• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

National Character

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Anyone like to participate in a thread giving your take on a nation's character? The rule is you must pick a nation other than your own.

Here's my general impression of the British. (I'm well aware that Britain comprises a few different nations, I'm trying paint a broad picture.)

Brits are stoic - or is the word unflappable? They don't lose control of their emotions.

They have great military prowess, and historically are rarely defeated in battle. The british army isn't large, but man for man it is probably as good as any in the world.

Brits are intelligent, and have produced some of the world's greatest scientists. e.g. Stephen Hawking and Isaac Newton.

Brits have abominable food. Yeah yeah, I've heard that it's improved, but I don't buy it. I've read about such abominable concoctions as "blood pudding", and steak and kidney pie. Who would put piiss filters in a pie??

Brits are great at celebrating their long history. I've seen the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and the Trooping of the Colors. Americans could never take themselves that seriously, but somehow it works with the British. They are very good at that sort of thing.

Brits are very civilized (except for the football fans).

alphamale said:
Anyone like to participate in a thread giving your take on a nation's character? The rule is you must pick a nation other than your own.

Here's my general impression of the British. (I'm well aware that Britain comprises a few different nations, I'm trying paint a broad picture.)

Brits are stoic - or is the word unflappable? They don't lose control of their emotions.

They have great military prowess, and historically are rarely defeated in battle. The british army isn't large, but man for man it is probably as good as any in the world.

Brits are intelligent, and have produced some of the world's greatest scientists. e.g. Stephen Hawking and Isaac Newton.

Brits have abominable food. Yeah yeah, I've heard that it's improved, but I don't buy it. I've read about such abominable concoctions as "blood pudding", and steak and kidney pie. Who would put piiss filters in a pie??

Brits are great at celebrating their long history. I've seen the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and the Trooping of the Colors. Americans could never take themselves that seriously, but somehow it works with the British. They are very good at that sort of thing.

Somehow, I see a thread on stereotypical generalizations of national character devolving into flame laden spin fest. I'll pass, thanks.

alphamale said:
Americans could never take themselves that seriously, but somehow it works with the British. They are very good at that sort of thing.

Not to derail your thread....

You want to witness something really impressive?

Watch a Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider
Arlington National Cemetery.

The Changing ofThe Guard

The changing of the guard ceremony is conducted every hour in winter time, and every half hour during summer daylight hours to provide visitors ample opportunity to witness one of the Army's proudest traditions.
As the active sentry nears the conclusion of his walk, a uniformed relief commander enters the plaza to announce the Changing of the Guard. When the sentinel assigned the next walk leaves the guards' quarters, he unlocks the bolt of his M-14 rifle to signify that he is ready to begin the ceremony. The relief commander approaches the tomb, slowly salutes, then faces the visitors and requests silence during the ceremony.

As the new sentinel approaches the relief commander slowly and with great precision, conducts a white-glove inspection of the sentinel's weapon. The two then march to the center of the mat where the duty sentinel stops his walk, and all three men salute the Tomb.

"Pass on your orders." the commander instructs the active sentinel.

"Post and orders, remain as directed." He replies.

"Orders acknowledged." Answers the relieving sentinel, who then steps into position at the center of the black mat. As soon as the relief commander passes, the new sentinel begins his own walk, 21 paces south, turn and pause for 21 seconds, turn and pace 21 steps south, and then repeat the actions without distraction until relieved by the next Changing of the Guards.

Somehow, I see a thread on stereotypical generalizations of national character devolving into flame laden spin fest. I'll pass, thanks.

But are the sterotypes true? And it's not necessary to tell anyone you pass, you just have to ... pass.

You want to witness something really impressive?

Watch a Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider
Arlington National Cemetery.

I've seen it, and it is impressive. It's impressive partly because of its simplicity. My comment about the Brits was that only they could get away with all the costumes, castles, robes, and other paraphenalia.

its black pudding! which has pigs blood. I think you'll find not many of us actually eat it. While your at it why dont you mention spotted dick, haggis and fish and chips. Bakewell tart, yorkshire puddings, b+b pudding, english currys like korma and vindaloo, tea, cocoa before bedtime, roast beef, full english breakfast, crisps, battenburg, sandwiches, bangers n mash. Amazin stuff!

steak and kidney pie is actually quite nice, good from the chip shop.

alphamale said:

Some are, some aren't. You can't judge a whole country on a stereotype.

alphamale said:

The British army doesn't really seem to care about the welfare of it's recruits, in my opinion, and the Deepcut scandal hasn't exactly helped disprove that notion. However, our army is as good as anyone else's.

alphamale said:

Again, some are, some aren't, just like in the US.

alphamale said:

You've just named two foods (that are quite tasty actually), aren't you forgetting Bakewell tarts and Yorkshire puddings and mashed potastoes and sausages and fry-up breakfasts, and other tasty stereotypical British foods? Not to mention fied-everything in Scotland, includinf fried Mars bars. :D Chicken Tikka Masala is actually our most popoular dish now.

alphamale said:

British history is seen almost exclusively throgh English eyes. We get two years of Scots history up here and then that's it.

alphamale said:

Again, that's a stereotype: we're no more civilised or uncivilised than anyone else. Wouldn't it make more sense to get to know some Brits, do some research, and not really on silly misconceptions?

