June 22, 2010, when the temperature reached 47.6°C (117.7°F) at Faya. The previous record was 47.4°C (117.3°F) at Faya on June 3 and June 9, 1961.

Kuwait recorded its hottest temperature in history on June 15 in Abdaly, according to the Kuwait Met office. The mercury hit 52.6°C (126.7°F). Kuwait's previous all-time hottest temperature was 51.9°C (125.4°F), on July 27,2007, at Abdaly. Temperatures reached 51°C (123.8°F) in the capital of Kuwait City on June 15, 2010.

Iraq had its hottest day in history on June 14, 2010, when the mercury hit 52.0°C (125.6°F) in Basra. Iraq's previous record was 51.7°C (125.1°F) set August 8, 1937, in Ash Shu'aybah.

Pakistan had its hottest temperature in history on May 26, when the mercury hit an astonishing 53.5°C (128.3°F) at the town of MohenjuDaro, according to the Pakistani Meteorological Department. While this temperature reading must be reviewed by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) for authenticity, not only is the 128.3°F reading the hottest temperature ever recorded in Pakistan, it is the hottest reliably measured temperature ever recorded on the continent of Asia.

Myanmar (Burma) had its hottest temperature in its recorded history on May 12, when the mercury hit 47°C (116.6°F) in Myinmu, according to the Myanmar Department of Meteorology and Hydrology. Myanmar's previous hottest temperature was 45.8°C (114.4°F) at Minbu, Magwe division on May 9, 1998. According to Chris Burt, author of the authoritative weather records book Extreme Weather, the 47°C measured this year is the hottest temperature in Southeast Asia history.

Ascention Island (St. Helena, a U.K. Territory) had its hottest temperature in history on March 25, 2010, when the mercury hit 34.9°C (94.8°C) at Georgetown. The previous record was 34.0°C (93.2°F) at Georgetown in April 2003, exact day unknown.

The Solomon Islands had their hottest temperature in history on February 1, 2010, when the mercury hit 36.1°C (97°F) at Lata Nendo (Ndeni). The previous record for Solomon Islands was 35.6°C (96.0°F) at Honaiara, date unknown.

Colombia had its hottest temperature in history on January 24, 2010, when Puerto Salgar hit 42.3°C (108°F). The previous record was 42.0°C (107.6°F) at El Salto in March 1988 (exact day unknown).

Gee, I wonder if Jim Inhofe will post these stats on his blog.

Anyone who doesn't see that anti-science deniers are full of **** is a total idiot, IMHO.

Gee, I wonder if Jim Inhofe will post these stats on his blog.

Anyone who doesn't see that anti-science deniers are full of **** is a total idiot, IMHO.

Yes!! The earth is warming. The earth has cooled. The earth has frozen solid. No one denies this has been a hot summer. Maybe it'll even be a hot 100 years. But prove to me with some actual science two things:

That it hasn't happened before.
That my using freakin' twistie-curlie lightbulbs will cure it.

Yes!! The earth is warming. The earth has cooled. The earth has frozen solid. No one denies this has been a hot summer. Maybe it'll even be a hot 100 years. But prove to me with some actual science two things:

That it hasn't happened before.
That my using freakin' twistie-curlie lightbulbs will cure it.

See, Mags, NASA and the majority of the worlds climate scientists have determined that it is MAN MADE and will GET WORSE.

Perhaps you should do some reading on climate issues and global warming before posting in this type of thread.

Good luck!:2wave:

Gee, whatever happened to not using one data point to represent an entire trend? Climate alarmists go CRAZY when a "denier" does something like that (i.e. "it's cold in this place at this time therefore no global warming!")... I guess I shouldn't have expected enough consistency for those same people to not engage in the same behavior.

I'm not a total idiot. Nor am I anti-science. I plan to major in physics.

See, Mags, NASA and the majority of the worlds climate scientists have determined that it is MAN MADE and will GET WORSE.

Perhaps you should do some reading on climate issues and global warming before posting in this type of thread.

1. You didn't answer either of her questions.
2. Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.

Perhaps before posting a thread like this you should decide to include facts that make a case for how a possible global warming could be man-made -- instead of simply listing temperatures in various places. OMG!! Hottest days on record!!!! How long we been recording? A hundred years? Give me a break.

So weather equals climate change? based on one year? :doh: :ssst:

Fruits, vegetables fail to ripen as S California nears 'coolest summer on record'The average temperature in July was 79 degrees, five degrees below normal, and the first eight days of this month also have been five to six degrees below normal, weather experts said. That could put Southern California on track for a near-record-low summer, but it's still too early to say, according to weather experts. The Los Angeles area, in fact, has had below-normal temperatures every month since April.

Librado Romero/The New York TimesA July day in Bryant Park in Midtown. The city’s average temperature last month was 72.6.
But this summer has been conspicuously different in New York City. Not one 99-degree day in Central Park. Not a single day that the temperature even approached 90. For just the second time in 140 years of record keeping, the temperature failed to reach 90 in either June or July. It’s a gross, grungy, disgusting summer-in-the-city tradition: the muggy 90-degree day or, worse still, the 99-degree day.

Cool weather has broken a previous low temperature for July 21 in Nashville that was set when Rutherford B. Hayes was president. When the temperature at the National Weather Service station dipped to 58 degrees at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday, it wiped out the previous record low for the date of 60 degrees, which was set in 1877.

As much of the USA chatters in the deep freeze–N. Carolina facing a once in a generation cold snap–weather folk in the UK warn the UK is facing one of the coldest winter in 100 years.

Yes, Rev. Hellhound! We're facing a man-made ice age!!!

Single-point or single-year temperature stats do not help skeptics nor do they help the other side.

Want to be a physics major, eh MaggieD? Check out the thread in my sig, it might give you an idea about the whole CO2 thing.

Single-point or single-year temperature stats do not help skeptics nor do they help the other side.

Want to be a physics major, eh MaggieD? Check out the thread in my sig, it might give you an idea about the whole CO2 thing.

Well, I may check it out, Deuce. But I don't want to be a physics major. I want to continue on being a bumbling fool who spouts opinions from every orifice without any consideration for facts - like most everybody else.

Well, I may check it out, Deuce. But I don't want to be a physics major. I want to continue on being a bumbling fool who spouts opinions from every orifice without any consideration for facts - like most everybody else.

Whoops. Scrolling error, Dav =/= MaggieD

Whoops. Scrolling error, Dav =/= MaggieD

Yeah, I posted in that thread once and have yet to get back to your response, I saw a lot of big paragraphs and sciency words and decided I'd get back to it eventually :3oops:

And since it's apparently in your sig now, I guess I will sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom