• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

National Character

Enola/Alone said:
I think this may be a response to the fact that some people like to pretend that the USA won the war almost single-handly, saving Europe from the grip of fascism, rather than just being a n integral part of a strong team of dedicated nations. I know this annoys me.

The U.S. and U.K. (junior partner) liberated western europe. This occurred while the U.S. won the japanese half of the war damn near single-handedly.

It's possible that the reservationists didn't know any English.

English is the international language of commerce, including travel. They should take those snotty frogs and teach them a few words.

alphamale said:
That frogs continue to pretend that their language, culture, country, and continent isn't doomed IS a shame!

So, what's your feelings on Mexicans who come to the United States and demand we speak Mexican?

alphamale said:
The U.S. and U.K. (junior partner) liberated western europe. This occurred while the U.S. won the japanese half of the war damn near single-handedly.

The Russians won the war against Germany. All the major battles weren't only fought in the East, they were mostly fought before D-Day.

The only significant thing the Brits and the Yanks did before D-Day was to invade Italy and force Hitler to pin down divisions there that could have been used against the Soviets.

yeah, yeah, we all know about the Battle of the Bulge. Why were the Nazis short on fuel? Because the Russians held the oil fields.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
The Russians won the war against Germany. All the major battles weren't only fought in the East, they were mostly fought before D-Day.

The only significant thing the Brits and the Yanks did before D-Day was to invade Italy and force Hitler to pin down divisions there that could have been used against the Soviets.

yeah, yeah, we all know about the Battle of the Bulge. Why were the Nazis short on fuel? Because the Russians held the oil fields.

That's the new boring anti-american mythology. The russians fought a one front war. Why? because the U.S. was holding down the japanese. Except for that, the russians would have fought a two front war, like the U.S., and been overrun by the nazis. The russians saved themselves at stalingrad only by transferring troops from the far east - something they could do only because the japs didn't dare take on the U.S. and the russians. The russians helped cause WWII by embolding and empowering the germans with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, and also by their disastrous unprepareness on the eve of war. Without the U.S. presence, all of western europe would have been overrun by the russians. No ifs or buts, the U.S. and U.K. saved western europe.

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
So, what's your feelings on Mexicans who come to the United States and demand we speak Mexican?

Throw em in a tank of starved piranhas till they learn english! :2razz:

alphamale said:

And where do the Soviets, who closed in on Nazi Germany from the east fit into your view of the war? The US got involved in the war two years after everyone else, for selfish reasons, whereas we entered in 1939 to defend another nation. I hardly think we were a "junior partner". The Allies won the war together, and this "American won the war! We DA MAN!" attitude is really irritating..

alphamale said:
English is the international language of commerce, including travel. They should take those snotty frogs and teach them a few words.
"Frogs?" Real mature. You can't go to someone else's country and moan because they don't speak your language. If anything, expecting them to have learned English to accomodate tourists to lazy to learn their language is pretty arrogant.

Last edited:
Enola/Alone said:
The Allies won the war together, and this "American won the war!

Hey could the war have been won without the Americans?:rofl

Enola/Alone said:
And where do the Soviets, who closed in on Nazi Germany from the east fit into your view of the war? The US got involved in the war two years after everyone else, for selfish reasons, whereas we entered in 1939 to defend another nation. I hardly think we were a "junior partner". The Allies won the war together, and this "American won the war! We DA MAN!" attitude is really irritating..

Uh, you will only get that patois from american blacks, who did almost none of the fighting in WWII. The japs quickly wiped out substantial British forces in the far east, notably singapore - the U.S. was the only substantial force there, until one week before the end of the war when the soviets opportunistically attacked the japs. And the U.S. got involved for "selfish reasons"? We were attacked by japan, and germany declared war on us a few days later. What do they pour into your innocent skulls in UK government schools??? And Eisenhower was supreme commander in europe - you were the junior partner. Note how I've said elsewhere that I think Sir Winston Churchill should be man of the century for standing up against the nazis and warning about the soviets. Unfortunately, the UK seems not to produce men of that caliber anymore.

One thing I know for sure is that U.S. participation in defense of europe and eurowars produces only ingratitude. We did it four times in the 20th century: WWI, WWII, the Cold War, and the Balkans. No more - we'll let you fight your own wars. Good luck when the arab fascists develope IRBMs.

Last edited:
The Swedish Character:

- Jantelagen

A classic definition:

You shall not think that you are special.
You shall not think that you are of the same standing as us.
You shall not think that you are smarter than us.
Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
You shall not think that you know more than us.
You shall not think that you are more important than us.
You shall not think that you are good at anything.
You shall not laugh at us.
You shall not think that anyone cares about you.
You shall not think that you can teach us anything.

- Lagom It means just enough, moderation, and has wide application.

I knew a swedish guy who restored Mercedes cars. He said swedes would drive by in glare at him for having three cars.

- The swedes don't like the idea of leaders in a group, rather the group should form a consensus.

- Swedes, in my experience, are fairly shy. It's kind of amusing to see one of these blonde giants, obvious descendant from Vikings, who appears afraid of his own shadow.

- Everyone has a personne nummer (sp?) - you need it to do anything.

- Swedes are sort of isolated from the world, and imho a little naive.

Food:

- They cook herring in a way that stinks.

- Lingonberries are a big deal there.

- They have this drink aquavit, that will dissolve your teeth.

- Some of the bread ("ragbrod"?) has so much fiber in it, you could make a shirt out of it.

- They would have eaten Bambi.

Teacher touched it, now it's teacher's thread.
Off to the basement, with its head.

Back
Top Bottom