France: Gay.

German: Gay and racist.

Polish: Stupid, ie the helicopter ejection seat, the solar powered flashlight, screen doors on the submarine et al.

Israel: Cheap.

Iran: terrorists.

Saudi Arabia: terrorists.

Palestine: terrorists.

Iraq: terrorists.

Pakistan: terrorists.

Ireland: Drunk and violent

Italians: Angry.

Canada: cold eh?

Mexico: lazy

China: horny

Russia: Drunk and violent

Vietnam: don't bring your dog.

Iceland: cold

Greenland: green

(greenland is actually cold, Iceland is actually green) what the fuc/k is that about?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
France: Gay.

German: Gay and racist.

Polish: Stupid, ie the helicopter ejection seat, the solar powered flashlight, screen doors on the submarine et al.

Israel: Cheap.

Iran: terrorists.

Saudi Arabia: terrorists.

Palestine: terrorists.

Iraq: terrorists.

Pakistan: terrorists.

Ireland: Drunk and violent

Italians: Angry.

Canada: cold eh?

Mexico: lazy

China: horny

Russia: Drunk and violent

Vietnam: don't bring your dog.

Iceland: cold

Greenland: green

(greenland is actually cold, Iceland is actually green) what the fuc/k is that about?

And the point in these asinine ill-informed stereotypes is...?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Scotland: crossdressing men.

Our men do it for tradition, what's your excuse?

Last edited:
French:

- Demitasse sucking, snail eating slugs who don't understand capitalism even after 250 years.

- Make love with their mouths, fight with their feet, and eat what most people throw into the garbage.

- Surrender so fast, their enemies get empathetic embarassment.

- Have turned kissing the hairy *** of third world dictators into a fine art.

- Dare to lecture the United States - the United States! - on democracy, diplomacy, and international affairs.

- Together with Germany (a country that in their heart of hearts still scares them sh_tless) they make up what appeasers call "the world".

- Do have a distinguished history in arts and letters and science, but it's all in the past.

- Will be an islamic republic in 30 years max.

alphamale said:
French:

- Demitasse sucking, snail eating slugs who don't understand capitalism even after 250 years.

- Make love with their mouths, fight with their feet, and eat what most people throw into the garbage.

- Surrender so fast, their enemies get empathetic embarassment.

- Have turned kissing the hairy *** of third world dictators into a fine art.

- Dare to lecture the United States - the United States! - on democracy, diplomacy, and international affairs.

- Together with Germany (a country that in their heart of hearts still scares them sh_tless) they make up what appeasers call "the world".

- Do have a distinguished history in arts and letters and science, but it's all in the past.

- Will be an islamic republic in 30 years max.

Who here wants to bet that alphamale has never been to France?

Enola/Alone said:

He may not have been to France, but he's got them down cold.

Hey, babe, lighten up. You take this thread seriously and you're gonna get an aneurism. Whatcha gotta do is drag up the stereotypes about America prevalent in Scotland and toss it back over here.

Personally, I've always wondered about the Scots...the men dress in skirts, yet they invented the sport of tabor tossing, and they still lost to the damn English. What's up with that?

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

That's something I've learned about this site. Some don't have a clue. Scarecrow, WTF? I've more original France jokes on this site than you can shake a stick at. Way to dis me. alphamale has them down cold?

Attachments

• My guys 098.jpg
    My guys 098.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
teacher said:
That's something I've learned about this site. Some don't have a clue. Scarecrow, WTF? I've more original France jokes on this site than you can shake a stick at. Way to dis me. alphamale has them down cold?

I was responding to that post in particular. Besides, you haven't seen a French joke until you've met my wife's family.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Hey, babe, lighten up. You take this thread seriously and you're gonna get an aneurism. Whatcha gotta do is drag up the stereotypes about America prevalent in Scotland and toss it back over here.

Personally, I've always wondered about the Scots...the men dress in skirts, yet they invented the sport of tabor tossing, and they still lost to the damn English. What's up with that?

