• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

National Guard is 369 years old today.

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
History of the Guard
The Army National Guard began on December 13, 1636, when the Massachusetts Bay Colony organized three militia regiments to defend against the growing threat of the Pequot Indians. Today, the Army National Guard continues its historic mission of providing defense for the nation.

Not much of a debate here, but just something I thought was interesting.

shuamort said:
History of the Guard
Not much of a debate here, but just something I thought was interesting.

Um...
The National Guard we have today was created in 1903 by the Dick act, prusuant to its power to raise and maintain armies.
Prior to thet Dick Act, the Militia act of 1792 was the controlling authority over the "National Guard".

And the Arny itself was created 14 June 1775.
The Army National Guard pre-dates the army itself?

The problem here is trying to equate National Guard as we have it today to "National Guard" (read: militia) as it was prior to 1903 -- the National Guard is part of the standing army whereas the militia is not.

Last edited:
M14 Shooter said:
Um...
The National Guard we have today was created in 1903 by the Dick act.
Prior to thet Dick Act, the Militia act of 1792 was the controlling authority.

And the Arny itself weas created 14 June 1775.
The Army National Guard pre-dates the army itself?

The problem here is trying to equate National Guard as we have it today to "National Guard" (read: militia) as it was prior to 1903 -- the National Guard is part of the standing army whereas the militia is not.
It even pre-dates the country itself.

USAA where I have my car insurance and a credit card through, is a military organization that is also celebrating its birthday. Here's a link to their website with graphic-y goodness.

Back
Top Bottom