Lord knows. I just don't find stereotyping funny, be it directed at Scots or others. I mean, I think it's a lot lazier than actually learning about the culture you're moaning about.

Enola/Alone said:

You'd lose the bet. I was in france as part of a big tour of the continent when I was in grad school. I was in Paris for 4 days. I was able to converse minimally - I had just taken intermediate french in school. I got in an argument at Gare Lazare with an old french fart who was discounting the role of the U.S. in liberating his country - I think he said something to the effect that the soldiers spent all their time in bordellos. I also got in an argument with an arrogant french guard at Versailles. I dealt with snotty train reservationists who refused to speak english. I did have a friendly conversation with an Eiffel Tower guard. I was also in Nice and Cannes - very snobby. I got a laugh from a train car I was riding in when it stopped in Avignon on the way from paris to Nice - I started singing Sur le pont d'Avignon. In paris, when I was trying to buy some picnic stuff from a charcuterie, I got a cold stare from Madame Proprietress, even though I followed etiquette with a "Bonjour Madame" instead of going right into "gimmee a ..." in american style. Most of the shopkeepers made me feel like I should consider myself lucky that they were there to do business, instead of making the customer welcome. The french women won't give american guys the time of day - they're only interested in screwing the arabs who are taking over their country. It was a mixed bag, but there are a lot of shiits in France.

P.S.: I've been to a LOT of places in the world, including Scotland.

alphamale said:
You'd lose the bet. I was in france as part of a big tour of the continent when I was in grad school. I was in Paris for 4 days. I was able to converse minimally - I had just taken intermediate french in school. I got in an argument at Gare Lazare with an old french fart who was discounting the role of the U.S. in liberating his country - I think he said something to the effect that the soldiers spent all their time in bordellos. I also got in an argument with an arrogant french guard at Versailles. I dealt with snotty train reservationists who refused to speak english. I did have a friendly conversation with an Eiffel Tower guard. I was also in Nice and Cannes - very snobby. I got a laugh from a train car I was riding in when it stopped in Avignon on the way from paris to Nice - I started singing Sur le pont d'Avignon. In paris, when I was trying to buy some picnic stuff from a charcuterie, I got a cold stare from Madame Proprietress, even though I followed etiquette with a "Bonjour Madame" instead of going right into "gimmee a ..." in american style. Most of the shopkeepers made me feel like I should consider myself lucky that they were there to do business, instead of making the customer welcome. The french women won't give american guys the time of day - they're only interested in screwing the arabs who are taking over their country. It was a mixed bag, but there are a lot of shiits in France.

Oh, you poor thing, the person taking your reservation in france didn't have the courtesy to speak english to you while you were in his country. That's such a shame!

alphamale said:
You'd lose the bet. I was in france as part of a big tour of the continent when I was in grad school. I was in Paris for 4 days. I was able to converse minimally - I had just taken intermediate french in school. I got in an argument at Gare Lazare with an old french fart who was discounting the role of the U.S. in liberating his country - I think he said something to the effect that the soldiers spent all their time in bordellos.

I think this may be a response to the fact that some people like to pretend that the USA won the war almost single-handly, saving Europe from the grip of fascism, rather than just being a n integral part of a strong team of dedicated nations. I know this annoys me.

alphamale said:
I also got in an argument with an arrogant french guard at Versailles. I dealt with snotty train reservationists who refused to speak english.

It's possible that the reservationists didn't know any English.

alphamale said:
I did have a friendly conversation with an Eiffel Tower guard. I was also in Nice and Cannes - very snobby. I got a laugh from a train car I was riding in when it stopped in Avignon on the way from paris to Nice - I started singing Sur le pont d'Avignon. In paris, when I was trying to buy some picnic stuff from a charcuterie, I got a cold stare from Madame Proprietress, even though I followed etiquette with a "Bonjour Madame" instead of going right into "gimmee a ..." in american style. Most of the shopkeepers made me feel like I should consider myself lucky that they were there to do business, instead of making the customer welcome. The french women won't give american guys the time of day - they're only interested in screwing the arabs who are taking over their country. It was a mixed bag, but there are a lot of shiits in France.

Sorry for making that claim about you then alphamale, I stand corrected. But still, you find people you don't hit it off with in every nation in every nation in the world, and I sure don't think that those you met were this way due to their nationality, or that France has a monopoly on such people. All countries have their good and bad.

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Oh, you poor thing, the person taking your reservation in france didn't have the courtesy to speak english to you while you were in his country. That's such a shame!

That frogs continue to pretend that their language, culture, country, and continent isn't doomed IS a shame!

Back
Top Bottom